• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When and where will you OC if SB 234 becomes law?

Alude904

That's how unlicensed open carry got banned in 1987. People testing out the new law by OCing in places where they knew it would get a negative response.

Ease in to it. You can't normalize OC for the public by being "in your face" about it on day one.

I strongly agree with you. As much a i want to start oc, you cant just flash it around full fledged. Youre garaunteed to be falsely arrested because even though leos are supposed to be educated, there will def be a few that missed the memo.

hammer6

Whenever I go out of state where OC is legal, that's what I usually do. Now that I will be able to do it on a regular basis, I can't say that I will do it ALL the time, but I certainly won't stick to my jeans with the deep pockets anymore...now I'll be able to wear whatever I want!

j4l

Like I said before- Just wear the damned thing and go on you're merry way like normal.
I really really think most folks are jumping the gun in assuming we're going to get pounced upon by all the cops the moment we step out onto the street.

Conduct ourselves in a reasonable, manner, and present ourselves like a respectable Joe Citizen, and I dont think most folks will give a rat's backside if we're carrying or not.
Go stomping around the street all but declaring "HEY LOOK @ ME, IM A GUNSLINGER,NOW!!!" and daring everyone to challenge you and your rights, though, and yes, some unpleasant attention should be fully expected to come your way.

77zach

Also, you could probably get away with OCing anywhere except a "prohibited place" if you were in a dress shirt and khakis. People would think you are a detective or something. And even if they knew you were not a cop, there would be no stress. If you have a wife beater and board shorts on and smell like cigarettes, anyone ignorant of the law will be alarmed.

Kingfish

If you have a wife beater and board shorts on and smell like cigarettes, anyone ignorant of the law will be alarmed.
That is a pretty bold statement.

I have personally interacted with someone ignorant of the law while OCing, wearing a wife beater and shorts (black cargo) with no "alarm". It was my neighbor but your statement says "anyone".

I normally wear t-shirts, shorts and hiking boots or sandals and I do smoke. I also have long hair and a scruffy beard. I have never noticed anyone ever be "alarmed".

Phssthpok

When and where will you OC if SB 234 becomes law?

Yes.

I came here from WA by way of MT. I've OC'd every time I go anywhere ever since I found out it was legal.. This is me chomping at the bit to exercise my inherent human rights again without fear of coercive force being unlawfully applied against me.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
This is exactly what we have been doing with our open carry fishing events. We coordinate with the local city or county attorney's office to make sure that the PD/Sheriff is properly informed on the law and that the patrol officers and 911 dispatchers are properly trained.

Fantastic news! Didn't mean to presume it wasn't already in the works. Glad to hear you've tackled Fort Myers, that's my destination. You have a very well organized campaign going, I'm looking forward to reaping the rewards of your hard work :)

I think the point I was trying to make, but didn't do when I posted my earlier message half-asleep was that there are enough challenges going places where you have every right to be that choosing places that are already known anti-gun establishments is just a waste of effort. I see the OP has since stated his original post was a joke.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'm not sure there is a way to "ease into it" in Leftist Alachua County. It's gonna be a shitstorm the second I walk out the door no matter what I do.

I tried contacting the GPD and Alachua county sheriff about an OC Fishing event, against my better judgement. I got no response. I tried calling on the phone, and after being passed around and put on hold, I was disconnected. Tried several times, same result.

Since they've made their position pretty clear, I'm going to be attacked regardless; I may as well carry my baby. Building a proper retention holster for when some retard Cop tries to grab her....

I don't plan to go into any particular business. I don't shop much. Not planning any big to-do. But the Cops are sure to make one of it no matter what I'm carrying. May as well get it over with.

It probably won't be day one.

Last edited:

77zach

That is a pretty bold statement.

I have personally interacted with someone ignorant of the law while OCing, wearing a wife beater and shorts (black cargo) with no "alarm". It was my neighbor but your statement says "anyone".

I normally wear t-shirts, shorts and hiking boots or sandals and I do smoke. I also have long hair and a scruffy beard. I have never noticed anyone ever be "alarmed".

Yes, anyone was a poor choice of words. Rather, people ignorant of the will be more easily alarmed if you are slovenly dressed.

Last edited:

Kingfish

Yes, anyone was a poor choice of words. Rather, people ignorant of the will be more easily alarmed if you are slovenly dressed.
I would agree with this but I also don't believe people need to "dress up" just to OC. Wear what you normally do and OC a handgun in a proper holster with a good belt and go at it. I personally prefer OWB holsters to avoid looking like the gun is just stuck in the waistband.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
I tried contacting the GPD and Alachua county sheriff about an OC Fishing event, against my better judgement. I got no response. I tried calling on the phone, and after being passed around and put on hold, I was disconnected. Tried several times, same result.

Don't call the PD/Sheriff. Call the County or City Attorney's office.
They will inform the chief/sheriff and make sure the patrol officers and dispatchers have proper training so as not to expose the city/county to liability when/if a LEO comes in contact with someone lawfully carrying.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
I would agree with this but I also don't believe people need to "dress up" just to OC. Wear what you normally do and OC a handgun in a proper holster with a good belt and go at it. I personally prefer OWB holsters to avoid looking like the gun is just stuck in the waistband.

The sidearm has little to do with it. Someone who presents a tidy appearance is usually treated with more respect than someone who is not well dressed.

See what level of service you get at a department store if you go in dressed in a nice suit. Go back to the same store at the same time during the same day the next week but this time dressed like you just rolled out from under a truck.

Perception is reality.

77zach

The Villages

I'm very near to The Villages. AKA, New Jersey South. It's a retirement protectorate full of old people from New Jersey and New York. OC may be more problematic there than anywhere else in the state.

Kingfish

The sidearm has little to do with it. Someone who presents a tidy appearance is usually treated with more respect than someone who is not well dressed.

See what level of service you get at a department store if you go in dressed in a nice suit. Go back to the same store at the same time during the same day the next week but this time dressed like you just rolled out from under a truck.

Perception is reality.
That's the thing. I want the same reactions if I am armed or unarmed, so I will wear what I always wear, armed or unarmed. Just a regular guy who happens to be carrying a gun. If we only wear dress clothes while we OC, others will never get the idea that it is OK for "regular" guys to OC.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
The Villages is usually reliably republican. Rep. O'Toole from The Villages is rock solid on gun rights and a strong proponent of open carry.

bushwacker

im not getting some of these answers to the questions but I will oc every place that i am allowed. the more people that see it the better and the more to ask ...even better ..gives chance to spread the word and lets others that wanted to discuss it (but were timmed to ask) the oppertunity to open up, from my experences around the states, the open carrier is often surrounded by curious people that want to carry themselves but don't because they don't know whats allowed and not see anyone breaking the mold that they want to break also ,they don't oc cause nobody around them is ocing ,,,,I call it the sheeple effect. it is also a chance to get them educated by directing them to sites like this. when I am asked why I oc my standard answer is because we have a right to and that right needs to be exercised and It"s my way of showing our veterens that I appreciate their time and sacrifice for our rights by exercising them

Last edited:

77zach

im not getting some of these answers to the questions but I will oc every place that i am allowed. the more people that see it the better and the more to ask ...even better ..gives chance to spread the word and lets others that wanted to discuss it (but were timmed to ask) the oppertunity to open up, from my experences around the states, the open carrier is often surrounded by curious people that want to carry themselves but don't because they don't know whats allowed and not see anyone breaking the mold that they want to break also ,they don't oc cause nobody around them is ocing ,,,,I call it the sheeple effect. it is also a chance to get them educated by directing them to sites like this. when I am asked why I oc my standard answer is because we have a rite to and that rite needs to be exercised and It"s my way of showing our veterens that I appreciate their time and sacrifice for our rights by exercising them

Good deal. You mean "right" not "rite", right?

Kingfish

im not getting some of these answers to the questions but I will oc every place that i am allowed. the more people that see it the better and the more to ask ...even better ..gives chance to spread the word and lets others that wanted to discuss it (but were timmed to ask) the oppertunity to open up, from my experences around the states, the open carrier is often surrounded by curious people that want to carry themselves but don't because they don't know whats allowed and not see anyone breaking the mold that they want to break also ,they don't oc cause nobody around them is ocing ,,,,I call it the sheeple effect. it is also a chance to get them educated by directing them to sites like this. when I am asked why I oc my standard answer is because we have a rite to and that rite needs to be exercised and It"s my way of showing our veterens that I appreciate their time and sacrifice for our rights by exercising them

Good deal. You mean "right" not "rite", right?
Right on Bushwacker. I do hope you guys can right some wrongs in your state and get it back on the right track. It would be good to write the newspapers and write something about OC in your other forum sig lines when you write on other boards.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Don't call the PD/Sheriff. Call the County or City Attorney's office.
They will inform the chief/sheriff and make sure the patrol officers and dispatchers have proper training so as not to expose the city/county to liability when/if a LEO comes in contact with someone lawfully carrying.

Excellent point sir.