• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

im new to this

ronnieamaral

is it legal to carry a full mag and a round in the chamber in the state of arizona hope you guys can help a new open carryer

March Hare

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum!
You will find a lot of helpful people here, don't be afraid to ask questions, someone will answer.

Here's what I tell my out of state visitors when they ask about AZ gun laws.

First; I am NOT a lawyer, check the facts and laws yourself, so you are sure you understand them! (Link to ARS below)

It is completely legal to carry with a full magazine and with a round in the chamber, that's how I do it.

In addition:

If you are:
Over 18: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly.
Over 21: No permit is required to carry loaded or unloaded, openly or discretely.
You can carry whichever way you prefer and that is legal for your age range.

There are some exceptions;

You can't carry openly into any place that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises.
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises without a concealed carry permit. Your firearm must remain concealed, and, you can NOT consume alcohol!
You can't carry discretely into any place that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises if they have signs posted prohibiting firearms. (They don't get my money...)

Private businesses can ask you to leave, if you don't you can be charged with trespassing. (None of my money there either!)

No carrying into Federal government buildings or onto school grounds. The 1000' GFSZ law isn't enforced in AZ.
Be careful around reservation land, they have their own rules and it can get dicey.

Of course, drinking and carrying is a bad combination, don't!

When in a vehicle, you may carry discretely if you are over 21. If stopped by a LEO, you might be asked if you have a firearm, if you are asked, you must tell them. They might take the firearm for the duration of the stop.

AzcdlFred posted this:
I highly recommend you print and read this document: Arizona Gun Owners Guide
It's the best resource you can find for Arizona's gun laws and what they mean.
It's not free, but well worth the small price.

It's always best to go directly to the source of the law to find out where you stand!
The law as written: Arizona Revised Statutes - 13-3102. Misconduct involving weapons; defenses; classification; definitions

That covers most of the firearms law where it pertains to personal carry, as I understand it. INAL!
If I've missed or misunderstood anything, please let me know and I'll update my info.

-MH

Last edited:

sharkey

Based on your questions in this thread and the other one I would recommend either professional training or you ask someone here to shadow you for a bit.

FreeInAZ

Based on your questions in this thread and the other one I would recommend either professional training or you ask someone here to shadow you for a bit.

Read the book as suggested it is less than $20 and covers many things you'll need to know.

http://www.gunlaws.com/agog.htm

Sharkey's idea is a good one. Until you get comfortable OCing it can help to have someone with you until you get it all straight in your head. I came from the mid-west where open carry is becoming more common, but here in AZ we have it much better in my opinion. No permission slips needed to carry discreetly (21 & older) or open(18 & older)! That's how it should be. :dude:
I'm in the very Northest Corner of Pheonix (N. Cave Creek Rd & Carefree Hwy.) if you're ever in the area send me PM we'll do lunch. Been OCing for years back in the Mid-West but Hands down AZ has got the best gun law in the Country in my honest opinion.