• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Open Carry Flyers & Information Cards - STICKY

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
VCDL already makes a larger version.. I have found they can be read but "hardly" anyone I know carry them. I am sure a few do.. but I have found people REALLY want to carry business card size. Here is how you make the print bigger.. 1. Join VCDL, 2. get all your family and friends to join VCDL. 3. Come to lobby day. 4. Anytime an ALERT comes out to write your delegate and senator, do it.. right away. 5. Help pass the bills that VCDL puts on the GA agenda and make some of the dumb laws go away.. then they will be removed from the card and make room for the existing laws to be printed in larger text. :p

Gotcha. Already took care of numbers 1, 4, and 5.

There is still lots more work to be accomplished on #5 - no short fix.

B. Reddy

Upcoming legislative session?

There is still lots more work to be accomplished on #5 - no short fix.

Is it too early to be looking for the list of proposed bills for the next legislative session?

I really appreciated that thread with the wish list that had all the issues/bills ranked by individual desirability.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Is it too early to be looking for the list of proposed bills for the next legislative session?

I really appreciated that thread with the wish list that had all the issues/bills ranked by individual desirability.

Already in progress. Priority levels, expectations etc. Work being done on the Legal Action Committee level is targeting the 2013 GA session. Team work and multiple thinking does have its benefits.

Best thing anyone can do in the interim is to establish a good working relationship with their Delegate and Senator. We have several very active lobbyists within our group who will vouch for the personal and frequent contact method.

TFred

Just a guess, you might be referring to the survey that I put together. I thought it was handy, and I'm not sure how widely the results were seen, but the number 1 issue ended up being "a" castle doctrine, and we very nearly ended up with a disaster.

Opinions? Was that survey helpful, or a near-disaster for us?

TFred

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Just a guess, you might be referring to the survey that I put together. I thought it was handy, and I'm not sure how widely the results were seen, but the number 1 issue ended up being "a" castle doctrine, and we very nearly ended up with a disaster because of that.

TFred

Actually think it helped to save the day. As a result more people became better educated in the nuances and complexity (case law et al) of Castle Doctrine in Virginia.

B. Reddy

Yepp! That's it.

Just a guess, you might be referring to the survey that I put together. I thought it was handy, and I'm not sure how widely the results were seen, but the number 1 issue ended up being "a" castle doctrine, and we very nearly ended up with a disaster.

TFred

TFred-

That survey, complete with rankings for the various issues, sure was helpful. Hope you can knock another one together for this fall.

If anybody wants to see last year's, here's the link. Scroll down 20-some entries, and you'll get a pretty good picture of its value.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...012-Virgina-General-Assembly&highlight=SURVEY

TFred

TFred-

That survey, complete with rankings for the various issues, sure was helpful. Hope you can knock another one together for this fall.

If anybody wants to see last year's, here's the link. Scroll down 20-some entries, and you'll get a pretty good picture of its value.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...012-Virgina-General-Assembly&highlight=SURVEY
Thanks for your kind words. I hope to do something similar this fall as well.

This link should take you straight to the post that was the last results of the survey that I posted. I'm reminded that I left it open... ha ha, so unless the site took it down for lack of activity, you can probably still go vote yet! :)

ETA: Looks like the link to the survey doesn't work any more... I'll have to chase it down in the next day or so and see what's up.

TFred

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--

ETA: Looks like the link to the survey doesn't work any more... I'll have to chase it down in the next day or so and see what's up.

TFred

Possibly related - John just recently upgraded OCDO by adding Cloudflare which should greatly enhance security. There have been some link and cache issues that are in the process of being resolved.

carsontech

Activist Member
Last edited:

Thundar

Best thing anyone can do in the interim is to establish a good working relationship with their Delegate and Senator. We have several very active lobbyists within our group who will vouch for the personal and frequent contact method.

My delegate is Mame BaCote. No matter how often I write her, and no matter how nice I am, she just doesn't seem willing to support any pro gun legislation.

I have now hatched a much more evil plan. I only hope she takes the bait.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
My delegate is Mame BaCote. No matter how often I write her, and no matter how nice I am, she just doesn't seem willing to support any pro gun legislation.

I have now hatched a much more evil plan. I only hope she takes the bait.

There are many forms of a "good working relationship" :lol:

HearseGuy

Hi Ed!

I saw your cards a long time ago before I started OCing. I didn't realize how many people are completely unaware of OC in VA. 3 or 4 times now I've said dang I wish I had some of those cards Ed made to give to people!

Do you still have these cards available? Just wanted to make sure before i send off an envelope.

Thanks bud!

lil_shawn1990

Thanks Ed for the cards, one thing i might add is the website you have for the concealed carry course on the card. There is a cheaper one, vaguntraining.com. its like $29. my wife used it and it worked for her.