• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Christmas and buying local

cleveland

*Disclaimer* This is a long post but I think it really hits the value of most of the members of this group.

Christmas 2011 --

Birth of a New Tradition As the Chinese factories are kicking into high gear to provide Americans with monstrous piles of cheaply produced goods -- merchandise that has been produced at the expense of American labor. This year will be different. This year Americans will give the gift of genuine concern for other Americans. There is no longer an excuse that, at gift giving time, nothing can be found that is produced by American hands. Oh.... Yes there is! It is time to think outside the box, people. Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box, wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper? Everyone -- yes EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift certificates from your local American hair salon or barber? Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking about some health improvement. Who wouldn't appreciate getting their car detailed? Small American owned detail shops and car washes would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think nothing of plunking down the Benjamins on a Chinese-made flat-screen TV? Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway plowed all winter, or games at the local golf course. There are a gazillion owner-run restaurants -- all offering gift certificates. And, if your intended isn't the fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember, folks this isn't about big National chains -- this is about supporting your home town Americans with their financial lives on the line to keep their doors open. How many people couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American working guy? Thinking about a heartfelt gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services of a local cleaning lady for a day. My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can find some young guy who is struggling to get his repair business up and running.

OK, you were looking for something more personal. Local crafts people spin their own wool and knit them into scarves. They make jewelry, and pottery and beautiful wooden boxes. Plan your holiday outings at local, owner operated restaurants and leave your server a nice tip. And, how about going out to see a play or ballet at your hometown theater. Musicians need love too, so find a venue showcasing local bands. Honestly people, do you REALLY need to buy another ten thousand Chinese lights for the house? When you buy a five dollar string of light, about fifty cents stays in the community. If you have those kinds of bucks to burn, leave the mailman, trash guy or babysitter a nice BIG tip.

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about US (We the People), encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we could not imagine. THIS is the new American Christmas tradition!!

This is a revolution of caring about each other, and isn't that what Christmas is about?

touchdowntodd

the wife and i actually had a conversation this morning already about this ..

were rather young, but still concerned about our future ...

that being said, it sure makes it easier to plead my case for either a new 1911 (will be my first), or a performance center S&W revolver

bmwguy11

The only problem is you are saying instead of buying an apple, buy this American made socket wrench. Ok but how does that solve my needs when I need an apple and not a socket wrench? My wife and I love to support local businesses and we go out of our way to do so. However if we need a tv we will buy a tv.

Also there are 2 different issues at hand. You mentioned American labor, so I'm going to assume you are referring to US based companies that ship jobs overseas. Well that happens for 2 reasons. First is our government and the second is American labor, particularly unionized labor. Their demands for salary and benefits are ridiculously high in some cases, compared to what the employer gets in return, so they ship the jobs overseas. The US used to be the best and most cost effective labor in the world. But people need to stop demanding 6 figure salaries and huge benefits for their entry level job skills.

Anyways I digress. But it might help your cause more if you can give American alternatives for the same product. If I need an apple tell me where to buy an American made apple. Not a wrench. :p

Last edited:

cleveland

This is not about buying yourself a TV or apple, this is about alternative gift giving. I did not write this, I am only passing it on. I think it speaks to American owned, American made, local, and small business. I never would have thought of buying mom snow removal service, but I bet she would appreciate it more then some China made item that was given last Christmas.

Of course any of us can give a million examples of what we CAN'T DO, but can we come up with examples of what we CAN do? We can all make excuses as to why we are not being part of the solution (myself included) and this was posted as an opportunity to think about the up coming gift giving season and what we CAN do.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
I Go Out Of My Way To Buy "Made In The U.S.A."...

Folks, even our FOOD is imported from other countries. The chicken treats for my dogs are made in China as is just about everything else. However...if you look hard enough you CAN find most if not all of what you need still made in the U.S.A.

Here is a site to get you started: http://www.madeinusa.org/

I buy my cast iron from Lodge Logic in Tennessee...all made in the U.S.A. except for their porcelain coated stuff (it's made in China).

All U.S. made firearms make great Christmas gifts! I am looking for my next "Christmas gift" now!

anmut

Honestly, while it's a nice thought to buy local, retailers import their goods from somewhere too. Most, from overseas. I have personal experience as I work for a local retail store. You can buy the same products from me or the big box store and the only real difference is who the middle man is.

If you want to help the local guy we need to vote in a few good men that will boost our manufacturing in this country.

M

McX

Folks, even our FOOD is imported from other countries. The chicken treats for my dogs are made in China as is just about everything else. However...if you look hard enough you CAN find most if not all of what you need still made in the U.S.A.

Here is a site to get you started: http://www.madeinusa.org/

I buy my cast iron from Lodge Logic in Tennessee...all made in the U.S.A. except for their porcelain coated stuff (it's made in China).

All U.S. made firearms make great Christmas gifts! I am looking for my next "Christmas gift" now!

from what i understand he has a American made auto mechanic too!

Vandil

The only problem is you are saying instead of buying an apple, buy this American made socket wrench. Ok but how does that solve my needs when I need an apple and not a socket wrench? My wife and I love to support local businesses and we go out of our way to do so. However if we need a tv we will buy a tv.

There are a number of American owned companies that assemble/sell TV's. Components on the other hand are made in Taiwan and assembled here. Which is just fine with me let them poison there own land with lax regulations and questionable by product dumping.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

Unfortunately, counterfeit chips are in American weapons systems.

There are a number of American owned companies that assemble/sell TV's. Components on the other hand are made in Taiwan and assembled here. Which is just fine with me let them poison there own land with lax regulations and questionable by product dumping.

http://www.iwatchnews.org/2011/11/07/7323/counterfeit-chips-plague-pentagon-weapons-systems

We have surrendered the ability to mass produce ICs.

onlurker

(I realize this isn't your post directly but)

You see, Christmas is no longer about draining American pockets so that China can build another glittering city. Christmas is now about caring about US (We the People), encouraging American small businesses to keep plugging away to follow their dreams. And, when we care about other Americans, we care about our communities, and the benefits come back to us in ways we could not imagine. THIS is the new American Christmas tradition!!

Do big-box retail AMERICAN employees not deserve the same respect as the tradesmen/woman to which this article refers to?

09jisaac

(I realize this isn't your post directly but)

Do big-box retail AMERICAN employees not deserve the same respect as the tradesmen/woman to which this article refers to?

Get over yourself. Big-box retailers would sale american goods if they thought they could turn a profit. And if goods made in the good ol' USA were the only goods being sold then that would be all you would find at walmart. You don't get to be as big as walmart for being a fool, they'll be smart enough to sell American goods if thats what we demand.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran

This is a revolution of caring about each other, and isn't that what Christmas is about?

and all this time i thought it was about the birth of Christ!
jesus%2Bvs%2Bsanta.jpg

Last edited:

MilProGuy

Thank you, cleveland, for your wonderful post.

You've presented so many great gift ideas that had not even occurred to me.

Let me be the first to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas!

onlurker

Get over yourself. Big-box retailers would sale american goods if they thought they could turn a profit. And if goods made in the good ol' USA were the only goods being sold then that would be all you would find at walmart. You don't get to be as big as walmart for being a fool, they'll be smart enough to sell American goods if thats what we demand.

I wasn't speaking to the "problem" as to whether the goods are American made or not, but to the idea that we should spend our hard earned dollars on American workers. If it wasn't for the demand of goods said big-box employees wouldn't have a job just the same as the service workers who seal our driveways. Besides, spending our dollars on foreign goods actually helps more than people realize.