• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to the N. Chesterfield area

va_tazdad

Yet another welcome

Welcome to "South of the James by Invitation Only", North Chesterfield. Having escaped here from NOVA I found it much friendlier than "the trendy and fashionable West End".

As to snow, we have a 7 year cycle. Most years there is a bit of snow, but every 7 years we get dumped on. Just remember, the crews do not have the equipment PA does for clearing roads when it does snow and most people can't drive in it. They think because they have an SUV (or a SMV) that they can just keep going 70 mph. They seem to forget about stopping.

Other than that, this area is just about perfect. No traffic to speak of, plenty of restaurantes and cheap ciggs. Anything else you might want is only 2 hours away, mountains west, ocean east and museums and fine arts north.

Stop by for the weekly breakfast or the monthly dinner. Good food and good conversations. ;>)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for the life story. I'm convinced at we need to do everything we can to get you to agree to stay here.

And to set the record straight, central Virginia has one of the best snow removal programs in the world - it's called the month of May!:D (Actually, one of the former mayors of Richmond, who then went on to mess up the Governor's office, said that.)

Your encounter with the VSP must not have involved any finger pointing. (It's a long story that also involved a conversation about my gun's "paperwork". If you are really interested, search for "Surry".)

Hope to meet you at one of the gatherings.

stay safe.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I was told that the Utah is a better deal when renewing and doesn't require getting fingerprinted again on renewal. My question was; if I am a Pennsylvania resident can I take the Utah or Florida here in Virginia rather than going back up to Pennsylvania?

Utah is a better deal upon renewals and does not require prints after the initial submission.....correct.

You can take the class here, no matter what your residency is. You do not have to go back to Pa.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Utah is a better deal upon renewals and does not require prints after the initial submission.....correct.

You can take the class here, no matter what your residency is. You do not have to go back to Pa.

Proshooter is our resident "Go To" training company. (He's also from up Nawth:lol::lol:)

If you come to the monthly dinner you could meet him....except this month it's at a BarBQ place on the Southside...and he hates BarB Q. Just a character flaw I guess:p

scouser

Proshooter is our resident "Go To" training company. (He's also from up Nawth:lol::lol:)

If you come to the monthly dinner you could meet him....except this month it's at a BarBQ place on the Southside...and he hates BarB Q. Just a character flaw I guess:p

+1 on peter's recommendation. I've taken a few of Proshooter's classes, he's about as professional as they come and he makes the classes fun too. Also a decent guy who recognizes former students when he sees them.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you ever had a Saturday morning free and came to breakfast with us you would know him as the person Logan leads about on a leash. He also arranges for fire trucks to go by so Logan can appreciate the beauty of the moment.

Not sure if tomorrow's (4/28) breakfast has been made a sticky yet - it's at River Coty Diner on Parham Road just west of I-95.

stay safe.

Michele

After bouncing like a ping pong ball for the last few months (PA & NC for business), I'm finally settled (as best I could be) here in VA.

Approximately 3 weeks ago, I officially became a VA resident! So of course after doing the DMV disaster, I popped over to the circuit court for my conceal permit. I'll copy/paste my encounter from my Facebook notes entitled "Three Weeks."

THREE WEEKS
Friday, August 18, 2012 ·

Today is 3 weeks since I've dropped off my application for a resident VA CCW (LTCF).

In 2008, Randy (mtbkski on the forum) suggested to Tony F (TonyF on the forum) of the FIRE institute holding a handgun 101 class for couples. Being I wasn't in a couple situation, I took the class with my son James. Besides live fire, the class included field stripping, cleaning as well as clearing jams and stovepipes. Very very informative. The class went far beyond my expectations of a handgun 101 course. I even brought along my AR for some lunchtime fun for everyone. :~)))

Here in VA the requirements for a CCW (LTCF) are a bit different than those in PA. Here in VA, you don't need personal references however, you do need proof of competency with a handgun.

I picked up the application at the circuit court house and figured I was golden. After all, I did complete an accredited course.......right?

Oh, and I just want to add this for my PA friends: VA courthouses don't have lockers for handguns, they are not allowed on the premisses, not at all, never. Neither are knives or cellphones allowed.

I fill out the short application an attach a copy of my FIRE institute letter explaining everything that was taught in the class including 5-6 hours of live fire on the range. I was pretty excited, my class at FIRE far exceeded the requirements necessary for a VA CCW. I was golden, yippee!

I go up to the woman who accepts applications with all my info (application, DL, letter, 50 bucks).

She looks through the paperwork and says:

"Where is your competency with a handgun certificate?"

Um, right here.

"FIRE institute, where is that?"

Pittsburgh.

"Pittsburgh, is that Pennsylvania? (OMFG!!!) That isn't good here in VA."

Why isn't it good here? It far exceeds VA's requirements for the license.

"Its from a different state and your drivers license states that you got it yesterday. I don't think you have it long enough."

Ma'am, VA is a shall issue state and as long as I pass the background check........

"A what?"

Shall issue state.

"A what? What is that?"

Nevermind.

Ok, so now, I'm starting to get angry, trying desperately to hold tight my Brooklyn tongue. After all, I did swear on my application that I wasn't crazy. I also figured that if I let loose on this tight assed biotch, I'd never get a license. I decided that logic might be a better fit rather than sarcastic charm.

Ma'am, the state of VA gives out non resident licenses to those that have a current valid license from their home state. There are many states which do not require a competency with a handgun certificate and VA will still issue a non resident license. VA is a shall issue state.

"Oh, that isn't us, that is the state police who issue non resident permits. You'll have to take that up with them."

Ok, now I'm getting heated. I can feel my carotid artery starting to throb. This &%^*# has grated her stupidity on my last nerve! Breathe, Michele, breathe!

Ma'am, I could take a course in cyberspace for 20 bucks and get a printable certificate stating that I'm competent with a handgun. VA accepts an online course as valid as opposed to a live course by an accredited institution? Ma'am, taking an online course only proves I've got a VISA card and I'm pretty damn competent with a mouse.

Allot of blinking going on now.......... I thought about suggesting Visine.......:/

"We have 45 days to respond." So, really, when will I get mine? "Figure 3 - 3 1/2 weeks."

UGH! So here it is early Wednesday morning, and still no license. I'm thinking this might not turn out well after all.

Sangre

After bouncing like a ping pong ball for the last few months (PA & NC for business), I'm finally settled (as best I could be) here in VA

snip snip
snip snip snip

"We have 45 days to respond." So, really, when will I get mine? "Figure 3 - 3 1/2 weeks."

UGH! So here it is early Wednesday morning, and still no license. I'm thinking this might not turn out well after all.

Doesn't sound like like they should have any reason to deny it so I'm sure you'll get the permit, it will likely be closer to the full 45 days though. I remember when I replied I got a sly remark from the clerk but no real issues at all.

And either way it doesn't stop you from OC'ing :)

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Virginia calls their hall pass a Concealed Handgun Permit - get it right! :cuss::banghead::cuss: ;)

Hate to throw water on an otherwise perfectly good rant, but if you were applying for a non-res permit the clerk was right - that goes through the State Police.

Did you have to do the walk of shame and go back to your car to stash all the forbidden items before going in to the Clerk's Office?

And now that you have decided to drop anchor, remember the Saturday morning breakfasts and second-Tuesday of the month dinners. I'm pretty sure you will find folks who are like-minded about a lot of things besides firearms. While politics is always open for conversation (polite or otherwise) it seems we need to be minful about BBQ and okra.

You did not mention that you have done so, so - go to www.vcdl.org and at least sign up for the VA-ALERT email newsletter - it's free. You can join VCDL on-line or at any of the gun shows, including the one this weekend at the Raceway Complex. ProShooter should be there - you can swap accents. :D

Again, weclome to Virginia. Hope to get the opportunity to meet you.

stay safe.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
including the one this weekend at the Raceway Complex. ProShooter should be there - you can swap accents. :D

I actually won't be there as I'm teaching elsewhere. My sales staff will be there though.

To the OP - I wish you would have called me prior to going down to Arrestafield. I would have gladly explained how to avoid the holes that you fell in when dealing with the Circus Court.

Last edited:

Michele

CHP, got it!

I've been O/Cing around with no issues to speak of. The only issue I had with the public was with the statie at Wawa which was a positive encounter. I did get a look from my neighbor (who called others in their home to come out) when I was carrying my long guns (they are soft cased) to my car in the garage. Maybe instead of beware of dog signs, private property signs, and no trespassing signs, I should hang some mind your own business signs around the property.

Once a month I meet my landlord to pay the rent and have some girl chat. We either have coffee, lunch or dinner. Last month she suggested Fridays, 13140 Rittenhouse Drive (Hull St Road) Midlothian (I'm not a fan of Fridays, but whatever). I had gotten there a few minutes early and decided to wait outside instead of in the car. Approaching the entrance the lettering hit me in the face, "Weapons Are Not Permitted On the Premises." I even took a picture! When she got there I told her I WON'T go in there, even if I wasn't carrying or didn't carry. I could have stashed my firearm in my car but I'm a bit stubborn, stick to my convictions, and embrace my rights. Fridays won't ever get a dime of my money and I hope others will also boycott them, even those that are not 2A friendly. Its all about freedoms and rights.

Its funny, one of my friends from PA got his VA non in 3 weeks. I guess the state police are a bit more on the ball.

After the DMV disaster, I figured the circuit court would have been a better trip. I'm guessing (like most states), state agencies hire the mentally handicapped. I don't whether to applaud them for recognizing folks with handicaps or cry.

All in all its been good here in VA. I'm officially a resident and so is my German Shepherd (he's licensed). Now that I'm not so busy, I can start enjoying the state. Now, if they would only get to fixing 288 and 95 (God, I hate 95), life might just be perfect!

I hope to be making one of the gun friendly munch fests very very soon. :)

A range, a range, I need to get to a range!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Congratulations!

zsouth.jpg

67GT390FB

Congratulations!

zsouth.jpg

i will add that i think Michele has come up with a perfect immgration plan for those moving from north to south. They all need to stop in rural or western PA for a minimum of six years to wash off some of the yankee and let it dilute a little before proceeding further south. Marylanders would need to move north first before being allowed south of the potomac or onto the eastern shore of VA.

The above is intended as humor if it offends you I-95 still goes North. :p:monkey:D

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
.... Now, if they would only get to fixing 288 and 95 (God, I hate 95), life might just be perfect! ....

Not that I would wish it on you, but you might want to compare Richmond's Rush Fifteen Minutes (OK, it is progressively getting longer) to the parking lot that magically appears twice a day on the roads and streets in NotVa.

Peter Nap says it's OK to go as far as the Ni River, but I'm not taking any chances.

stay safe.

Michele

i will add that i think Michele has come up with a perfect immgration plan for those moving from north to south. They all need to stop in rural or western PA for a minimum of six years to wash off some of the yankee and let it dilute a little before proceeding further south. Marylanders would need to move north first before being allowed south of the potomac or onto the eastern shore of VA.

The above is intended as humor if it offends you I-95 still goes North. :p:monkey:D

I'm going to have to disagree with you about the Marylanders. They'd never survive north of the Delaware Memorial Bridge. (Or maybe that was your intent sending them up north) I'm thinking California would be a much better fit for them. Heck, they might even improve it!

Its funny, most of the people I've met here have never called me a Yankee (might have something to do with the firearm). They're pretty much intrigued with my speech and my NYC life experiences. Believe it or not, not every southerner dislikes Yankees. North Carolina is a whole nutha' story.

What I find a bit disheartening about VA (this area) is that I see very very few folks flying our American Flag. Curiously enough I've seen more American Flags proudly waving in NYC and PA than in VA. That saddens me a bit. When I was looking for a rental property, I did go to an area (It will come back to me eventually where it was) where everyone flew the rebel flag. I felt sad. Probably NOT the place this Yankee *should* be hanging her hat. ;)