• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun enthusiasts "crash" CeaseFireOregon gun buyback in Portland

We-the-People

Yesterday a group of pro gun types "crashed" a cease fire Oregon gun buyback in Portland. The Oregonian actually wrote a fairly decent story on the issue and there's a GREAT quote from Portland PD as well.

How does this involve Open Carry? I was there OC the whole time and no LEO contacts at all even though a half dozen of more Portland PD officers were present the assist the Cease Fire folks.

Read the Oregonian story here.

NOTE: the "Official Police" revolver was officer owned per the person who sold it to a pro gun purchaser, the Oregonian just missed that little part and said the barrel imprint showed that point. Probably a confusion in communications between the purchaser and the reporter.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/08/gun-buying_enthusiasts_crash_f.html

Cremator75

I was there to, and finally met "We-The-People". Even though I did not find something I wanted to buy I was still there for the principal of it.

The cops were respectful, and knew what we were doing was legal as the article stated.

Sent from my EVO 4G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Sounds like a fun time, and you got positive press out of it too. Can't beat that.

David West

I did very well at the event. I turned in a $50 .25acp junker from a pawn shop for $75, got an old .22 for $20 and re-sold it to another buyer on the sidewalk for $100, and purchased 5 firearms for $500 total. A .303 Enfield in good condition (but with the stock modified), a Remington Mohawk 600 in .308 (the stock is ugly but the metal is great), a S&W Model 10-8 .38SPL with a holster and a couple speed loaders, a S&W Victory model in excellent condition with a 4-digit serial number, and a Llama IIIa miniature 1911-style .380 in great shape.

We-the-People

Sounds like a fun time, and you got positive press out of it too. Can't beat that.

Positive press from the Oregonian AND acknowledgement from Portland PD that:
1) Gun buybacks don't take gang banger guns off the street
2) Buying guns on the sidewalk before they get turned in is legal
3) That the guys (us) on the sidewalk were not "bad guys"

Does it get any better?

HareTigger

It was an interesting day, that's for sure. Next time more comfortable shoes, though, since we couldn't go back to the car without tipping off that we were parked in "their" parking lot.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I did very well at the event. I turned in a $50 .25acp junker from a pawn shop for $75, got an old .22 for $20 and re-sold it to another buyer on the sidewalk for $100, and purchased 5 firearms for $500 total. A .303 Enfield in good condition (but with the stock modified), a Remington Mohawk 600 in .308 (the stock is ugly but the metal is great), a S&W Model 10-8 .38SPL with a holster and a couple speed loaders, a S&W Victory model in excellent condition with a 4-digit serial number, and a Llama IIIa miniature 1911-style .380 in great shape.

More of a gun show than a gun buy-back :D

45 Fan

How i read the article:

The people who brought guns and gave them to the foundation lost a lot of money while the gun owners made a heap and/or gained possession of expensive, possibly rare, firearms. And a Sgt in Portland PD is a decent guy who you should be nice to because he isn't a power hungry idiot.

If you have someone in your family who you don't trust with a spork, don't let them near the guns.

Thats a good summary...

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
"The group did not venture into the parking lot to solicit potential sellers, having been instructed by Portland police at last year's event to keep their distance."

Under what rule/law could the police dictate such a thing?

KBCraig

More of a gun show than a gun buy-back :D

No, the prices are higher at a gun show.

No kidding, considering how David West scored!

In the C&R world, we call that CARLOSian, in honor of our infamous CAPS LOCK buddy across the river in Vancouver.

We-the-People

"The group did not venture into the parking lot to solicit potential sellers, having been instructed by Portland police at last year's event to keep their distance."

Under what rule/law could the police dictate such a thing?

The parking lot was allegedly private property belonging to a sports team and loaned/leased to the CeaseFire folks. Not sure if there was a lot of public money that went into that sports arena but it so the "private property" might be challengeable. On the other hand, the sidewalks are definitely public and so we stayed on the sidewalks (for the most part).