• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Signage question

Hareuhal

I spent some time working on a 'church in a day' project in Hamilton, Ohio. I saw this sign and am wondering what the legal significance is.

Looks like it's a school zone, if the sign is to be believed. This would technically mean that it is a "weapon free" zone, unless of course you're picking up / dropping off a child...but who knows. Hamilton has another sign in a park that prohibits firearms that is being worked on as well.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
To figure out if this sign has any force of law we need to know where it is posted.

The term "school zone" is only defined in Ohio law under ORC 4511.21. And the definition only applies to that particular section.

"School Zone" is defined in federal law.

18 USC 921 defines

(25) The term “school zone” means—
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

JediSkipdogg

The sign is at the entrance to the property of the new church. The property was previously used for a school.

Sounds to me like someone needs to write Hamilton and have the outdated sign taken down. I once saw a Dead End sign on a road that has been "open" for at least 5 years. So doesn't surprise me it's still there if it was once a school.