• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Secret Compartment in auto ILLEGAL - man arrested

sudden valley gunner

Darn guess this bikes compartment would fail scrutiny, or maybe not since it isn't "secret" you can see it. Which raises an interesting question. If a compartment is visible it would no longer be secret, right?

countryclubjoe

Darn guess this bikes compartment would fail scrutiny, or maybe not since it isn't "secret" you can see it. Which raises an interesting question. If a compartment is visible it would no longer be secret, right?

Hi Folks

Hi SVG-- You know how to travel my friend! Do you have a license to travel on that bike? LOL . Be careful you don't get stopped for suspect DUI..

Back on point for a second... Another issue I could see happening is this; Compartments that come standard in a vehicle IE, glove compartment, arm rest compartment that all LAC have in their vehicles could be considered by LEA as a compartment for "HIDING SECRET COMPARTMENTS" and therefore subject to a search... I could see it now, Officer Primus stops LAC, Officer Primus to LAC, let me see your papers. LAC complies, Officer Primus then ask citizen, do you have any compartments in your vehicle, LAC what do you mean by compartments? OP, you know glove box, arm rest, sun visors, you know, LAC, yes, OP ok I need to search those compartments to see if your hiding any "SECRET COMPARTMENTS"...
Talk about a slippery slope

Thank you and best regards,

CCJ

Last edited:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I dunno. That beverage carrier don't look factory stock to me.

But, check out that swell horn! And, that kickstand!

:)

rscottie

People talk about ignorance of the law, what about ignorance that the compartment exists?

The law specifically grants used car dealers an exemption from having to notify car buyers that the vehicle has a hidden secret compartment.

Considering how complex the steps are to get in to the better made compartments, someone could be driving a used vehicle and not even be aware it has a hidden compartment.

Imagine granny getting locked up because they found an illegal compartment?

This law is wrong and should be nullified.

eye95

People talk about ignorance of the law, what about ignorance that the compartment exists?

The law specifically grants used car dealers an exemption from having to notify car buyers that the vehicle has a hidden secret compartment.

Considering how complex the steps are to get in to the better made compartments, someone could be driving a used vehicle and not even be aware it has a hidden compartment.

Imagine granny getting locked up because they found an illegal compartment?

This law is wrong and should be nullified.

The law already requires knowledge of the compartment and its use to traffic in contraband.

MyWifeSaidYes

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.241
2923.241 Hidden compartments in vehicles.

(B) No person shall knowingly design, build, construct, or fabricate a vehicle with a hidden compartment, or modify or alter any portion of a vehicle in order to create or add a hidden compartment, with the intent to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(C) No person shall knowingly operate, possess, or use a vehicle with a hidden compartment with knowledge that the hidden compartment is used or intended to be used to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(E) Whoever violates division (B) of this section is guilty of designing a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance...

(F) Whoever violates division (C) or (D) of this section is guilty of operating a vehicle with a hidden compartment used to transport a controlled substance...

(I) This section does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms provided that at the time of discovery the box, safe, container, or other item added to the vehicle does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.

So, IF the hidden compartment DOES NOT contain at least VISIBLE residue of drugs, and DOES NOT contain valuables, electronics or firearms, the prosecutor must prove INTENT.

Right?

It was a very persuasive video presentation by the folks at Ohioans for Concealed Carry that got "drug residue" changed to "VISIBLE drug residue".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCDvHxViWs0

Yes, this law is bad and, hopefully, someone will fight it and not just settle.

sudden valley gunner

I got to thinking about the claim made the arrest and suspicion was justified "because they found a wire".

I had wires that went back to the "secret compartment" in my Durango, because the previous owner had a subwoofer back there. I never removed the wires. All those claims are balderdash.

eye95

So, IF the hidden compartment DOES NOT contain at least VISIBLE residue of drugs, and DOES NOT contain valuables, electronics or firearms, the prosecutor must prove INTENT.

Right?

It was a very persuasive video presentation by the folks at Ohioans for Concealed Carry that got "drug residue" changed to "VISIBLE drug residue".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCDvHxViWs0

Yes, this law is bad and, hopefully, someone will fight it and not just settle.

The law is bad because it criminalizes behavior related to the behavior they really want to stop. They want to stop the smuggling of contraband, so they make a law against a tool that could be used for the activity they want to stop, but that could also be used for perfectly innocent activities. Sound familiar?

MyWifeSaidYes

The law is bad because it criminalizes behavior related to the behavior they really want to stop. They want to stop the smuggling of contraband, so they make a law against a tool that could be used for the activity they want to stop, but that could also be used for perfectly innocent activities. Sound familiar?

ARE YOU CALLING ME A TOOL? Oh, wait...you mean guns, right? :rolleyes:

MyWifeSaidYes

Okay. Thanks for clearing that up!

If I put a sign on my car that says, "This vehicle contains a hidden compartment", think I'll get any interest from LEO's?

carolina guy

Well, you'll be establishing the knowledge element of the crime!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

It isn't really a secret compartment anymore, and the police know it is inside the vehicle, so not really hidden--just not immediately visible.

carolina guy

"Secret" is not an element. "Hidden" is.

Fair enough. :) It isn't really hidden anymore, even if it is not visible. Minus RAS, they would have no "need" to look further to establish any of the other "elements" such as the intent to transport controlled substances.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I have lots of odd, small hidden compartments in my vehicle ... an I sometime had "drugs" in them ... now I'm screwed I guess ..

Better change the registration to the wife's name huh?