• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jeld-Wen Field

Cremator75

I'm going to Jeld-Wen Field for a Timbers game, but on their web site it says "No conceald weapons even with a license." The best I can tell is the stadium is owned by the city of Portland. Can the group leasing the stadium prohibit carry even with a license? I don't want to ride the max down there to be turned away during a random search they do.

Last edited:

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Good question. The statute that prevents cities from messing with CHL holders is 166.173, which reads in part:

Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.

161.015 reads in part:

(10) “Public place” means a place to which the general public has access and includes, but is not limited to, hallways, lobbies and other parts of apartment houses and hotels not constituting rooms or apartments designed for actual residence, and highways, streets, schools, places of amusement, parks, playgrounds and premises used in connection with public passenger transportation.

So is the stadium a public place? Is it a place of amusement? Is it a park? If we assume for a second that it isn't a public place, then Portland's ban on loaded carry without a CHL wouldn't apply at the stadium since it reads

It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm

I guess even with all this information I'm still not sure if the stadium would be a public place. My guess is that it is not since admission is required, but I'm not too sure.

We-the-People

The stadium is a "public place" regardless of ownership. However, if the city owns it and has leased it to the operator, then the operator is allowed to prohibit firearms. The city can not force them (in the lease agreement) to do so, but if the leasee choses to do so, it is within its rights as far as I understand the situation with the law.

IANAL....YMMV

Cremator75

I CC'd at the park. Searches were of bags only, so it was a non issue. I knew I could put it in the car if they did find it and I could only be trespassed if I did not comply with any requests, which did not happen.