• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do felon cops so frequently receive ultra-lenient sentences?

OC for ME

It is. Up until about 30 years ago, you wouldn't believe how free France and Switzerland were. Even today, if you don't care about 1st and 2nd amendment rights there are many nations more economically free. Singapore, for example. The place is run like one big loving totalitarian family. With canings and a hang man's noose if you disobey.
.....if you don't care about the 1A and 2A.....:shocker::monkey:shocker::banana::shocker::lol::lol::lol:

And based upon my recollection of the IMMEDIATE emotional breakdown of said officer in this specific incident I do believe he thought and believed he had his TASER in his hand and not his firearm. Tragic death? Absolutely! but NOT A SUMMARY EXECUTION in any way! Certainly, a demonstration of lack of training and also the UNWISENESS of placing both taser and firearm on the same side of the uniform! Neither of which is or was AN INTENTIONAL ACT as a summary Execution would be!

Notice: I never said or claimed the use of the taser was justified or appropriate!
I guess his taser just happened to work its way around to where his service weapon was.

Deanimator

And based upon my recollection of the IMMEDIATE emotional breakdown of said officer in this specific incident I do believe he thought and believed he had his TASER in his hand and not his firearm. Tragic death? Absolutely! but NOT A SUMMARY EXECUTION in any way! Certainly, a demonstration of lack of training and also the UNWISENESS of placing both taser and firearm on the same side of the uniform! Neither of which is or was AN INTENTIONAL ACT as a summary Execution would be!

Notice: I never said or claimed the use of the taser was justified or appropriate!
What I found interesting was the fact that he was initially allowed to flee the jurisdiction.

SFCRetired

It is. Up until about 30 years ago, you wouldn't believe how free France and Switzerland were. Even today, if you don't care about 1st and 2nd amendment rights there are many nations more economically free. Singapore, for example. The place is run like one big loving totalitarian family. With canings and a hang man's noose if you disobey.

Looking at just the two examples you quoted and I bolded and underlined: Were you in either of those countries thirty years ago or earlier? Let's see; 2013 minus 30 equals 1983. 1976 to 1979, I was living in Germany and had the opportunity to travel all over Europe, including those two countries.

France was not that free, especially if you were not French and the only ones who really enjoyed Switzerland (other than the Swiss) were the ultra-rich. In none of the countries I have lived and worked in during my career was openly-voiced criticism of the government permitted. In fact, in a few of those countries, you would have received a somewhat lengthy prison sentence for daring to voice such criticism.

For the record: I care very much about all my rights and especially the ones secured by the First and Second Amendments. I mean, what would life be if I couldn't call Obozo the worst President I've ever seen and then go to the range and burn up some ammunition?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I mean, what would life be if I couldn't call Obozo the worst President I've ever seen and then go to the range and burn up some ammunition?

In an alternate universe where life was better? :uhoh:

You go to the range and shoot off some ammo ... fun stuff ! Do you yell "die, commie, die" .. that can help too.

OC for ME

A taser is never used in a hasty manner to subdue a citizen because it is "non-lethal" and thus requires calculated forethought. The cop must know that a taser is the correct weapon to use and must employ it.

A firearm can be used in a hasty manner because the situation seems to be life or death and a taser never comes to mind, so the taser will not be where the gun is because a taser would not be the weapon of choice for the most dire circumstance, getting shot at.

Also, there is no other country that respects your 1A, 2A, 4A, and 5A......because they don't recognize those rights. Heck, many countries don't have trial by jury.

minarchist

I'll add one little note to the comments of Skidmark and OC for Me: If you don't like this country, there are airplanes and ships leaving every day that will take you to any other country you wish to go to.

Make me.

Yes, our country has some serious warts, but, as a man who has lived in quite a few other countries and visited many more, I can tell you that what we have in this country is a damn sight better than whatever is in second place.

This country had concentration camps, non-consensual radiation experiments, non-consensual syphillis experiments, law enforcement who are allowed to beat, rape, steal, frame, and murder completely innocent people with few to no repercussions, a fascist culture that glorifies the mass murder of innocent people by remotely-controlled flying robots, etc. So yes, I very much hate this government and the disgusting, mentally deranged people who worship it.

minarchist

Do you always believe whatever the police say? There are uncountable instances of police lies. The profession is a magnet for psychopaths, so it is absolutely no surprise that a power drunk cop wanted to have some fun and execute a man in public, knowing full well that he would never, ever face any serious repercussions in a fascist society that blindly worships authority.

onus

This country had concentration camps, non-consensual radiation experiments, non-consensual syphillis experiments, law enforcement who are allowed to beat, rape, steal, frame, and murder completely innocent people with few to no repercussions, a fascist culture that glorifies the mass murder of innocent people by remotely-controlled flying robots, etc. So yes, I very much hate this government and the disgusting, mentally deranged people who worship it.

In your opinion, do you think there is a country that is currently better than America ?

Do you think there is a country that historically has been better than America ?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
In your opinion, do you think there is a country that is currently better than America ?

Do you think there is a country that historically has been better than America ?

Why are you confusing the country with the government?

The Donkey

A taser is never used in a hasty manner to subdue a citizen because it is "non-lethal" and thus requires calculated forethought. The cop must know that a taser is the correct weapon to use and must employ it.

A firearm can be used in a hasty manner because the situation seems to be life or death and a taser never comes to mind, so the taser will not be where the gun is because a taser would not be the weapon of choice for the most dire circumstance, getting shot at.

Also, there is no other country that respects your 1A, 2A, 4A, and 5A......because they don't recognize those rights. Heck, many countries don't have trial by jury.

Both handguns and tasers are deadly weapons and both require proper training. Unfortunately, tasers are not viewed that way, which leads to tragedies like this:

[video=youtube;N_s-9aLJdLU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_s-9aLJdLU[/video]

We need to ensure that police get more taser training, to be sure.

But also, as the video illustrates, for whatever reason, there is something about policing that can harden the spirit so much that the police too easily forget that such events are even tragedies.

So there is reason for the stick society wields against the guards to be bigger than that wielded against the guarded.