• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Modesto PD, Officer "Smith" gets it! Good supportive LEO

Livermoron

Hi All,

While in Modesto today (my daughter's birthday party at John's Incredible Pizza just off Hwy-99) I had a rather lousy end to an otherwise nice evening with the family, when I came out to my truck to find my door lock punched and my $1500 NAV/Stereo had pried itself out of the dashboard and grown legs... Crap!

Called local PD (Modesto), informed them of the dirty deed, and requested an officer to make a report. I also informed the dispatcher that I was UOC. Within 20 or so minutes 2 cruisers showed up. I suspect the 2nd unit was because I was UOC? Anyway, Officer "Smith" (we will call him) and partner (sorry I did not get his partner's name) approached and asked what had happened and followed up, after my response, with a question to the affect of, where do you have your weapon?

I turned my strong side toward them with both hands holding my cell phone (as I had just finished another call) and officer "Smith" asked if he may check my weapon condition. "Sure" I said and I informed him that I would just hang on to my cell phone while he made his E-check. He did so in about 5 seconds and placed the weapon back in my holster. His partner commented, "..That's a nice holster" in regard to my Serpa (which he also had). I smiled and gave a nod.

Officer "Smith" called in "code 4" and the other unit left.

Officer "Smith" asked the usual questions regarding the vehicle, its contents , etc. and inspected the damage and such. He let me know that I was the 4th one so far tonight with the identical MO. The most recent previous one being just about 100 yards away in an adjacent parking lot less than an hour earlier.

The officer then began to ask several questions about Open Carry as well.. He had apparently met a few OC'ers off duty in recent months and knew of Adnan Shahab's CA State Assembly race as well. Officer "Smith" was quite cordial, professional, and forthcoming with his support for OC in our conversation.

At the conclusion of "Smith's" report taking, he gave me my case number and wished me a good evening. Luckily, my vehicle door would still close (heavy off and on rain all the way back home to Livermore). I saddled up and headed out.

About 5 minutes into my drive Office "Smith" called me on the cell and told me candidly, "I support Open Carry, and I wish more people would do it." That was, of course, a great thing to hear.

Officer "Smith", I commend you for your honorable service to the community and hope to meet more police officers in the field that are blessed with similar enlightenment and ideals.

FYI - I refer to Officer "Smith" as Smith to shield him from any possible internal reprisal in his department...

Carry On!

Livermoron :cool:

slowfiveoh

I hope more people read this.

What an outstanding officer.

Before people get irritated with the fact he performed an E-check, simply consider that he may have done so under duress or threat of reprimand.

Sounds like a hell of a guy. :banana:

Firemark

I would only add, he also might have done the E check cause thats the only thing he was taught and told he must do. Having now encountered an OC'r and seen first hand for himself that they are everyday ordinary law abiding citizens he had an opportunity to make his own personal assesment, judgement, and profile (yes LE profile, dont believe what you hear or see on TV). The phone call afterwards in support of OC was his way of telling you without being recorded, "I support you guys, just dont want to be recorded doing it." Kudos to Livermoron for representing to LE the best side of the OC movement.

For those that read this, the amount of Patrol officers that support or are not intimidated or offended by OC is very high, the percentage of bad attitude and negative LE towards OC is very small, usally the ones with ego problems and something to prove. And that something to prove are the ones who usually want to take the UOC call from dispatch to get a chance to try and bully.

Livermoron I suggest contacting officer Smiths supervisors with a letter of praise and commendation on his professionalism and tact. Officers dont get to many of those so it will mean more to him, and there is a good chance that if the letter if written well it may be used at lineup at the beginning of the shift as a teaching tool for other officers.

I hope more people read this.

What an outstanding officer.

Before people get irritated with the fact he performed an E-check, simply consider that he may have done so under duress or threat of reprimand.

Sounds like a hell of a guy. :banana:

Iopencarry

Rich,
Jon put the officers name in quotes because Smith is not his name. Jon was/is being professional and nice to a good officer for the officers sake.

"FYI - I refer to Officer "Smith" as Smith to shield him from any possible internal reprisal in his department..."

hgreen

Did you explain to them that the e-check was totally optional and that they were under no legal pressure to perform the optional inspection?

Livermoron

Did you explain to them that the e-check was totally optional and that they were under no legal pressure to perform the optional inspection?

Hi Again All,

It was raining and my vehicle had just been broken into. I was not too concerned, at the time, about what I was optimistic would be a simple load condition check. I know, I could have delivered a cordial statement as to my opposition to the optional E-check. Thanks Harley.

I will absolutely pen a letter to the department commending officer "Smith". :)

Carry On,

Livermoron

Livermoron

Update - I got my truck back today. :) Door fixed, dash panel replaced, new (super sweet) stereo installed... Killer alarm system installed. Let's just say that the next time some doofus opens my door without permission, he will have at least one less ear drum to serve him.. ;-) Those new super loud high-frequency piezo horns are nice and compact and hide well inside the cab of the truck...

Carry On,

Livermoron
:cool:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Kinda late to the game on this encounter, but I don't think somebody who violates one's constitutional rights and then later claims to be a secret supporter of one's rights is worthy of praise. Livermoron called the police to file a report on the theft and the first thing the cops do is treat him as if he is violating the law.