• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wal-Mart to support gun control?

WalkingWolf

http://news.yahoo.com/wal-mart-join-biden-gun-170139471.html

"Wal-Mart Stores Inc. will join talks at the White House on Thursday about gun control and safety.

Vice President Joe Biden is conducting a series of gatherings this week aimed at building a consensus around proposals to curb gun violence following the deadly shooting at a Newtown, Conn., elementary school last month.

The vice president is meeting Wednesday with victims groups and gun-safety organizations. On Thursday, Biden will meet with the National Rifle Association and other gun-owner groups. Meetings with representatives from the video-game and entertainment industries are also planned.

Wal-Mart said it previously had not planned to attend the meeting because of its senior leaders' schedule and had spoken in advance with the Vice President's office to share its perspective.

"We underestimated the expectation to attend the meeting on Thursday in person, so we are sending an appropriate representative to participate," company spokesman David Tovar said in a statement Wednesday. "We take this issue very seriously and are committed staying engaged in this discussion as the administration and Congress work toward a consensus on the right path forward."

The world's largest retailer said it has had ongoing conversations with the Obama administration, Congress, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's office, sportsmen groups, suppliers and others. The company said it has tried to strike the right balance between serving hunters and sportsmen and ensuring that it sells firearms responsibly.

President Barack Obama wants Biden to report back to him with policy proposals by the end of the month. Obama has vowed to move swiftly on the recommendations, and a proposed package is expected to include both legislative proposals and executive action.
"
So???

Aknazer

Didn't Wal-Mart get hammered for one of their clerks selling a pistol to a woman under 21, who was visibly upset and she then killed herself with that gun?

I can't remember specific details, or if it was Wal-Mart, but Mas Ayoob has talked about such an incident that led to a "national chain of big box stores" pulling handguns from the shelves as a result of a settlement involving a sale to an underage woman who killed herself with the gun in the late 1980s-early 1990s. Was that Wal-Mart? or does anyone know if this anecdote even is factual?

I did a bit of searching and couldn't find the exact reason for why Walmart quit selling handguns (exception being in Alaska where they never stopped selling handguns). Supposedly there was a court-case though of a man who bought a gun from Walmart and then went to a courthouse and shot a judge and his attorney and Walmart was being sued in the case even though they followed Federal law. The guy was apparently mentally defecient but there was no way for Walmart to know that.

WalkingWolf

I did a bit of searching and couldn't find the exact reason for why Walmart quit selling handguns (exception being in Alaska where they never stopped selling handguns). Supposedly there was a court-case though of a man who bought a gun from Walmart and then went to a courthouse and shot a judge and his attorney and Walmart was being sued in the case even though they followed Federal law. The guy was apparently mentally defecient but there was no way for Walmart to know that.

I don't remember Walmart selling handguns, must be oldtimers disease. But then there was no Walmart in the Fl Keys. I do remember that at one time KMart sold handguns a very long time ago.

motoxmann

Obama has vowed to move swiftly on the recommendations, and a proposed package is expected to include both legislative proposals and executive action.
"

how could the president possibly issue executive action that infringes the 2A? seriously, how is it legally possible?

Aknazer

how could the president possibly issue executive action that infringes the 2A? seriously, how is it legally possible?

Easy, the courts "assume" any action taken by other government branches is legal/constitutional until it is proven otherwise. After all, "the people" wouldn't elect officials who would do illegal/unconstitutional things...

OC for ME

From BAFT & E to firearm retailers: "Please forward all Form 4473s to a federal office building near you, quick like a bunny. Thanks for your assistance."