• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

bc.cruiser

Brand new and my first post here. I have had my CC permit for about a year now and carry pretty much all the time. Got a Blackhawk paddle holster from my wife as a b-day present from Colts. Came home to check on OC laws and came across this site. Glad I found it. I knew I could OC but wasn't sure about specifics. Anyway, carried in Lowes and had one older lady ask her friend "did you see that?" after she walked by me. Talked to an associate about something I needed and nothing from him or anyone else. Also went to Food lion in Winterville and didn't even get a glance. I have seen an older guy OCing in there before though. Very nervous as this was my first time but no issues.

Welcome to the site! Glad the lady in Lowe's admired the gun (that WAS what she liked, wasn't it?):lol:
If you haven't already, print out several of the OC flyers and carry them with you. Pass them out. I OC 99% of the time; about 50% of the time, I'm OC and CC. Have yet to have a problem.

repo_4

Welcome to the site! Glad the lady in Lowe's admired the gun (that WAS what she liked, wasn't it?):lol:
If you haven't already, print out several of the OC flyers and carry them with you. Pass them out. I OC 99% of the time; about 50% of the time, I'm OC and CC. Have yet to have a problem.

I found that newest one and downloaded it. I will print a few off to have with me. Also, on a side note, I have seen alot of posts on here about BB&T and their policy. I am not sure why they have this policy (will look into it) but they are very conservative on most other policies and corporate vision. Full disclosure, I work for a subsidiary of the bank.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--I have seen alot of posts on here about BB&T and their policy. I am not sure why they have this policy (will look into it) but they are very conservative on most other policies and corporate vision. Full disclosure, I work for a subsidiary of the bank.

Once upon a time I had a residential mortgage with BB&T. They did not allow me in their office even though I was giving them money, not attempting to make unauthorized withdrawals. When the interest rate improved, I told them I was going with another lender and they offered to meet n' beat the new terms to keep my business. Said "No thanks!" and told them why too.

sjcpilot

Hey all,

New here aswell, been doing a lot of research about the NC gun laws and such, just turned 18 about a month ago and want to OC. I do unfortunately live in Cary and I have read a good amount on this forum about Cary's "ordinance" against OC. I would like to see if anyone could chime in and inform me if this is still in place, if its still legal, also any tips for a new open carrier?

Thanks!

Dizalot

Kangaroo in CHapel Hill @ Estes and 15-501

I carry in here regularly and have never had a problem. Got my first question about my sidearm today form the clerk. There was an off duty officer that walked in in formt of me. I don't think he even noticed me. I paid right after him and there was a customer standing around that made a comment about there being a lot of guns in the store. The clerk then asked me if I was a detective ( I wear a suit to work and carry a radio pager on belt as I am a volunteer fireman). I said no and explained I carry for my own protection and to exercise my rights. Had a nice little discussion and went on to work. All in all a great encounter.

Bearfoot

I did fail to mention the car dealer's name in an earlier post. It is Greenville Toyota. Will have to make a visit to friendorfoe and put notes there.

FlyBoy276

Hey all,

New here aswell, been doing a lot of research about the NC gun laws and such, just turned 18 about a month ago and want to OC. I do unfortunately live in Cary and I have read a good amount on this forum about Cary's "ordinance" against OC. I would like to see if anyone could chime in and inform me if this is still in place, if its still legal, also any tips for a new open carrier?

Thanks!

I OC in Cary all the time, as I live on the Raleigh/Cary boarder. Don't OC on any property owned by the city. Sidewalks, roads, parks, etc. If you are on private property, you're ok.

WalkingWolf

I OC in Cary all the time, as I live on the Raleigh/Cary boarder. Don't OC on any property owned by the city. Sidewalks, roads, parks, etc. If you are on private property, you're ok.

I have never heard of an arrest in Cary for this ordinance, maybe they just don't publicize it. I have OC'd in Cary on public road. There were police that drove by without incidence. I was carrying a load of lumber at the time and stopped to tighten the straps, I have no doubt the Cary police saw my weapon as the deck of my flat bed is 5 ft. I had to reach above my waist to tighten them. I have never walked down the sidewalk of Cary OC but I have heard that others have.

FlyBoy276

I have never heard of an arrest in Cary for this ordinance, maybe they just don't publicize it. I have OC'd in Cary on public road. There were police that drove by without incidence. I was carrying a load of lumber at the time and stopped to tighten the straps, I have no doubt the Cary police saw my weapon as the deck of my flat bed is 5 ft. I had to reach above my waist to tighten them. I have never walked down the sidewalk of Cary OC but I have heard that others have.

Its a Cary ordinance, so Im not going to do it and chance something worse than this happening: Detained while OCing in Cary today

WalkingWolf

Its a Cary ordinance, so Im not going to do it and chance something worse than this happening: Detained while OCing in Cary today

Well first the Cary ordinance is only city property not private property, a holster is not partially concealed, and GATTOP has certain specifics, none of them were met by the person in the office supply store. Hopefully he bought a nice car with the settlement from that incident if he was smart enough to sue.

Also important to note that the OP of that thread was only detained(unlawfully) and his weapon was returned, and when he filed a complaint it was noted the officers behavior. He was never charged with any crime, received any citation. You should at least read the Cary ordinance to see what it actually says. You should also read up on GATTOP, any officer making an arrest for just OC on that charge will be buying your next car.

The problem with Cary it is full of retired Yankees. They leave up North because they do not like it there, then they spend the rest of their energy trying to make the South into the North.

Last edited:

FlyBoy276

Well first the Cary ordinance is only city property not private property, a holster is not partially concealed, and GATTOP has certain specifics, none of them were met by the person in the office supply store. Hopefully he bought a nice car with the settlement from that incident if he was smart enough to sue.

Also important to note that the OP of that thread was only detained(unlawfully) and his weapon was returned, and when he filed a complaint it was noted the officers behavior. He was never charged with any crime, received any citation. You should at least read the Cary ordinance to see what it actually says. You should also read up on GATTOP, any officer making an arrest for just OC on that charge will be buying your next car.

The problem with Cary it is full of retired Yankees. They leave up North because they do not like it there, then they spend the rest of their energy trying to make the South into the North.
Ok, well, the point was that there IS an ordinance about OC on city owned property, and I will not do it despite the fact that there have been others in the past that have done it and gotten away with it. I won't be the one a bored CPD officer decides to make an example of. The thread I showed was an effort to show how 'educated' CPD officers can be on gun laws. What that guy was doing was not a crime, but accordinig to Cary, walking on the sidewalk with a firearm exposed IS.

WalkingWolf

Ok, well, the point was that there IS an ordinance about OC on city owned property, and I will not do it despite the fact that there have been others in the past that have done it and gotten away with it. I won't be the one a bored CPD officer decides to make an example of. The thread I showed was an effort to show how 'educated' CPD officers can be on gun laws. What that guy was doing was not a crime, but accordinig to Cary, walking on the sidewalk with a firearm exposed IS.

There is an ordinance about display, OC is preemptive in NC. Chapel Hill regulates size, it does not outlaw OC. Neither does Carry, it is probably why there have been no arrests for displaying because OCing is covered by state statutes and court rulings. To be honest unless a person is downtown or old neighborhoods with city owned sidewalks most OCing is on private property. The parking lots of stores, convenience stores, and shopping centers do not count for the ordinance.

BTW I see your from Raleigh, why give Cary any business with a BS law.

A word on the size in Chapel Hill, it is six inches total length. I have a 2 inch J frame that is eight inch total, a PA-63 that is also 8 inch total. Now both these guns are considered pocket guns, but are legal to OC in Chapel Hill.

Last edited:

FlyBoy276

I stay out of Cary as much as possible. ;)

§ 14‑409.40. Statewide uniformity of local regulation.
(f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from application of their authority under G.S. 153A‑129, 160A‑189, 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, 14‑277.2, 14‑415.11, 14‑415.23, including prohibiting the possession of firearms in public‑owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas, except nothing in this subsection shall prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a motor vehicle while the vehicle is on these grounds or areas. Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.

§ 160A‑189. Firearms.
A city may by ordinance regulate, restrict, or prohibit the discharge of firearms at any time or place within the city except when used in defense of person or property or pursuant to lawful directions of law‑enforcement officers, and may regulate the display of firearms on the streets, sidewalks, alleys, or other public property. Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit a city's authority to take action under Article 36A of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes. (1971, c. 698, s. 1.)

*scratches head*

WalkingWolf

I stay out of Cary as much as possible. ;)

§ 14‑409.40. Statewide uniformity of local regulation.
(f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from application of their authority under G.S. 153A‑129, 160A‑189, 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, 14‑277.2, 14‑415.11, 14‑415.23, including prohibiting the possession of firearms in public‑owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas, except nothing in this subsection shall prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a motor vehicle while the vehicle is on these grounds or areas. Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.

§ 160A‑189. Firearms.
A city may by ordinance regulate, restrict, or prohibit the discharge of firearms at any time or place within the city except when used in defense of person or property or pursuant to lawful directions of law‑enforcement officers, and may regulate the display of firearms on the streets, sidewalks, alleys, or other public property. Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit a city's authority to take action under Article 36A of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes. (1971, c. 698, s. 1.)

*scratches head*

According to State V Kerner the carry on streets, sidewalks, alleys of military sized handguns cannot be prohibited by local government. They can regulate size, and they can prohibit possession on public property such as buildings and parks. NC Supreme court rulings have the force of law. That is why Cary uses display instead of open carry, it is an intimidation tactic and that is it. Once they actually make an arrest for it, and it goes to the NC Supreme court the law will be tossed in my opinion. Chapel Hill tried to outlaw open carry and it was tossed so they settled for size restrictions. Keep in mind a Walther PP is a military weapon, and also considered a pocket gun but is legal in Chapel Hill.

Quote:(Supreme Court of North Carolina. May 11, 1921.)

1. Weapons--Right to bear arms under federal Constitution not restriction on power of state.
Const. U.S. Amend. 2, providing that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, is a restriction only on federal authority and not on the states. (Per Clark, C.J., and Hoke, J.)

2. Weapons--Right to bear arms can only be restricted as provided in Constitution.
Under Const. art. 1, § 24, providing that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed but that nothing therein shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons or prevent the Legislature from enacting penal statutes against such practice, the exception indicates the extent to which the right to bear arms can be restricted, and the Legislature can prohibit the carrying of concealed weapons but no further. (Per Clark, C.J., and Hoke, J.)

3. Weapons--Knives, etc., not "arms" within constitutional provision.
Bowie knives, dirks, daggers, slung-shots, loaded canes, brass, iron, or metallic knucks, (p.223)razors, etc., the carrying of which is prohibited by Pub. Loc. Laws 1919, c. 317, are not "arms" within Const. art. 1, § 24, preserving the right to bear arms. (Per Clark, C.J., and Hoke, J.)

4. Weapons--Pistol is within constitutional right to bear "arms."
A pistol is properly included within the word "arms," and the right to bear such arms cannot be infringed under Const. art. 1, § 24, as the Constitution includes all arms in common use and borne by the people as such when the provision was adopted, though by reason of modern inventions they are now little used in warfare.
(Per Clark, C.J., and Hoke, J.)

5. Weapons--Carrying while intoxicated or in places of public assembly, etc., may be prohibited.
Notwithstanding the right to bear arms under Const. art. 1, § 24, it would be a valid and reasonable regulation to prohibit the carrying of deadly weapons when intoxicated, or to a church, polling place, or public assembly, or in a manner calculated to inspire terror which was forbidden at common law. (Per Clark, C.J., and Hoke, J.)

6. Weapons--Carrying of small pistols easily concealed may be prohibited.
Notwithstanding the right to bear arms under Const. art. 1, § 24, the Legislature may prohibit the carrying of pistols of such small size as to be easily and ordinarily carried concealed. (Per Clark, C.J., and Hoke, J.)

7. Weapons--Statute requiring permit for carrying of pistol, though unconcealed, is invalid.
Pub. Loc. Laws 1919, c. 317, so far as it prohibits the carrying of a pistol unconcealed off of one's own premises without a permit for which a fee of $5 and a bond in the sum of $500 is required, is invalid under Const. art. 1, § 24.

8. Weapons--Right to bear arms may be regulated, but regulation must be reasonable.
The right to bear arms protected and safeguarded by Const. U.S. Amend. 2, and Const. N.C. art. 1, § 24, is subject to the authority of the General Assembly in the exercise of the police power to regulate, but the regulation must be reasonable and not prohibitive and must bear a fair relation to the preservation of the public peace and safety. (Per Allen and Stacy, JJ.)

WalkingWolf

If you are really worried and want to OC in Cary buy a Colt Sistema. They are a South America military surplus handgun, which makes them specific to State V Kerner. A PA-63 is also a military surplus handgun, as well as Makarov, and the CZ. Stay with a surplus and they cannot touch you by the NC Supreme court, and NC constitution.

They can only limit the size of gun you "display" while OCing. They cannot outlaw OC on streets, sidewalks, and alleys. Display as in Chapel Hill is used in relation to size. Cary is trying to cute, by not putting the size in the ordinance, it carries no weight of law unless the gun is not a military handgun and is concealable. Chapel set it as 6 inch minimum length. Since Carry did not specify a length the courts would most likely use the 6 inch rule or throw it out.

Last edited:

carolina guy

Re-posting this from another thread..

This is from another thread, but I think helps with the Cary "carry" thing... :)

http://www.townofcary.org/Departments/police/Community_Services/Firearms_within_the_Town_of_Cary.htm

According the Cary Police Department website, the only places that you can NOT open carry are:

...at certain events such as public parades, funeral processions, picket lines or demonstrations. For more, see NCGS. 14-277.2.​

The places they mention that cannot carry otherwise are places you cannot carry concealed:

The Town of Cary does not allow a concealed handgun in town-owned buildings, on the appurtenant premises of those buildings, or in town recreation facilities as defined by G.S. 14-415.23, which are all town playgrounds, athletic fields and athletic facilities. A list of recreational facilities shall be set out in a Schedule of Recreational Facilities at which Concealed Handguns are Prohibited which shall be updated as necessary and retained permanently in the office of the Director, Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources. Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing in this section shall prohibit a concealed handgun permittee from securing the handgun within an enclosed compartment of a locked motor vehicle. We encourage you to keep firearms and other valuables secured and out of sight. See Section 22-51(1) of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances.​

But, if you go look at their city ordinance:Sec. 22-51. Prohibition of the carrying and display of handguns, firearms and other weapons at certain public locations."

(a) Concealed handguns. NOT RELEVANT to open carry - rest snipped
(b) Other firearms and weapons. No person shall display any firearm or other deadly weapon as defined in G.S. 14-269(a), or any knife having a blade of three inches or longer, BB gun, air gun, paintball gun, airsoft gun, bow and arrow or any type of lethal weapon, while on any public street, alley, sidewalk or other public property within the town, including town greenways, unless specifically permitted or authorized by law. No person shall carry or have possession of a knife having a blade of three inches or longer, a BB gun, air gun, paintball gun, airsoft gun, bow and arrow or any type of lethal weapon in any park, including town greenways. This subsection (b) is not applicable to concealed handguns, which are governed by subsection (a) above. MEANS it covers Open Carry
(c) Exceptions. The possession or display of a firearm or other weapon is exempt from the provisions of this section 22-51 in the following situations:
<snip>
(2) If the possession or display of the firearm, or other weapon, was the result of an individual(s) exercising his or her legitimate right to self defense or the defense of others as allowed by law. This keeps this ordinance in compliance with the 2nd Amendment
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

This is from another thread, but I think helps with the Cary "carry" thing... :)

http://www.townofcary.org/Departments/police/Community_Services/Firearms_within_the_Town_of_Cary.htm

According the Cary Police Department website, the only places that you can NOT open carry are:

...at certain events such as public parades, funeral processions, picket lines or demonstrations. For more, see NCGS. 14-277.2.​

The places they mention that cannot carry otherwise are places you cannot carry concealed:

The Town of Cary does not allow a concealed handgun in town-owned buildings, on the appurtenant premises of those buildings, or in town recreation facilities as defined by G.S. 14-415.23, which are all town playgrounds, athletic fields and athletic facilities. A list of recreational facilities shall be set out in a Schedule of Recreational Facilities at which Concealed Handguns are Prohibited which shall be updated as necessary and retained permanently in the office of the Director, Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources. Notwithstanding the foregoing, nothing in this section shall prohibit a concealed handgun permittee from securing the handgun within an enclosed compartment of a locked motor vehicle. We encourage you to keep firearms and other valuables secured and out of sight. See Section 22-51(1) of the Town of Cary Code of Ordinances.​

But, if you go look at their city ordinance:Sec. 22-51. Prohibition of the carrying and display of handguns, firearms and other weapons at certain public locations."

(a) Concealed handguns. NOT RELEVANT to open carry - rest snipped
(b) Other firearms and weapons. No person shall display any firearm or other deadly weapon as defined in G.S. 14-269(a), or any knife having a blade of three inches or longer, BB gun, air gun, paintball gun, airsoft gun, bow and arrow or any type of lethal weapon, while on any public street, alley, sidewalk or other public property within the town, including town greenways, unless specifically permitted or authorized by law. No person shall carry or have possession of a knife having a blade of three inches or longer, a BB gun, air gun, paintball gun, airsoft gun, bow and arrow or any type of lethal weapon in any park, including town greenways. This subsection (b) is not applicable to concealed handguns, which are governed by subsection (a) above. MEANS it covers Open Carry
(c) Exceptions. The possession or display of a firearm or other weapon is exempt from the provisions of this section 22-51 in the following situations:
<snip>
(2) If the possession or display of the firearm, or other weapon, was the result of an individual(s) exercising his or her legitimate right to self defense or the defense of others as allowed by law. This keeps this ordinance in compliance with the 2nd Amendment
[/QUOTE]

Exactly so most of the ordinance is not enforceable because it contradicts itself. It does not say open carry because it can't or be tossed. And the NC Supreme court ruling put display as to firearms size, and type. Hence no arrests, and why most people who would open carry outside of Cary OC in carry. Let's keep in mind the makeup of Cary, mostly shopping centers and private housing developments. Some of those housing developments maintain their own roads. The parking lots of stores are not streets, sidewalks, of Cary.

carolina guy

Exactly so most of the ordinance is not enforceable because it contradicts itself. It does not say open carry because it can't or be tossed. And the NC Supreme court ruling put display as to firearms size, and type. Hence no arrests, and why most people who would open carry outside of Cary OC in carry. Let's keep in mind the makeup of Cary, mostly shopping centers and private housing developments. Some of those housing developments maintain their own roads. The parking lots of stores are not streets, sidewalks, of Cary.

I agree...it looks like they are keeping this to keep "kids" from running around with BB guns, bows and the such, but then they realized after recent court decisions that they CANNOT take away someone's RIGHT to self defense. Still too much of the retirement/plastic neighborhood mentality where the old stick-up-the-rear types can't stand anyone that doesn't completely conform to their ideals running around uncontrolled. Never been to Cary, so I don't know the layout of the town, but I know the types! :)

About all that I can support that town like these (Concord included) do is restrict the mega-booming car stereos that force you to hear the bass of somoene's car from 100' away in traffic. Makes me wish for a mini-EMP device in my car. ;) We used to live in Charlotte, and it is a relief to not hear that all the time anymore.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I agree...it looks like they are keeping this to keep "kids" from running around with BB guns, bows and the such, but then they realized after recent court decisions that they CANNOT take away someone's RIGHT to self defense. Still too much of the retirement/plastic neighborhood mentality where the old stick-up-the-rear types can't stand anyone that doesn't completely conform to their ideals running around uncontrolled. Never been to Cary, so I don't know the layout of the town, but I know the types! :)

About all that I can support that town like these (Concord included) do is restrict the mega-booming car stereos that force you to hear the bass of somoene's car from 100' away in traffic. Makes me wish for a mini-EMP device in my car. ;) We used to live in Charlotte, and it is a relief to not hear that all the time anymore.

Coulda just said Yankees... LOL