• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield Man arrested for open carrying NEAR a school

TFred

And, back to the matter at hand, I've had a bit of email with Mr. Alkabily's attorney, Peter Baruch. He doesn't want to talk about it, even with another attorney. I told him there are people who might be willing and able to help him with the case, and that there's a group of dedicated and interested people watching the case carefully. He's not interested. One thing we agreed on is that neither of us knows the other. So I'll be as interested as everyone else to watch that case carefully. I pointed out to him why I think that statute is unconstitutionally vague, but no response - I wonder whether, as a former prosecutor, he regards such arguments as "technicalities".

The next hearing date is July 13 at 1:00 p.m., which looks like the preliminary hearing to me, in the Chesterfield Co. General District Court. I'm hoping that some folks will be able to go there, listen to the statements of witnesses in support of the probable cause basis, and tell us what they said.
I think I'd have to think long and hard about hiring a former prosecutor as my defense attorney! They'd have to do some major convincing that they were working in my best interests!

TFred

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I think I'd have to think long and hard about hiring a former prosecutor as my defense attorney! They'd have to do some major convincing that they were working in my best interests!

TFred

Yes, no and might be, TFred

Lawyers become CA's and Assistant CA's for a variety o reasons but by far, it's because they can make more money doing that than in private practice.

That could be and often is, because they're rotten attorneys.
For the younger lawyers, it's because there is a tremendous amount of competition for clients, especially...PAYING CLIENTS,
This is a big issue in criminal work and in some places lawyers are hanging out in the court appointed lines just to eat.

Criminal defense is a very specialized area of law and few lawyers are as good at as User. I talked about the lawyers that charge a grand and meet the client for the first time fifteen minutes before court.

For the few that want to specialize in the field, what better way to get first hand experience while paying the bills, than working as a prosecutor.

wrightme

TFred

"To catch a thief." Look at it this way. Who better to go head-to-head with a prosecuting attorney than a former prosecuting attorney. They know the "lay of the land."

All American Nightmare

A hunting we will go, a hunting we will go, hi ho the derio, a hunting we will go! The after effects of anesthesia be damned. Did you also drive in this condition? At least Rooster Cogburn let his horse do the navigating.

You must be a dog hunter. They're the only ones that drive.
Don't get him started on ( Damm Dog Hunters) Please

riverrat10k

This is scheduled for 1pm 7-13. My office is very close to the CC Courthouse....

If schedule permits I may take my lunch hour there. Wonder if I can wear shorts, though? Supposed to be 100 today, hot again tomorrow.

Marco

MilProGuy: If he's smart, next time he'll conceal carry near the school. :(

If he's smart, next time he'll conceal carry near the school. (No harm, no foul, no hassle.)

How about we except LE to obey the law and not arrest folks for what may turn out to be a non crime, if he was not on school property no harm, no foul and no crime.

riverrat10k

Hmmm, very interesting.

Wonder if his attorney will discuss this case now? Guess I will fire him an e-mail.

LOL at TFred. Yeah, makes you wonder. Very interesting indeed.

If I recall, the prosecution can still bring charges for up to one year from the supposed offense. The defendant may also have some conditions placed on him, correct?