• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying while an Election Officer?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
This isn't virgin territory SD, but I have to give you a big hand.
Proshooter gave his input to the election board and they just pretended not to hear.
You're walking the walk and no matter how it turns out, you gave it your best.

Good luck with this! :cool:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
This is not the whole story, the only acceptable picks are D and R, other parties need not apply. Also, I think this is Commonwealth-wide.

And good luck to sd.

You are correct. I did clarify myself in post #19. Thanks for the good luck.

Peter, thanks for your kind words. I greatly appreciate them.

Now for the update. On Saturday Nov. 5th I met the chief election officer at the polling place. I was carrying a full-size Springfield XD-45 in a Serpa holster. I am pleased to report that the topic of my gun was never brought up and the individual seemed completely unphased by it. I am now 100% for sure going to carry on Election Day. Thanks everybody for all of the advice!

Baked on Grease

You are correct. I did clarify myself in post #19. Thanks for the good luck.

Peter, thanks for your kind words. I greatly appreciate them.

Now for the update. On Saturday Nov. 5th I met the chief election officer at the polling place. I was carrying a full-size Springfield XD-45 in a Serpa holster. I am pleased to report that the topic of my gun was never brought up and the individual seemed completely unphased by it. I am now 100% for sure going to carry on Election Day. Thanks everybody for all of the advice!

Good luck to you. Extra credit question: if you are forced to choose a side, are they forcing you represent also? As in, wear a pin/sticker or some such to party affiliation?

On a different note, I imagine you'll be sitting down for most of your duties so most people will never even have the opportunity to see your "little" friend. I've been thinking of upgrading my XDm 9 to a 45 for carry. Gun show soon... Maybe I will.

Sent using tapatalk

scouser

Baked on Grease said:
.... I've been thinking of upgrading my XDm 9 to a 45 for carry. Gun show soon... Maybe I will.

If you're going to do that I suggest doing so before the end of this month so you can get the 3 extra mags and an extra magazine holster. I'd also suggest checking with Gary's Guns & Transfers as he quoted me the lowest price I've seen for an XDM.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Good luck to you. Extra credit question: if you are forced to choose a side, are they forcing you represent also? As in, wear a pin/sticker or some such to party affiliation?

On a different note, I imagine you'll be sitting down for most of your duties so most people will never even have the opportunity to see your "little" friend. I've been thinking of upgrading my XDm 9 to a 45 for carry. Gun show soon... Maybe I will.

Sent using tapatalk

No, you don't wear any kind of pin and you are in fact prohibited from doing so. You simply agree to impartially represent that parties interests.

You do walk around a bit to activate machines and folks do notice.

Everything is going well at my precinct. I will give some updates throughout the day and a full report tonight.

MSC 45ACP

I wasn't able to carry at my polling place (school), but the ballot was interesting... It was completely (R) with no challengers. It was weird. There were blanks for "fill-in" candidates, but I can't imagine anyone running against the incumbents.

Sheriff Diggs was running unopposed. I can't see anyone running against him having much of a chance.

USNA69

This isn't virgin territory SD, but I have to give you a big hand.
Proshooter gave his input to the election board and they just pretended not to hear.
You're walking the walk and no matter how it turns out, you gave it your best.

Good luck with this! :cool:

Some may recall that I started this "dust-up" about a year ago, after relating my conversation with my Norfolk precinct Election Officer.

So, back to the polls today, knowing that he will again be the Election Officer. I could have carried and stood my legal ground, but I did not want to put him on the spot, as he is a long-time friend. But, I was prepared to be asked the question, and I had resolved not to reply. I was prepared to tell him that, if he suspected that I was carrying, he should abide by his regulations and call a LEO. I was prepared to demand to know the RAS or PC for any search, for which I would not have granted permission. Of course, they would have found nothing, and I would have it all recorded on the DVR. My next call would have been to USER.

Well, it did not unfold quite that way. He asked nothing, as I showed my picture ID and voted. We chatted afterward, and he wondered if I was going to ask the "Big Question". I said that I had planned to ask nothing, but was prepared for his "Big Question". As we reviewed the events of the previous year and that the SBE had not revised their policy ... he told me that he was CC. He added that he had cleared it with the election board and had written permission in his pocket.

What does all this mean? It means that there is "something rotten in Gloucester County".

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Well, I am still here. Still no issues. Congressman Gerry Connolly stopped by and I think I gave him "bug eyes."

Last edited:

Glockster

Well, I am still here. Still no issues. Congressman Gerry Connolly stopped by and I think I gave him "bug eyes."

Well I sure hope you didn't "point" your eyes at him in a threatening manner, and I hope that your gaze didn't pass over your gun/holster on the way to him....
:rolleyes:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Here is my full report:

I arrived at the polling place at about 4:45am. I had my gun under my jacket. As soon as I got inside I took my jacket off and began OCing. There were six of us there plus two high school pages. No one said anything and no one reacted as far as I could tell.

We had a Democratic poll watcher in the precinct. She asked me a couple general questions about my gun and thought it was okay.

About two hours in one of the other EOs asked me if it was a stun gun. I informed her that it was a real gun. She asked how EOs could carry a gun. I told her that any law-abiding citizen could carry in the library. She asked why I was carrying and I said personal protection. Then she told me that she felt safer because I was there.

I was able to inform the two high school pages about carrying. They seemed very interested

About 4 hours in the Chief EO said he noticed I had a sidearm, to which I replied yes. (I told him I had the same gun when we met for two hours on Saturday and he said he didn't notice). He then asked if it was loaded and I told him yes. He just smiled and nodded his head.

About five hours in another EO asked what kind of gun it was (Full-size Springfield XD-45). He asked if someone could take my gun. I explained how my Serpa's retention features worked. He asked how many bullets (13) and if it was an automatic. I explained what a semi-auto was.

Around 1pm Mark Sickles (D) stopped by and said thanks to the EOs. Not sure if he noticed my gun.

Around 2pm Gerry Connolly stopped by to say thanks. He definitely saw my gun and his eyes about popped out of his head. He recovered, smiled and shook my hand.

The only voter reaction happened around 5pm. I heard a woman mentioned something about my gun. Before I could even turn and say something one of the EOs said "don't worry, he's a good guy." The voter said "Oh good" and smiled.

Overall, it was an awesome day. there was no blood in the streets. Women and children did not scream and run in fear. Amazingly all of the above discussions did not involve any discussion of politics. I will be doing this again next year.

Last edited: