• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

opening weekend

oak1971

Yeah, I don't know how much longer I will be hunting. Been losing my zeal for it for a while now. 30 years of it is getting to be enough.

BROKENSPROKET

Expect some big ones....I heard from another varminter I met at the range one day
there has been some inner breeding from the wolves. From the way I understand it,only the Alpha couple breads in pack hierarchy.The subordinate wolf kills the Alpha male yote to be able to breed the female yote. Biologist have done some testing and the offspring produced hold up to 80% wolf DNA and have gone as big as 60 lbs.

I looked that up and found that the Red Wolf, which is unprotected, is actually a coy-wolf. Good to know and sounds like fun.

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

I looked that up and found that the Red Wolf, which is unprotected, is actually a coy-wolf. Good to know and sounds like fun. Coy-dogs are legal to hunt as well.

Coyote huntin is alot of fun. A fair amount of work too.
Go easy on calling....start low volume and work up. They get call shy quick....and gunshy quicker,so make your shots count.Put alot of thought into your shooting style and choose your scope carefully.High powered thin reticles are great in daytime...suck in low light...and vice versa.Illuminated reticles are nice (and pricey,too) but batts go dead and are finicky getting a setting that works well.

Remember they like to work the wind,and will circle around. I dont use any cover scent and just wash my huntin clothes in baking soda.
But they are sorta used to havin some contact with living around humans.
Use a red or amber filter on big spot lights if your night shooting.Head shots are abit tougher to get at night as they dont like to look into the light. I use amber mainly for night shoots.

Chose your calling system carefully too...I have a Johnny Stewart rig but in all honesty havent had alot of luck calling them in with it.
I hear the Foxpro rigs are nice...but kinda expensive.

If your not worried about prime fur a good time to hit them is during hay cutting.
The hay chopper doesnt just chop hay...it cuts everything..mice,moles,snakes and bunnys...its a huge dinner bell.

Once ya get into it... it makes deer huntin boring.

Good Luck,give a shout if ya have any questions.

Comin home from Sis's after Thanksgiving Sis's b/friend smacked a doe.He left a couple minutes ahead of me.
Had to call the Sheriff and wait to get a tag.Sis claimed the animal.
Turned around went back and helped her gut and hang it.

LR Yote

BROKENSPROKET

Coyote huntin is alot of fun. A fair amount of work too.
Go easy on calling....start low volume and work up. They get call shy quick....and gunshy quicker,so make your shots count.Put alot of thought into your shooting style and choose your scope carefully.High powered thin reticles are great in daytime...suck in low light...and vice versa.Illuminated reticles are nice (and pricey,too) but batts go dead and are finicky getting a setting that works well.

Remember they like to work the wind,and will circle around. I dont use any cover scent and just wash my huntin clothes in baking soda.
But they are sorta used to havin some contact with living around humans.
Use a red or amber filter on big spot lights if your night shooting.Head shots are abit tougher to get at night as they dont like to look into the light. I use amber mainly for night shoots.

Chose your calling system carefully too...I have a Johnny Stewart rig but in all honesty havent had alot of luck calling them in with it.
I hear the Foxpro rigs are nice...but kinda expensive.

If your not worried about prime fur a good time to hit them is during hay cutting.
The hay chopper doesnt just chop hay...it cuts everything..mice,moles,snakes and bunnys...its a huge dinner bell.

Once ya get into it... it makes deer huntin boring.

Good Luck,give a shout if ya have any questions.

Comin home from Sis's after Thanksgiving Sis's b/friend smacked a doe.He left a couple minutes ahead of me.
Had to call the Sheriff and wait to get a tag.Sis claimed the animal.
Turned around went back and helped her gut and hang it.

LR Yote

HaHaHa... Deer hunting is already boring. I hunt to put meat in the freezer.

WE got a FoxPro FX3. Been looking into downloading more calls. We drove around one night and located the general area of 2 packs. Now we are just waiting for snow and deer season to be over.

I like the idea of hunting over a freshly cut hay field. I only want a few nice prime pelts to hang around the house, the rest would just be to increase fawn survival and spending time with my son, aside from it being alot of fun.

I will probalbly take you up on that offer. My email is in my signature.

J.Gleason

Banned
Brokensprocket--Gun season is 9 days long. I shot a 9-pointer right at 6:40 on opening morning. After that I hunted every day and have only saw 3 deer. The population has been so devasted by the unlimited number of tags that can be purchased in certain zones. We have farmed for our land for 30ish years and the crop damage this year was as minimal as it has ever been. The trail cameras tell the same story that there aren't nearly as many deer in the woods. I know plenty of hunters who shoot 15+ deer every year, which is ridiculous. The DNR needs to get a grip before the whitetail herd is too thin and everyone stops hunting. Watch that $1.2 Billion in revenue from hunting fall to nothing. I am upset that I'm not seeing deer, but it won't keep me out of the woods.

I totally agree, I know people who buy 10 to 12 extra tags a year and try to fill every tag. It is absolutely ridiculous and I will no longer hunt with such people. I do not see the need for anyone to take more than one or two. I refuse to hunt to extinction and that is what the Department of Neverending Regulations is promoting by selling an individual so many tags. The DNR is lying on the number of deer in the state to begin with and they also lie about the number harvested simply to draw in out of state money. The best thing that could happen is that Walker abolishes the DNR.
I believe that all poachers should pay the price and that violators should be dealt with. The problem is DNR lost sight of its purpose many years ago. I would love to see a Deer Hunter Boycott next year. No one hunts period. Teach DNR who the real boss really is.

J.Gleason

Banned
people need to go find there hunting morals again and take only adult deer i have blown my tag for many years because i will not shoot a deer that is any younger than 2-3 years old
the cwd is not as bad as the dept of never ending regulation states it is (my opinion) and those many years of endless tags have desensitized the hunting morals of society which they use the younger deer taste better excuse or i dont see big deer well if people would shoot more adult deer and stop shooting younger deer there would be more bigger deer to shoot wether your a meat hunter or a trophy hunter if you shot a bigger deer you would not need to shoot as many younger deer and if you want to make it taste better might i recomend salt and pepper

sorry i had to vent this was not intended as an attack just venting my opinions

+1000

LR Yote 312

I totally agree, I know people who buy 10 to 12 extra tags a year and try to fill every tag. It is absolutely ridiculous and I will no longer hunt with such people. I do not see the need for anyone to take more than one or two.

The number of deer donated to the food pantry from bonus tag kills would really surprise you. Last year the bodies were stacked up like cord wood. There were an
easy 50-60 deer stacked up.

This year he had quite a few too,but I didnt have a chance to talk much with him.
He had some place else to be,as did I.

I would love to see a Deer Hunter Boycott next year. No one hunts period. Teach DNR who the real boss really is.

Yeah..and then your gonna see the State raise other fees, and costs in the form of taxes to make up the difference.
Are you familiar with the term BOHICA ??? Bend Over Here It Comes Again. 'Cause thats exactly what will happen.

None of my business but have you been making vodka/gin from brake fluid or something like that??

LR Yote

BROKENSPROKET

The number of deer donated to the food pantry from bonus tag kills would really surprise you. Last year the bodies were stacked up like cord wood. There were an
easy 50-60 deer stacked up.

I knew that it was going on, but I never really contemplated how big the impact may be. Who can complain now, 'Bonus Tags filled to Feed the Hungry'.

None of my business but have you been making vodka/gin from brake fluid or something like that??

J. can be a little radical, but I like him for the most part. He challenges the way I may look at things, which is good.

A boycott will never happen as there is no solidarity. There would be too many that could not pass on the opportunity to have the woods to themselves.

LR Yote 312

I knew that it was going on, but I never really contemplated how big the impact may be. Who can complain now, 'Bonus Tags filled to Feed the Hungry'.

Yeah, that was the second question the Registrater asked me..."Are you donating it? No ?? Good...Less work for me." The first question was " What DMU ??"
I hunt 77 B. They also dont charge ya for bonus tags down here. They give them to you. Free. When I buy my license I purchase the Patrons License, and am given 2 bonus tags with the license. For what they charge for it,they should give ya some thing free. Every deer I register from 77 B he offers me 3 more bonus tags.

I take them for a couple of reasons. Yeah, its nice to have another chance to go out and drop another....But that doesnt mean I will get a chance too...once the deer drops the work starts.

The biggest reason I take them is: Because if the word gets back to the State nobody is taking them,after a period of time of nobody taking them... the State just simply wont offer them anymore.

The Registration Officer showed me the stack of bonus tags the State gave him....it was over 14 inches tall...I couldnt begin to guess how many deer that translates too. I think its better if I take the tags offered than if he turns them back in.

I do all my own butchering so many times even tho I have the extra tags I am to dead beat exhausted to get back out.

J. can be a little radical, but I like him for the most part. He challenges the way I may look at things, which is good.

A boycott will never happen as there is no solidarity. There would be too many that could not pass on the opportunity to have the woods to themselves.

Yeah, I know he does sound a bit radical sometimes...Just thought it a bit of a stretch,even for him. It was just my way of askin if everythings ok with a bit of humor. Nothing personal meant.

Very true...I would be one of those.

LR Yote

Hunting Mama

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
You guys hit the nail on the head with the DNR not knowing their population numbers. With all of the bonus tags that are given out or purchased they have been decimating the population for years. With that said, we take a few deer each year for the freezer. My husband is mainly a trophy hunter, but our family survives on the the venison for almost all year. If we are lucky we draw a bear tag also and have that for the freezer. We don't buy meat from the store unless we are out of venison. First - we butcher our own, so it is more economically feasible for us to feed our family throughout the year. Second - I would much rather eat wild game than the hormone injected, processed meat you get from the store.

Yote - my hubby used to be a big yote hunter. He would just use mouth calls when out and harvested 2 black yotes within a week of each other. Unfortunately, the darn taxidermist messed up the tip of the tail and the feet on the one we had mounted. It used to have a nice white tip on the tail, but no more.

I am hoping he starts up again so he will take our daughter out now that she can legally hunt. She has gone out with the dog hunters a few times and really enjoyed it, but now that she has some sitting still time in from deer hunting she may be ready to go yote hunting with her Papa.

Attachments

• 100_8947.jpg
    100_8947.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 97

LR Yote 312

Huntin Mama,

Thats still a pretty mount and puts mine to shame.
Awhile back I dropped a reddish blonde one,and in the tanning it lost a lot of the red and more of the black came out.

CoyoteLeft.jpg

LR Yote

LR Yote 312

Maybe, but then again "aging" makes meat tender too. Therefore the longest dead might be the most tender. Anybody for gruesome gruel (i.e. monster mash)

Pass...
I wasnt the typical bachelor. I actually used the fridge to store more than pizza and beer. There were experiences that proved to me that when dead things walked...again...it wasnt safe to eat them.

LR Yote

LR Yote 312

I got a doe this weekend.

Congrats !!! At least some one is doin the backstrap boogie !!!!:banana:

I chose not to go out after Thanksgiving morning....
I passed on 6 deer ...7 if I count the 750 yrd Buck and I passed on one Yote.

I did drop a doe over the Oct antlerless hunt...nice 150 lb'er.

Ever since I dropped my buddy Limpy the Coyote..I been lackin in inspiration.
I had been after that yote for a few years....I will say this he was a challenge.
Gun shy as they get.....and just as call shy too.
He kept me on my toes to say the least.... I even caught him stalkin my goose dekes one mornin this past fall.

Like Broken Sprocket I am lookin forward to some snow....maybe a nights yote huntin on snow will break my ho-hum mindset.

LR Yote

BROKENSPROKET

You guys hit the nail on the head with the DNR not knowing their population numbers. With all of the bonus tags that are given out or purchased they have been decimating the population for years.

I might be a bit ignorant about WI deer populations and DNR strategies, J. Gleason and CUOfficer, you hyave an apology from me if ya'll take it. But if we 'decimate' the CWD areas, before it spreads across the entire state, the deer population will always rebound. Take me to school if I need it. I am ready to learn.