• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

mp06011999

....Your advice was valid: "walk softly," as normal.

Perhaps there's the problem - what's normal. I typically don't walk softly. I walk with an attitude. Besides basically hating people, it's also just my normal demeanor. I have the "don't f with me" look / attitude...except right now. So that I don't get shot by an angry Metro, I'm working on walking softly. Forgive me, it's new for me. lol

I'm more like my avatar than I care to admit

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Perhaps there's the problem - what's normal. I typically don't walk softly. I walk with an attitude. Besides basically hating people, it's also just my normal demeanor. I have the "don't f with me" look / attitude...except right now. So that I don't get shot by an angry Metro, I'm working on walking softly. Forgive me, it's new for me. lol

Okay, now it makes perfect sense and is great advice for others like you. We are all different, and I get walked on often because I walk too softly sometimes, even when I shouldn't.

Now, I think I found your new shirt:
facts.jpg

mp06011999

Okay, now it makes perfect sense and is great advice for others like you. We are all different, and I get walked on often because I walk too softly sometimes, even when I shouldn't.....

Wow Mac, I too was confused. I was like, "don't they get it? Be cool..." lol I really had no idea, wow. Yep, we do all carry ourselves differently and I should have figured. You're like, "but I'm always calm and cool". hahaha Too funny man - seriously. Chalk this one up to a "three's company moment".

My buddy once told me that the reason I NEVER get out of a ticket is because the cop sees my attitude before he even gets out of the car. :confused:

And I love the shirt!
It'll go perfectly with my 2 others:
"Do I look like a f$#*ing people person" and
"It's okay to be full of hate, people suck"
:mad:

Vegassteve

THIS! ^^^ Yes, I'm out of state and yes there are LEOs who violate our rights but we should still understand not all of them are bad and should be willing to protect one of their lives just as readily as one of us if need be.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

When the good ones stand up and call out the bad ones. Then I will believe that all cops are not bad. This from a post above just proves the attitude of most cops. Exactly the opposite of the Constitution they swore to uphold. "Everyone is a suspect and everyone is a buttocks hole until proven not. As a cop, thinking otherwise will get you killed."

rightwinglibertarian

When the good ones stand up and call out the bad ones. Then I will believe that all cops are not bad. This from a post above just proves the attitude of most cops. Exactly the opposite of the Constitution they swore to uphold. "Everyone is a suspect and everyone is a buttocks hole until proven not. As a cop, thinking otherwise will get you killed."
Not all cops think like that. innocent until proven guilty. Would I trust one? No, he'd have to earn it.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

JoeSparky

Centurion

It isn't that all, most, or many cops are bad, it is that during the time from before the encounter and during the encounter one has GREAT DIFFICULTY IDENTIFYING those that aren't! They are ALL wearing the same uniform and very rarely does a good cop stop a bad cop during the violation of ones rights!
Sadly, even one thought to be a good cop manages to dash that perception to dust by their own actions.

So, truly, sad!

Craftymommy

FWIW, growing up with a cop dad who liked guns, I was introduced to firearms before I was even 6. Dad would let me help him clean his guns. Guns were not taboo, but instead my older brother and I were educated on firearms. So much so that, sit down for this.....

I recall sneaking into our parents' room many times and finding the guns that they of course thought they had hidden and playing with them, practicing drawing and shooting in front of the mirror. Of course because we had been educated in the proper handling, we ALWAYS cleared them and never pointed them at a person.
Knowing that kids will ALWAYS find anything you think you are hiding you can choose to lock them up or as Dad always said, "I don't lock anything up from my boys. I educate them on how to handle stuff." Of course he would had killed us had he known his 11 year old is playing with his guns when he's gone. But I like to think that either I did such a wonderfully safe job of it that he never knew or that he did know and was secretly proud. Either way, never shot anything I didn't mean to. ;-)

My son is only 3 and doesn't quite have the strength to clear a gun yet but he does ask us if it is safe before he touches one. He watches my husband and I clear the firearms before we let him handle it. Exception is when we go out to the desert and are shooting. We stand right next to him and help him so that he can learn how to handle a firearm, only put his finger on the trigger when he is ready to shoot, and of course to stay pointed down range at his target. We have shown him the damage guns can do(shot at watermelons), and of course he enjoys shooting. I am definitely teaching my kids how to handle firearms in the event they do manage to get to them. Since boys are curious creatures and I have two with one on the way!

DON`T TREAD ON ME

+ 1000 ^^^^^^^ I am a soft walker as well nothing to change! Glad we figured that one out.

28kfps

I was working on a car in the garage on Sunday, and needed to go to the auto parts store as I unexpectedly needed another part. I do not think that it would be appropriate for me to change my outfit because the outside chance I run into METRO could exist. I carried appropriate to MY situation, and went about my business.

The fact that I am acquainted with mp, and respect your judgement. Your distrust in METRO's ability to ascertain between a threat or not, coupled with KFPS's advice, "depends on the way we dress, or smile." (" Open carriers should tread lightly in the presence of Metro so as to avoid a heated and possibly deadly exchange. Emotions are no doubt running high.") is blood chilling.

Cops are trained to respond when contact is initiated with them. I do not initiate contact with them, it is almost assured that you will get contact back. I think that carrying normally (disregarding outside influences) is the only way to "normalize" open carry. When I have a tough day, I do not want to burden the people around me with behavior modifications, The cops will get over it (most likely before the family's.)

On Tuesday march 25th of this year, my girlfriend was pulled over, and cited for talking on her cell phone. (something I have never seen her do) She informed the METRO cop (because he asked) that she was trying to find the place called simple cremations, her mom had died the night of the 23rd. and My girlfriend was lost, late, and family members were trying to explain to her how to navigate the industrial area she was in. This cop said "If she died Sunday night, You have had time to get over it" He was acting like she was trying to get out of the ticket.... While she could have cared less about the cite.

My point with the story is this I do not have a problem with the cops being upset, But I do not drive my semi, If I am tired, been drinking, or otherwise not in the game. If METRO is going to let a couple of nut jobs dictate their actions, they have some substantial issues. I certainly have not lived a happy life by letting the actions of a couple of wacko's dictate my actions. Walk on eggshells if you want to, but it won't help OC in my opinion.

On thing is for sure you do and have many times proven the ability to drag very simple statements in multiple directions, past, beyond and around the point. I am not very good at getting my point across so maybe my fault.

You used the words metro and cop 7 times. While composing my original reply, metro or cop never was part of my thought train.

When I said carrying in a way having the best chance of projecting at first glance a look, that we are a non-threat, confident armed civilian. I really could care less what Metro’s opinion is of yours or my legal open carried gun and it never entered my mind. I never said a word or made any indication of metro's concern of over an Oced firearm in my reply neither did the poster I was quoting. He was commenting on the public being more timid of the sight of a non-leo carrying. Many of our local public just had the carp scared out of them by a couple non-cop-carrying guns and killing people.

My point, good time to get out trying to do damage control trying to project at first glancing (I will help you out here) by the general public a look that we (non-cops) are a non-threat.

Did my statement of “How does one project such appearance? Not sure. For me when ocing in Vegas hoping a nice shirt tucked in clean no holes pants and a smile gives that appearance.” Lead you to the conclusion I was saying you and anyone else seeing this should change their outfit before going out OCing in the situation you refer to? Did you miss the part where I said “for me? “

Last edited:

ed2276

CARRYING a rifle is not what we refer to as "OC" and any witness would instinctively know the difference. One is threatening by its very core, and the other is not.

I'm sorry, MAC. I'm not quite following you here. I didn't write that Miller was OCing the rifle, but that he was openly "brandishing" the rifle. My point was that he was an obvious threat and Wilcox would have focused on him because he could see the threat, while Miller's wife had concealed her handgun in her purse, allowing her to escape Wilcox's notice that she was a threat and ambush Wilcox.

ed2276

Agreed.

While not that one, I oc at Cicis all the time. They've never had a problem with it. Madmen like this will probably destroy that.

I don't know mp, it could go either way. I think that because of Wilcox's actions a lot of people will be more accepting of concealed carry, if not OC, because they see that not everyone who carries a gun in public is a nut, but can be real heroes. I think Metro's praising Wilcox, paying tribute to him as a hero and as one of their "brothers", and fundraising for his family will go a long way toward demonstrating to the public that the sheepdogs (OC/CCW) who try to protect the flock from the wolves are not to be feared, but respected.

Had Metro gone the other way and portrayed Wilcox as foolish and spoken out against members of the public who OC/CC becoming involved in taking on bad guys public perception of OC/CC probably would not be accepting of it, as they now seem to be.

ed2276

Yesterday OC:

1. Chase Bank, N. Durango and Dorrell.
2. Well's Fargo Bank, N. Durango and Elkhorn; the teller asked me what kind of gun I was carrying. There was a lady behind me in line who saw my gun. She smiled at me as I left.
3. 7-Eleven, Town Center and Covington Cross in Summerlin.
4. Smith's, N. Durango and Elkhorn.

No incidents at the above locations.

There was a snow cone vendor set up outside of Smith's and two Metro officers were standing near the vendor with their SUV parked on the sidewalk. I approached the officers carrying my plastic shopping bag in my left hand. As I got nearer to the officers I told them that I was open carrying on my left hip, and pointed toward my weapon with my right hand. One of the officers said, "Ok, thanks for telling me." Neither of the officers were on edge or seemed concerned that I was OCing. I shook hands with the first officer and he grasped my hand for sometime as I expressed my condolences to them and for Officer Beck's and Officer Soldo's families. I then shook the other officer's hand.

I asked if the snow cone vendor was fundraising for the officers and the officer said, yes, and also for Mr. Wilcox. He stated that the snow cone vendor was giving half of their sales to the fundraising efforts. There was also a donation jar near the vendor for personal donation to the officers' families and for Mr. Wilcox's family. I spoke with the officers for a few more minutes.

The line for the snow cones was pretty long, and we were all out in the heat. No one complained. Even I didn't complain, although my left Reebok shoe felt like it was melting into my foot. Now I know what a "hot foot" is. lol.

Several people came up to the officers to give their condolences and shake their hands. Another Metro officer showed up and I shook his hand before I left. He also was not concerned or on edge because I was OCing a weapon in his presence.

This was the only contact I have had with Metro while OCing. I don't know how Metro typically reacted to OC before, but I think Joe Wilcox's heroism may well go a long way in establishing good relations between OC/CCW and officers on the street.

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...I think Metro's praising Wilcox, paying tribute to him as a hero and as one of their "brothers", and fundraising for his family will go a long way toward demonstrating to the public that the sheepdogs (OC/CCW) who try to protect the flock from the wolves are not to be feared, but respected...

While I disagree with the "sheepdog" mentality, I wholly agree that Metro PD's statements will have a positive effect on the general public's perception of armed citizens.

SNIP...The line for the snow cones was pretty long, and we were all out in the heat. No one complained. Even I didn't complain, although my left Reebok shoe felt like it was melting into my foot. Now I know what a "hot foot" is. lol.

Want to know what a "hot foot" is? Come down to Phoenix, AZ anytime during the next ~3 months.:p

Several people came up to the officers to give their condolences and shake their hands. Another Metro officer showed up and I shook his hand before I left. He also was not concerned or on edge because I was OCing a weapon in his presence.

This was the only contact I have had with Metro while OCing. I don't know how Metro typically reacted to OC before, but I think Joe Wilcox's heroism may well go a long way in establishing good relations between OC/CCW and officers on the street.

Hopefully, the people who saw the officers at ease in your presence will have a better perception of armed citizens because of it.

Last edited:

mp06011999

Yesterday OC:
...two Metro officers were standing near the vendor with their SUV parked on the sidewalk. I approached the officers carrying my plastic shopping bag in my left hand. As I got nearer to the officers I told them that I was open carrying on my left hip, and pointed toward my weapon with my right hand. One of the officers said, "Ok, thanks for telling me." Neither of the officers were on edge or seemed concerned that I was OCing....

Very Awesome! And exactly what I was talking about. Never before would I dream of approaching Metro and telling them anything. But right now, it just seems right...and the best way to handle it. But VERY nice they don't seem on edge. Awesome.

As for what stores will do... Sadly, I believe as with everything, "follow the money" and can see stores looking at the financial liability over public safety. Their primary concern is money. They will make whatever policy their attorneys deem makes them the least financially liable in 'shootings'. And given the nature of things don't be surprised if victims' families sue Walmart or Cici's thus making them reevaluate their current policy. For example, Costco & Starbucks know that they cannot keep guns out of their stores, but having a sign or policy that says "No Weapons" makes them look like (legally) they are doing their part to curb gun violence - just as the politicians do with their feel-good gun control laws. It's all make believe and in this case, will a jury believe "we asked people to leave their guns outside so it's not our fault...". And until stores, schools & governments are facing greater financial responsibility for creating victims for disarming them, I don't see them making policy to allow weapons when push comes to shove. Of course that's why we all open carry - to help change that attitude, right. :)

On that note, when I first saw the news article about the loaded 9mm Hi-point that was left in Target's toy department I immediately thought, what a clever (and gruesome) tactic some anti did because as you know, MDA has been targeting Target to become anti. What better way than to..... I won't spell it out. You know where I'm going.

Keep fighting the fight.

Last edited:

DON`T TREAD ON ME

On thing is for sure you do and have many times proven the ability to drag very simple statements in multiple directions, past, beyond and around the point. I am not very good at getting my point across so maybe my fault.

You used the words metro and cop 7 times. While composing my original reply, metro or cop never was part of my thought train.

When I said carrying in a way having the best chance of projecting at first glance a look, that we are a non-threat, confident armed civilian. I really could care less what Metro’s opinion is of yours or my legal open carried gun and it never entered my mind. I never said a word or made any indication of metro's concern of over an Oced firearm in my reply neither did the poster I was quoting. He was commenting on the public being more timid of the sight of a non-leo carrying. Many of our local public just had the carp scared out of them by a couple non-cop-carrying guns and killing people.

My point, good time to get out trying to do damage control trying to project at first glancing (I will help you out here) by the general public a look that we (non-cops) are a non-threat.

Did my statement of “How does one project such appearance? Not sure. For me when ocing in Vegas hoping a nice shirt tucked in clean no holes pants and a smile gives that appearance.” Lead you to the conclusion I was saying you and anyone else seeing this should change their outfit before going out OCing in the situation you refer to? Did you miss the part where I said “for me? “

Sorry for the confusion, I was replying to MP and your comments at the same time. It may have looked as if I was putting mp's words in your mouth, and vice versa... I will attempt to address things in a situational manner from now on.

mp06011999

My son is only 3 and doesn't quite have the strength to clear a gun yet but he does ask us if it is safe before he touches one. He watches my husband and I clear the firearms before we let him handle it. Exception is when we go out to the desert and are shooting. We stand right next to him and help him so that he can learn how to handle a firearm, only put his finger on the trigger when he is ready to shoot, and of course to stay pointed down range at his target. We have shown him the damage guns can do(shot at watermelons), and of course he enjoys shooting. I am definitely teaching my kids how to handle firearms in the event they do manage to get to them. Since boys are curious creatures and I have two with one on the way!
Haha, I understand. I'm a child of the 70s so Dad had revolvers. Easy to clear. Till this day I still count out the bullets I removed and compare count the chambers when I clear 'em. Too funny what we retain when we learn it young. Very proud of you and your hubby for educating your children. Teach a man to fish...
Curious indeed. There is no such thing as "hiding" it from kids. I was such a curious child that my dad would come to me to ask for a good place to hide money from Mom. haha
Him a cop he still couldn't believe the places I had. Uhoh, I feel Crafty's got some questions for her little ones. :lol:

MaxPower

I had a nice opportunity to educate a couple of guys today. I was open carrying while working like I normally do. I inspect and photograph properties for investors, and now also for mortgage companies. As I was talking to a tenant that was in the process of moving out of a house today, his buddy in the truck says "Is that a Sig?". I said, "No, it's Springfield XDM." A nice conversation about guns ensues.

Both guys then started asking about what kind of license was needed to carry, and of course I explained that for open carry, no license is needed. Both men were surprised by this, but also excited about the prospect of being able to carry without a license. I gave each of them one of garand_guy's information cards and told them about OCDO. Hopefully we'll soon have a couple new open carriers amongst us.