• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long .... Really??

brk913

Only problem with that thought is there is no backlog with the FBI, that is a made up excuse, FBI background checks are done electronically and are usually returned in 24 hours or less. A state background check takes 45 seconds, I watched it being done....Any town claiming that there is some sort of hold up like that has to explain to me why Windsor can issue permits on a regular basis in 4-10 days...

Last edited:

Rich B

backlog on FBI checks.

There is no backlog on FBI checks. Just like the 'local PDs have 8 weeks to issue' line is a myth, the FBI backlog is a myth. The IAFIS system issues permits in 27-72 minutes and is completely automated. Our SPBI process is the one that was backlogged, and it was not for any other reason than they simply did not want to make it go any faster. That has been cleared up.

http://ctcarry.com/SPBIBacklog/Background

Connecticut Carry has been monitoring the situation as well as working on methods of diagnosing and fixing the system in the future as well.

One of the things that has been occurring is that the national background check has been getting sent back to local issuing authorities before the state background check. Since the national background check is all that is necessary for the PD to issue the permit, the 5 days/1 week limitations are extremely important.

HenryG

And here I am with the money that my wife doesn't know about, burning a hole in my pocket just waiting to get spent at the local gun shop! Doesn't the state know that they are going to get 6.35%. :banghead:

davidmcbeth

Banned
And here I am with the money that my wife doesn't know about, burning a hole in my pocket just waiting to get spent at the local gun shop! Doesn't the state know that they are going to get 6.35%. :banghead:

That's nice, going to get her a LadySmith?

davidmcbeth

Banned
There is no backlog on FBI checks. Just like the 'local PDs have 8 weeks to issue' line is a myth, the FBI backlog is a myth. The IAFIS system issues permits in 27-72 minutes and is completely automated. Our SPBI process is the one that was backlogged, and it was not for any other reason than they simply did not want to make it go any faster. That has been cleared up.

http://ctcarry.com/SPBIBacklog/Background

Connecticut Carry has been monitoring the situation as well as working on methods of diagnosing and fixing the system in the future as well.

One of the things that has been occurring is that the national background check has been getting sent back to local issuing authorities before the state background check. Since the national background check is all that is necessary for the PD to issue the permit, the 5 days/1 week limitations are extremely important.

The main issue I see is the backlog at the board ... freaking > 6 mos for a hearing date? They never read Chapter 54 I guess. In my hearing I won't be there to make friends .. they are going to hear about it very loudly.

One should have a hearing 30 days after filing an appeal. There is no reason why not ... the board can meet 7 days a week.

Last edited:

KIX

The main issue I see is the backlog at the board ... freaking > 6 mos for a hearing date? They never read Chapter 54 I guess. In my hearing I won't be there to make friends .. they are going to hear about it very loudly.

One should have a hearing 30 days after filing an appeal. There is no reason why not ... the board can meet 7 days a week.

There is a limit to what we can expect as our current system it is a volunteer board. That being said, there is plenty of room to fix the system so there doesn't need to be this volume of appeals - which is down considerably. If this was a couple years ago, you'd be waiting 18 months for your hearing.

That being said, this week, the courts handed down another decision in the Kuck/Goldberg v. Danaher case that says your wait is not too long - so don't expect any changes soon.

Jonathan

davidmcbeth

Banned
There is a limit to what we can expect as our current system it is a volunteer board. That being said, there is plenty of room to fix the system so there doesn't need to be this volume of appeals - which is down considerably. If this was a couple years ago, you'd be waiting 18 months for your hearing.

That being said, this week, the courts handed down another decision in the Kuck/Goldberg v. Danaher case that says your wait is not too long - so don't expect any changes soon.

Jonathan

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2011/rpt/2011-R-0015.htm .. talks about the goldberg case as it was a few years ago ... any link to new opinion or information?

But the law has changed, court opinions are new ... the ILR report talks about insuring that only fit people get guns so a lengthy delay is OK...its BS of course....18 months??? even in this context. Maybe not posted yet?

But new case law shows that the right to practice is part of the gun and you can own a gun in CT prior to getting/asking for a permit ... so now, a case where someone already owns a gun and a greater than 3-6 month delay is excessive.

A delay of 18 mos is OK? Commies....