• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jocularity

phred

While doing yard work this late afternoon, a census lady came to the house.

After some brief dialogue about the fact that I already sent in the form, she definitely moves to see my hip better and says

Mmm, oh my, that's a gun you're wearing

Yup, sure is.

That's kind of unusual, isn't it?

Not for me. I almost always have one on.

Oh

It is certainly within my rights, isn't it?

Yes, I guess so.

You know, there are varmints about - both two and four legged.

ok...

But don't worry, you're not one of them.

After a bit of light conversation about being prepared she drove off knowing more than she wanted to.

I bet she goes home tonight and says you'll never believe what I saw today...

My comments are bold (because I am not docile!)
Her comments are Italics (because she looked Mediterranean?)

:banana:

phred

Thanks for the heads up that they're still about, I had kind'a thought that was behind us.

From what I understand, there were/are two parts to the Census. The first part was to completed by every household in the Spring of this year. It was a "short form".

The second part, which is much longer, will be filled out, eventually by everyone, but staggered over a couple of years and then repeated every few years to provide an update to the federal and state governments. The "governments" seem to need to know more about us so as to "keep representation and relief properly distributed". - Her words not mine.

I did not give any "identifying" information that would connect my name to the information. However, I suppose some bureaucrat could connect the dots. Maybe a pumpkin or a turkey will emerge.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
A census worker stopped by my house some time ago even though I had sent in my form; filled out with the least possible aamount of information and an attached copy of the pertinent section of the constitution. I wasn't home, so he left a note to call him to schedule an appointment. I called and told him that I had already sent in the form. He told me they had lost a large number of them.

Anyway, I told him that he needn't stop by again because I could give him the information over the phone. I proceeded to tell him how many people live at this address and that was all the information I felt obliged to give. He tried to get a few more tidbits out of me but I politely told him that I didn't appreciate the government electioneering and deciding how to allocate funds for unconstitutional programs off of my census data. He then said that was all he technicality needed, thanked me for my time, and I haven't heard from anyone since.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
But they have your address, your phone number and they know you are "rebellious".

Sleep (with a) tight (grip on your guns).

:cry:

I guess we'll have to see how *67 worked.....:D
I think the census workers themselves probably don't care too much as long as they can put a check in the box that says they did their job.

Too bad I lost all of my firearms in a tragic beaver hunting accident. ;)

Last edited:

msteinhilber

Funny thing with a couple Census workers I've run into this year, the two I've encountered had a full blown power-trip going on. Wasn't going to get any more cooperation from me other than a simple "2" for the number of people living in the household. They tout how I'll be hurting my community if I don't be thorough and complete it entirely, bull. The local communities the govt. would in theory give out our tax dollars to have all of the demographic data they could need available to them already IMO.

Anyways, I moved shortly after my first visit from a Census worker at my old house when he came by to chastise me for not filling out the form completely. He was to return with his "ACAS" as he called it, assistant census area supervisor I think it was? I moved before then, and apparently the individual whom lived where I moved to simply had not sent their form in at all. This spurred visit two, and this one really pissed me off as one - the guy came off as a holier than thou "take a peek at my badge I'm super" attitude and most importantly, the guy insisted I had to complete another census form for this residence as well since the former individual did not. Sorry, me and my son have already been "enumerated" at my former address - isn't happening here too.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Census workers are vermin in my opinion

Great job Phred! I had THREE visits from the census vermin. The first time I was working on my car in my garage and the vermin just walked right into my garage and started talking to me. That really irritated me. He said the census bureau had not received any reply from this address and I informed him I mailed it in as soon as I got it with the only LEGAL question answered. "5" is all you are getting from me. I told him the rest of the questions are unconstitutional and will not be answered. He left.

Five days later he shows up at my front door (same guy). He saw I was miffed and said "5 right?" and turned and left.

A week later his supervisor and his wife show up (his wife stayed in their car) and my wife answered the door. That was not a pretty sight. I recorded the entire conversation (9 minutes 36 seconds) with my Creative Vado. I don't think the two legged vermin even noticed me holding it pointed right at his face. He tried to get me to answer the other questions. Nope. I informed him of the only thing the Census could ask for was the number of people and nothing more. He tried to get around the Constitution and then told me he had been in the Navy. So I told him that he is violating his Oath that he took to support and uphold the U.S. Constitution when he joined the Navy. I told him he was a traitor and should be arrested and tried for treason. I also told him if he came back he would be charged with trespassing. He said "Good luck with that". So then I informed him of the hundreds of census workers who had been arrested for trespassing. He said "I can't promise that someone else won't be back" and left.

No one has been back and next time I will let them see my "Strong side".

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I had a census worker show up that wanted to inspect the upstairs portion of my business (my Attic area), he said "from the outside, it looks like it could be used as a residence".

I sternly but politely asked him to leave, and stated to him again that my business does not have the amenities to be used as a residence.
So the next day I get a phone call from a census worker, asking how many people live upstairs at my business.

Captain Nemo

Feb 16 2010
Fines can be Imposed
While it is the last thing they want to do, the U.S. Census Bureau can impose fines for failing to answer the 2010 Census questions or for intentionally providing false information.

According to Title 13, Section 221 (Census, Refusal or neglect to answer questions; false answers) of the United States Code, persons who fail or refuse to respond to the mail-back census form, or refuse to respond to a follow-up census taker can be fined up to $100. Persons who knowingly provide false information to the census can be fined up to $500.

So far the Census Bureau has offered no indication that it actually intends to charge violators or impose these fines, but if you fail to complete and return your 2010 Census questionnaire, a census-taker will be paying you a visit.

Personal Follow-up Visits
From April through July 2010, some 1.4 million census takers will make door-to-door visits to all households that failed to respond to the mail-back Census 2010 questionnaires. The Census worker will assist a member of the household -- who must be at least 15-years old -- in completing the Census 2010 survey form. Census workers can be identified by a badge and Census 2010 bag.

Privacy of Census Responses
Under federal law, all employees and officials of the Census Bureau are prohibited from sharing a person's personal information with anyone else, including welfare agencies, the Immigration and Naturalization Service, the Internal Revenue Service, courts, police and the military. Violation of this law carries penalties of $5,000 in fines and up to five years in prison.

My opinion: The intent of the census was to provide a means to determine the correct number of representatives in the House of representatives. In addition it is used to determine the number of electoral votes each state is accorded. Beyond that I feel the census violates the privacy act and may in fact be a violation of our constitutional rights as contained in amendments four and five.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
That's why the ACS was instituted, to remove any hint of constitutionality and formalize penalties for non-compliance.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Community_Survey
However, Section 221 of Title 13 U.S.C., makes it a misdemeanor to refuse or willfully neglect to complete the questionnaire or answer questions posed by census takers and imposes a fine of not more than $100. This fine is changed by the Sentencing Reform Act of 1984 from $100 to not more than $5,000. To date, no person has ever been charged with a crime for refusing to answer the ACS survey, which several U.S. Representatives have challenged as unauthorized by the census act and violative of the Right to Financial Privacy Act. The Department of Commerce states that it is "not an enforcement agency."
Jocularity, jocularity jocularity Bwaahahaha! Remember the M*A*S*H episode ?

My ship's CO tried "relaxed alertness" after finding the maneuvering room in a condition of somnolent alert. Foa a few days thereafter we reclined at 'attention' when ever the EO or CO was around.

M

McX

right on phred! looks like you got a new job with the dept. of education! teach on! carry on!

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Wonder How Many People Told The Census Workers To Get Lost?

I know I did and my entire family did as well. My family is spread out in five different states and all were visited by the census workers. All census workers left when told to leave and were only provided with what the Constitution authorizes.

It matters not what "Federal Law" or any other "law" is written to demand that we violate our 4th Amendment right, the bottom line is the Constitution specifically authorizes only one thing and that is all those vermin are getting from me.

Open carry (2nd Amendment) right goes hand in hand with all our other rights that are protected by the Constitution. If we don't stand up to tyranny for all of our rights then why stand up for just one?

Everyone should read the Constitution, The Federalist and Anti-Federalist Papers and not be afraid of the federal government. Stand up and be counted...and that is all!

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Everyone should read the Constitution, The Federalist and Anti-Federalist Papers and not be afraid of the federal government.
Angelo Codevilla made reference to The Federalist Papers. It took me two minutes and 99¢ to have a copy in my Kindle. I'll stick with my print Constitution, The Exhaustive Concordance To The United States Constitution: with Topical Index and Rapid Reference Constitution, Dennis Bizzoco Editor, the Firm Foundation Press, Chattanooga 1994. "To The Word"