• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Warrior Mentality, 7 year old girl intervenes in kindnapping, saves cousin

EMNofSeattle

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Not a whole lot of info there, and especially not a whole lot about what/how A-Nari stopped the perp from carrying off her cousin.

That being said, this may be one more example of the sort of semi-Violent Criminal Acto (sVCA)r we have seen a lot of recently - those who cave in and either surrender or kill themselves as soon as any resistance is encountered. The problem I see is that until the event is over you do not know if you are dealing with a VCA or a sVCA.

stay safe.

SFCRetired

From the little that was in the article, it seems that the perpetrator is more in need of a mental health facility than he is of a prison sentence.

It does seem to me that we have a lot more mentally ill people running around now than we ever used to have. I would hazard a guess that it is because it is much harder now to put someone in a mental hospital, and keep them there, than it used to be.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Brandin's grandmother, Phyllis Singleton, said Moore grabbed the boy, and said "God told him" to take him, he wasn't letting him go....

Moore is behind bars facing attempted kidnapping charges, a 4-year-old boy is safe, and 7-year-old girl is being hailed as a hero.

Well, there you go, GOD told him .. no higher authority than that ....... that will be his defense I guess .. I'm sure it will turn out well for him

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The next time someone tells me that self defense isn't viable, for whatever reason, I'm sending them to this case.

So easy, a 7 year old could do it!

Several thoughts on this:

First is that the appropriateness here is nebulous at best - it is neither OC nor RKBA related.

The second one is that, while it worked in this case only because the attacker gave up/was not determined, she risked the probability of becoming an additional victim. That would not have benefited her brother or her family. I do commend her on her spirit and resolve.

Lastly, the problem highlights the need to have very young children supervised, under the control of an older and more capable person. The need for vigilance can never be ignored- the nothing-ever-happens excuse should never be a default condition.

A responsible adult OCing in the vicinity of the children would have very, very likely caused this to never occur in the first place. There, it is now slightly connected to the purpose of this forum :)

EMNofSeattle

Several thoughts on this:

First is that the appropriateness here is nebulous at best - it is neither OC nor RKBA related.

The second one is that, while it worked in this case only because the attacker gave up/was not determined, she risked the probability of becoming an additional victim. That would not have benefited her brother or her family. I do commend her on her spirit and resolve.

Lastly, the problem highlights the need to have very young children supervised, under the control of an older and more capable person. The need for vigilance can never be ignored- the nothing-ever-happens excuse should never be a default condition.

A responsible adult OCing in the vicinity of the children would have very, very likely caused this to never occur in the first place. There, it is now slightly connected to the purpose of this forum :)

I do agree with you, that is a sad commentary of this girls family is that appears she's the one who is responsible for her younger family members and she's not even in middle school yet. that was a thought of mine, where is her mother/father/aunt/uncle/etc when this is going on. why is a 7 year old the responsible one? on the other hand, maybe this particular girl will give me reason to hope that situation improves, if she keeps this in mind and matures even more into adulthood maybe she'll be the one to begin being responsible in this family....

EMNofSeattle

Besides Grape, to my defense we did have a thread involving self defense with a handheld rotary saw against a BB gun.....

Still I'll remember that next time I post in this forum, sorry bout that.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Besides Grape, to my defense we did have a thread involving self defense with a handheld rotary saw against a BB gun.....

Still I'll remember that next time I post in this forum, sorry bout that.

Appreciate it - It would have been fine in the Social Lounge; "True Tales of Self Defense" is intended for stories of defensive uses of guns by LAC.

In this case though, I see something worth a one time exception. The young lady for all of her tender years exhibited an inner strength, a will to not allow family members to become victims.....and she did it with an "empty hand."