• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Madison PD detains and cites OCers tonight.

paul@paul-fisher.com

http://www.aclu-wi.org/News/Releases/2010_Madison_bust_card.pdf

From the ACLU website 'STOPPED ON THE STREET
· You do not have to answer questions.
· Say “I do not want to talk to you” and ask if you are free to go. If the answer is yes, walk away calmly.
· If the answer is no, ask why you are being detained. Police must have reasonable suspicion to detain you.
· You may be subject to a pat down search. Don't physically resist, but let them know that you don't consent to further search.
· It is not a crime in Wisconsin to refuse to identify yourself to a police officer, unless you are being detained or arrested, but refusing might make the police suspicious about you.'

rotty

Hahah! I can see the memo being written:

Dear Alderwoman Leftist

Please refrain from any more contact the the crazies. We have people in place to completely execute their rights. Also remember that guns are scary and that Madison has enough idealist elite to protect you from criminals!

Sincerely

Captain Constitution Shredder

Well .. after cleaning the coffee off the keyboard I decided I had to respond to this with a healthy and hearty ROFLMAO :lol:

mearlus

Wow so after looking things up I find that this is the Alder for my district :(

From what we can tell her term is through 2011.

This is very depressing.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Sent my letter to Alder Jed Sanborn, dsitrict 1. My impression of him in the past was that he was not as "progressive" as the majority of the council.

"Alder Sanborn,

I would like to bring to your attention the recent Madison Police news release. http://www.cityofmadison.com/news/view.cfm?news_id=2231##

This policy opens the door for the police to illegally bypass the US constiution regarding 1st, 4th, 5th, and obviously the 2nd amnedments on LEGAL activity they decide they don't agree with. The state constitution also has similar protections. It may be "open Carry" they target today, but what next?

There are a lot of things that make all different kinds of people uncomfortable, but as long as no law is actually being broken, the police should leave it be.

I thought Madison was a city based on freedom - freedom of thought, freedom of expression. Well, the police can't pick and choose which freedoms law abiding citizens choose to excercise.

As my elected alder, please do not let my beloved Madison become a police state. You have sworn to uphold the constitution, as has Chief Wray and his officers. If you love freedom, you should embrace ALL freedoms, or none of them mean anything.

Thanks for your time,"

mearlus

Write her, let her know you are her constituent, that you support OC and you are not happy with her dismissive tone.

Working on it. Unfortunately the tone from her feels like the tone I hear from a lot of 'typical' Madisonians and makes me feel like writing is pointless. It probably is but at least I will have 'done something' other than fume.

TyGuy

It's great when attorneys from other states recognize how ridiculous the charges are.

I also just listened to the audio again. The police at the incident were very willing to let those that showed ID to go about their business. Then four days later they decide that it's disorderly conduct? What crap.

Tomas

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
Has WCI given any thought to window clings (if that's what they're called) in addition to bumper stickers for cars? I have a deep seated aversion to messing up my car with bumper stickers, but a window cling (similar to what universities and colleges do) would be pretty sweet.

YES, we have a 40" decal goes across the entire back window. Available on the merchandise page found here: http://www.wisconsincarry.org/secure/php/Merchandise.php

We are also working on a smaller version