• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

** Legal Defense fund for Skidmark **

Curmudgeon

The OP was recently posted on PAFOA by another user there. I added a post with links to "grapeshot's" and "user's" threads so folks there could stay updated.

I have also contributed through PayPal. Anything accomplished through the exertions of Skidmark and User will benefit everyone. Helping out with moral support and donations is the least we can do, and is certainly money well invested.

Prayers, good thoughts, positive vibes, and well-wishes all sent out to Paul and his family. God-speed, man.

paramedic70002

My experiences with the Surry County Sheriff's Dept. haven't left me with much confidence in their standards of performance. As for the CA, he looked like a buffoon during the Micheal Vick fiasco.

Good luck!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Great initial response - keep 'em coming!

User, there have been a few good suggestions already in the thread. Can you comment on whether the WA state letter can be updated for VA and if you would want us to send one from each of us? Also the NRA, and other suggestions sound good to me, is that something you will pursue? Can we setup a demonstration at the Ferry? (making sure it is purely legal?)

Hopefully the criminal part of this can end January 4th and you can start the civil process of suing their arse's!
Definitely NOT speaking for User - my understanding is that the attorney cannot or should not engage in a campaign of public relations on such matters. IMNAL so obviously do not know the legal or ethical reasons for this in Va.

Unfortunately, I've had quite a few unexpected expenses but I have placed some items for sale on VAGT to help support the defense fund.
That my brother is indeed above and beyond what anyone would have asked - I am at a loss for words, I am humbled.

It may be more of a theatrical invention than actual history, however I cannot help but be reminded of this famous quote at the end of the movie Tora! Tora! Tora! by Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto:

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

TFred
Behind every blade of grass - INDEED! Maybe behind every grain of sand.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
More responses

Hey Folks.....
Just visiting from the Colorado forum. Can someone please PM me either Skid's personal PayPal account or the one that's being setup for the legal defense fund? I'll chip in a little something.
Thanks,
Geoff
Just a reminder - check the bottom of the edited OP for PayPal or Mailing instructions.

Yep that's me - it's Nebraska spelled backwards - suits me don't you think?
icon6.png

Both the PayPal and the dedicated bank account have been constructed to allow total transparency for Skidmark's lawyer + each and every PayPal donor will receive a copy of the "funds received" notification as their confirmation.

I am not involved in handling the checks mailed direct to Dan Hawes from donors - he requested that I set up the PayPal option.

It is amazing and gratifying that this has spread so far, so fast. We are hearing from not just the choir, the faithful here in the Old Dominion, but from the far reaches of other states - I've seen and heard that the story is being passed about in Europe, Africa and the Middle East already.

You all make me PROUD to be a small part of this!
>I know that Skidmark would prefer a smaller role < :(

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
User, there have been a few good suggestions already in the thread. Can you comment on whether the WA state letter can be updated for VA and if you would want us to send one from each of us? Also the NRA, and other suggestions sound good to me, is that something you will pursue? Can we setup a demonstration at the Ferry? (making sure it is purely legal?)

Hopefully the criminal part of this can end January 4th and you can start the civil process of suing their arse's!

You make a good point that I want to emphasize: we have to get past the criminal charges before we can even think about civil claims. The civil actions called "malicious prosecution" and "abuse of process" require proof that the underlying criminal charges were resolved in a manner "not adverse" to the plaintiff (former criminal defendant). Until we get the criminal charges out of the way, there's no point in thinking about civil claims. Unfortunately, this gives incentives for the opposition to dig in their heels and do whatever they think is necessary to ensure a conviction.

Besides, I really can't deal with distractions right now, and that's all thinking about future civil claims will be for me.

I did read the letter based on Washington law, but I don't think it's appropriate in this case. And I really don't want to try to harass the Surry County legal system into doing what we want them to do; that could be seriously adverse to our interests. Wait until the case is over, then tell them what you think. We all want to do something, but what we do has to be effective.

I am going to think about the demonstration idea, but one thing to keep in mind is that this all started with VDOT's contractors. VDOT is responsible for managing that ferry, and the sheriff's office only showed up because VDOT's contractor called them. One deputy decided to help the contractor retaliate against Skidmark for "gettin' uppity", and that was unprofessional conduct. But VDOT is really in charge of that operation.

Oh, and speaking of deputies. One post mentioned the folks in Chesterfield County. There has never been any suggestion that the Sheriff's office in Chesterfield County has been unprofessional in any way. They treated Skidmark with all the respect they could, given that they had a couple of warrants that they were legally obligated to execute.

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
Donation sent via paypal, hope that it helps out in the fight against this travesty. This reinforces the need to carry a digital recorder at all times.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If I may without treading on any toes or hurting any one's feelings.....

IMHO - we will benefit neither Skidmark nor User by attempting to try this matter - chopping, dicing n' slicing it will only leave them to pick up the pieces parts. We need to stay objective and focused - how can we follow thru in the most effective manner? By writing that check and giving a double shot of moral support everyday.

Good news is that donations are coming in - but not fully up to speed yet. People from everywhere are in touch about this. The out pouring is fantastic.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If I may without treading on any toes or hurting any one's feelings.....

IMHO - we will benefit neither Skidmark nor User by attempting to try this matter - chopping, dicing n' slicing it will only leave them to pick up the pieces parts. We need to stay objective and focused - how can we follow thru in the most effective manner? By writing that check and giving a double shot of moral support everyday.

Good news is that donations are coming in - but not fully up to speed yet. People from everywhere are in touch about this. The out pouring is fantastic.

I agree 100% with Grapeshot about this. There will be plenty of time for protests when this is over.
I have deliberately not published anything because User hasn't released anything yet. Just getting what I have out, would serve no purpose other than complicate the Skids defense.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I agree 100% with Grapeshot about this. There will be plenty of time for protests when this is over.
I have deliberately not published anything because User hasn't released anything yet. Just getting what I have out, would serve no purpose other than complicate the Skids defense.

+100%

Last edited: