• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Nevada

garand_guy

Will not entrust my safety or that of my loved ones to someone else - especially when that person(s) has the oversight of how many customers and employes.....5?.....25?.....250?

My priorities are much closer to where I stand.

I took my gun to Walmart today, and an extra magazine, which I never have done before (the magazine, not the gun).

I will only go willingly unarmed (regularly) to work and California.

mp06011999

I was telling my son the stories of today and he said the same thing! Either it's because it's Friday the 13th or the heat or maybe both.:eek: Thinking of staying in for the rest of the day. ;)

Sorry, but even on Saturday the 14th some people will still be stupid. :p

Will not entrust my safety or that of my loved ones to someone else - especially when that person(s) has the oversight of how many customers and employes.....5?.....25?.....250?...
Only a fool (or a child) would entrust someone else to provide their safety. I can see the failed protector now standing over my corpse saying "Geez, sorry 'bout that". At least if I fail I prolly won't know it. :lol:

Enjoy the weekend ALL :banana::monkey:banana::monkey

Craftymommy

I had a pretty interesting OC experience the other day (so to speak).

I just moved to my new house about a month ago and finally decided to check out the local bar just around the block. I opted to conceal my pocket gun. I walked in and it seemed like a nice enough joint - not too busy, pretty clean, and the TVs weren't too loud. I sat and ordered a beer and much to my surprise I noticed the gentleman working behind the bar was OCing! After a few minutes I called him over and asked what the establishment's policy was on patrons OCing as well.

He got a little flustered and said that if he knows the person, he asks them to conceal if they have a permit or just leave it at home. For the sake of other customers being concerned about people drinking with a gun and whatnot. I can't say that I got a clear answer out of him as to whether or not he would allow me though. After a few minutes he came back and we talked a little bit about gun laws (he was very misinformed from his class at the gun store) regarding drinking. At this point he explained to me that I caught him off guard with my question because he doesn't actually know the company's firearm policy. He and another bar tender just started open carrying to work for the safety of their customers and themselves, not really caring what the company's policy was LOL!!

That is awesome. I sincerely hope they don't get in trouble over it!

Craftymommy

Haha, I understand. I'm a child of the 70s so Dad had revolvers. Easy to clear. Till this day I still count out the bullets I removed and compare count the chambers when I clear 'em. Too funny what we retain when we learn it young. Very proud of you and your hubby for educating your children. Teach a man to fish...
Curious indeed. There is no such thing as "hiding" it from kids. I was such a curious child that my dad would come to me to ask for a good place to hide money from Mom. haha
Him a cop he still couldn't believe the places I had. Uhoh, I feel Crafty's got some questions for her little ones. :lol:
Nothing to hide, yet at least! I didn't grow up with firearms because my mom was too scared. We had my grandpas guns in the house and my sister and I knew where they were but told to not touch them. Granted we were older ( I was in high school) but all the same I wish they would have taught us. My husband and I bought our first firearm around the time my oldest was born and now here we are today. Two kids, one on the way, and them learning how to respect firearms!

Side note on my mom, they finally got guns the past few years because of my brother in boys outs and my mom loves shooting. Go figure:rolleyes:

mp06011999

I'm a lover of the new Cosmos series. Just watched an episode where he talks about knowledge, science and other tools. It was beautiful when he said that science (& knowledge) has of course been misused by some just as all tools have, but the best way to keep it from being misused on a grand scale is to assure that it stays in the hands of the masses and not a select few.

Wow, an excellent argument against gun-control if I've ever heard one.

CPLMortonRA

Disgusting...

Funny experience this morning. Decided to go to the 1 gas station in the town I reside like I do almost every morning. So I grabbed the dogs and we all piled in my ol' ford and away we went. As usual I greeted the attendant and grabbed the usual. While waiting in line I heard the woman behind me mumble "that's disgusting". So I turned right around and said "excuse me" in a nice and friendly tone. The look on her face was priceless it was like catching my kid doing something that she wasn't supposed to be doing. So she asked me if what I was carrying was a real gun and I said yes it is. She then responded by saying "you're disgusting, there I said it". So as much as the grunt wanted to come out of me I remained calm and responded with a "very well, so then its ok for me to call you disgusting for exercising your RIGHTS to free speech? Ma'am you are disgusting for exercising Free Speech! Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?" Not a word from her after I said that, it was like she was trying to come up with a rebuttal but had absolutely nothing in her armory. The gas station attendant heard the whole conversation and of course chimed in when I got to the counter with an "how are you doing today you disgusting man you". I laughed pretty good at that one and before you think that the attendant is an anti I've been OC'ing in that establishment ever since I moved here and I know her personally. I then said "oh me and my disgusting self are doing pretty darn good". I didn't even care that the woman I just had the conversation with was standing behind me. In fact after my brief convo with the attendant I think she left after because when I heard the door open I of course had to look because I hate surprises and she was no longer behind me. Anywhose payed for my crap and gave the beef jerky to the dogs who were anxiously awaiting their daily treat with tails a'waggin! All in all still a good overall experience.

28kfps

Funny experience this morning. Decided to go to the 1 gas station in the town I reside like I do almost every morning. So I grabbed the dogs and we all piled in my ol' ford and away we went. As usual I greeted the attendant and grabbed the usual. While waiting in line I heard the woman behind me mumble "that's disgusting". So I turned right around and said "excuse me" in a nice and friendly tone. The look on her face was priceless it was like catching my kid doing something that she wasn't supposed to be doing. So she asked me if what I was carrying was a real gun and I said yes it is. She then responded by saying "you're disgusting, there I said it". So as much as the grunt wanted to come out of me I remained calm and responded with a "very well, so then its ok for me to call you disgusting for exercising your RIGHTS to free speech? Ma'am you are disgusting for exercising Free Speech! Sounds ridiculous doesn't it?" Not a word from her after I said that, it was like she was trying to come up with a rebuttal but had absolutely nothing in her armory. The gas station attendant heard the whole conversation and of course chimed in when I got to the counter with an "how are you doing today you disgusting man you". I laughed pretty good at that one and before you think that the attendant is an anti I've been OC'ing in that establishment ever since I moved here and I know her personally. I then said "oh me and my disgusting self are doing pretty darn good". I didn't even care that the woman I just had the conversation with was standing behind me. In fact after my brief convo with the attendant I think she left after because when I heard the door open I of course had to look because I hate surprises and she was no longer behind me. Anywhose payed for my crap and gave the beef jerky to the dogs who were anxiously awaiting their daily treat with tails a'waggin! All in all still a good overall experience.

That was the most disgusting funny thing I have ever read. I say a disgustingly job well done.

b0neZ

Well done!

From the description of the area that you provided, it's possible that we could be neighbors. Are you by chance close to Lahonton Reservoir?

garand_guy

"that's disgusting".

"I disagree with you open carrying a firearm."
"I don't approve of that."
"I think guns should only be carried by the police."

All fine, and respectful uses of free speech.

Why is it 'disgusting'? Is it 'disgusting' that you wanted to protect yourself? Is it 'disgusting' that the police want to protect themselves? Does she want to vomit when she sees two police officers carrying guns while in line at the pizza joint?

What makes it 'disgusting' for you to carry, but likely (in her mind) perfectly palatable for the police to do the same thing? Does she think the boys in blue are better than the average person, that the lives they are sworn to protect are some how less worthy of self-preservation?

It might be distasteful for her to see a gun carried because perhaps she has wrongly (though not without reason) associated them with bad guys, but to be disgusted by someone respectfully going about his own business while protecting himself is in and of itself, disgusting.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I OC'ed as usual during my rifle match today. I won my first Vintage Military Bolt-Action Rifle (ViMBAR) match after steadily getting better and better the past several years and finally buckling down to practicing my techniques and loading some high quality ammo. I took second last month with my Enfield No. 4 Mk I, and I won today with my M96 Swedish Mauser.

As usual, I OC'ed to lunch with the guys to BJ's Brewhouse. While there, two Metro cops came in for lunch. The captain took the seat facing the door. Later, another uniformed Metro cop came in with what looked like his family and ate on the other end of the restaurant. But since this is Nevada, no one cares that I was just as openly armed as they were. And they didn't care, either. Since they were in uniform, I drank a dark draft beer in their honor.

vegaspassat

This morning was an interesting one. It started off with a trip to the gas station.

Clerk: so, are you a cop?
Me: Nope.
Clerk: so you just carry one of those cuz you can?
Me: yep.
Clerk: yeah, Ive been seeing that a lot more lately.

And then later that day I was standing in line at home depot and the guy atanding in front of me asks-

Guy: So I'll ask you since you choose to carry openly. That guy at the walmart - would you have done the same thing?
Me: I'd be dead too. I would have done the same thing and made the same mistake.
Guy: I carry concealed and I've been talking with my friends about it lately. I think I would have tried to heard everyone to a safe place instead of confront the crazy.
Clerk: that whole situation isba damn shame
Me: yeah, it really is.
Clerk: I've been seeing a lot more people like you in here lately too.

And then just a little while ago at autozone-

Clerk: So what are you carrying?
Me: It's a springfield but its just a 9.
Clerk: Yeah I have a 45. So you can carry like that without a permit right?
Me: Yep. As long as you can legally own a firearm.
Clerk: I've been thinking about it a lot lately since I don't have a permit and with that guy at walmart. I just don't want to be more of a target for open carrying. But I've been seeing a lot more people doing it though. Heck, you're the 4th person to come in here today.
Me: Tell you what.....Why don't you check out OCDO.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Craftymommy

This morning was an interesting one. It started off with a trip to the gas station.

Clerk: so, are you a cop?
Me: Nope.
Clerk: so you just carry one of those cuz you can?
Me: yep.
Clerk: yeah, Ive been seeing that a lot more lately.

And then later that day I was standing in line at home depot and the guy atanding in front of me asks-

Guy: So I'll ask you since you choose to carry openly. That guy at the walmart - would you have done the same thing?
Me: I'd be dead too. I would have done the same thing and made the same mistake.
Guy: I carry concealed and I've been talking with my friends about it lately. I think I would have tried to heard everyone to a safe place instead of confront the crazy.
Clerk: that whole situation isba damn shame
Me: yeah, it really is.
Clerk: I've been seeing a lot more people like you in here lately too.

And then just a little while ago at autozone-

Clerk: So what are you carrying?
Me: It's a springfield but its just a 9.
Clerk: Yeah I have a 45. So you can carry like that without a permit right?
Me: Yep. As long as you can legally own a firearm.
Clerk: I've been thinking about it a lot lately since I don't have a permit and with that guy at walmart. I just don't want to be more of a target for open carrying. But I've been seeing a lot more people doing it though. Heck, you're the 4th person to come in here today.
Me: Tell you what.....Why don't you check out OCDO.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

We only ever had one clerk say anything about myself and my husband OC and he was basically an idiot about it. We had a sort of encounter but it was more the clerk chiming in on a convo husband and I were having with a couple behind us about OC and that no permit was needed. We haven't seen anyone OC so far but I wouldn't be surprised if I start seeing more! And of course +1 for promoting this great site we are on!

CPLMortonRA

"I disagree with you open carrying a firearm."
"I don't approve of that."
"I think guns should only be carried by the police."

All fine, and respectful uses of free speech.

Why is it 'disgusting'? Is it 'disgusting' that you wanted to protect yourself? Is it 'disgusting' that the police want to protect themselves? Does she want to vomit when she sees two police officers carrying guns while in line at the pizza joint?

What makes it 'disgusting' for you to carry, but likely (in her mind) perfectly palatable for the police to do the same thing? Does she think the boys in blue are better than the average person, that the lives they are sworn to protect are some how less worthy of self-preservation?

It might be distasteful for her to see a gun carried because perhaps she has wrongly (though not without reason) associated them with bad guys, but to be disgusted by someone respectfully going about his own business while protecting himself is in and of itself, disgusting.

Now I can understand if I was waving it about like an idiot(yes those people exist) just looking for peoples reactions then her disgusting statement would have been justified. But none the less people are entitled to their own opinions and they are going to think what they are going to think no matter what I say or do. However there are those few who are just misinformed and we can shed the light on the subject, this lady however was clearly not one of those people.

Jeannette

Finally had an encounter with a normal person. Went to Payless Shoe Store (Tropical/Centennial) and the wonderful lady who worked there asked me what I was carrying. After I told her what I had she told me about her Berretta 9mm which is her baby. She carries hers concealed anywhere but to school and work. But during this conversation there was no CC or OC debate. She just liked the fact that I was carrying regardless.

ed2276

Last Week:

Thurs: Walgreen's, N.Durango/Deer Springs
Friday: Walgreen's, N.Durango/Deer Springs...forgot to get something Thursday; a by-product of getting old, I guess. lol
Sat: Seafood City, Maryland/Katie...Jollibee fast food restaurant inside

Monday: Well's Fargo bank...Village Center/Trailwood.

No issues/incidents anywhere...

mp06011999

I mentioned this before, but it deserves repeating:

Was oc at Summerlin Lowe's like a year ago and this was my only bad oc experience. The "stock boy" middle-age man was reading me the riot act on how, from what he just learned in his ccw class, I was breaking several laws. Long story short, his manager apologized for her employee's behavior and said that Lowe's respects local law and that he would be "retrained".

On a similar note, because I notice that while I share a mutual respect of the 2A with you folks, we may not be coming from the same root belief. I believe in 2A BECAUSE I believe in freedom of the individual. Today on the news they talked about professional baseball's ban on dipping. Really? While I don't use any tobacco products whatsoever I still believe in your freedom to do so SO long as it does not interfere with others. And dipping does not. I mention this because it's just another example of people instilling their will on others "believe like me". As you go through your day and may run into folks that are disgusted by your open carry or enraged by your love of guns remember, they don't pay your bills or share your bed. Their personal feelings should not concern you. Unfortunately, they do because it is personal feelings that usually dictate policy and law. But I ask you to try and lead by example and NOT let your personal feelings dictate your attitude towards others' actions when those actions hurt no one. Be gay, dip, smoke away from others, toke in the privacy of your own home, tattoo yourself, carry your guns, don't carry your guns, whatever....as long as it hurts no one else and doesn't intrude upon their rights.

So maybe when asked why are you open carrying you could answer, "Because I can and it hurts no one else - you know, FREEDOM".

MaxPower

I mentioned this before, but it deserves repeating:

Was oc at Summerlin Lowe's like a year ago and this was my only bad oc experience. The "stock boy" middle-age man was reading me the riot act on how, from what he just learned in his ccw class, I was breaking several laws. Long story short, his manager apologized for her employee's behavior and said that Lowe's respects local law and that he would be "retrained".

On a similar note, because I notice that while I share a mutual respect of the 2A with you folks, we may not be coming from the same root belief. I believe in 2A BECAUSE I believe in freedom of the individual. Today on the news they talked about professional baseball's ban on dipping. Really? While I don't use any tobacco products whatsoever I still believe in your freedom to do so SO long as it does not interfere with others. And dipping does not. I mention this because it's just another example of people instilling their will on others "believe like me". As you go through your day and may run into folks that are disgusted by your open carry or enraged by your love of guns remember, they don't pay your bills or share your bed. Their personal feelings should not concern you. Unfortunately, they do because it is personal feelings that usually dictate policy and law. But I ask you to try and lead by example and NOT let your personal feelings dictate your attitude towards others' actions when those actions hurt no one. Be gay, dip, smoke away from others, toke in the privacy of your own home, tattoo yourself, carry your guns, don't carry your guns, whatever....as long as it hurts no one else and doesn't intrude upon their rights.

So maybe when asked why are you open carrying you could answer, "Because I can and it hurts no one else - you know, FREEDOM".

+1

I think this may be my first ever +1 on any forum, but if any post deserves it, this one does!

SharpShootur

Hey gang! Just a reminder:

"Chicken Wings and Target Swings" meet-up! The info is as follows:

Date: June 28, 2014
Time: 6:00 p.m.
4606 E. Sunset Rd.
Henderson, NV 89014
(702) 456-2669
*Next to Smith’s in the Sunset-Mountain Vista Plaza

Remember, eat chicken or starve!