• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

jtitus07

(d) A concealed handgun permit issued by a state to a person who is not a resident of that state shall not be valid in North Carolina. The permit holder’s address, as shown on a current drivers license, or other form of government issued identification that includes a photograph, shall be prima facie evidence of the permit holder’s state of residence.”

I know this was proposed, but AFAIK it was not passed. The current GS on the NCGA website (http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=14-415.24) does not show that line.

WalkingWolf

I know this was proposed, but AFAIK it was not passed. The current GS on the NCGA website (http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutelookup.pl?statute=14-415.24) does not show that line.

It passed in 2011 and became effective Dec 1, 2011. Unless it has been repealed or changed it is NC law.

Your cite stopped short of the full bill.

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED

AN ACT to provide that concealed handgun permits obtained by nonresidents of the state issuing the permit are not valid in North Carolina.

The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts:

SECTION 1. G.S. 14‑415.24 reads as rewritten:

“§ 14‑415.24. Reciprocity; out‑of‑state handgun permits.

(a) A valid concealed handgun permit or license issued by another state is valid in North Carolina.Carolina, except as otherwise provided in this section.

(b) Repealed by Session Laws 2011‑268, s. 22(a), effective December 1, 2011.

(c) Every 12 months after the effective date of this subsection, the Department of Justice shall make written inquiry of the concealed handgun permitting authorities in each other state as to: (i) whether a North Carolina resident may carry a concealed handgun in their state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit and (ii) whether a North Carolina resident may apply for a concealed handgun permit in that state based upon having a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit. The Department of Justice shall attempt to secure from each state permission for North Carolina residents who hold a valid North Carolina concealed handgun permit to carry a concealed handgun in that state, either on the basis of the North Carolina permit or on the basis that the North Carolina permit is sufficient to permit the issuance of a similar license or permit by the other state.

(d) A concealed handgun permit issued by a state to a person who is not a resident of that state shall not be valid in North Carolina. The permit holder’s address, as shown on a current drivers license, or other form of government issued identification that includes a photograph, shall be prima facie evidence of the permit holder’s state of residence.”

SECTION 2. This act is effective when it becomes law and shall apply to all concealed handgun permits issued on or after the effective date.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

C. Concealed Handgun Permit
Certain residents of North Caro
lina may be eligible to obtain a permit which would allow
them to carry a concealed handgun under
certain conditions. N.C. Gen. Stat.
§
14-415.11. No
other weapons may be carried concealed pursuant to such permit.
North Carolina also allows out-of-state concealed handgun permittees to carry concealed
handguns, pursuant to such permits, in North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat.
§
14-415.24(a). While
carrying a handgun pursuant to such permit, qualified
out-of-state permittees are held to the same
standards as North Carolina pe
rmittees. Consequently, there are a number of areas where
concealed handguns cannot be carried in North Ca
rolina, regardless of the individual having a
permit to carry a concealed weapon. Included on the N.
C. Department of Justice website is a list
of “Do’s
and Don’ts” for carrying a concealed handgun in
North Carolina. In order to acquire a
North Carolina permit, an individual must apply
to the sheriff’s office in the county in which
he/she resides. As part of the application process, the applicant must accomplish the following:

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

The above is the earlier cite I gave revised in 2014. I misunderstood it as law, but it appears to be DOJ opinion. The laws were revised again in 2013 which I am trying to locate again. Also it looks like the section about only permits recognized from state of residence has been removed. It appears it was removed in 2013, the place I located the section was published in 2011.

So it does appear that a resident could use a out of state permit. But I would not want to be the one fighting an arrest on it in court. There is a lot of confusion between the law and the DOJ opinion.

Last edited:

XD40sc

Quick question since we're already on the subject.

If I obtain my CHP in the state of North Carolina is it honored in the state of Florida? I used to live/work in Florida and wanted to get my CHP (CCP or whatever they call it down there) but I moved back home before becoming a resident. I was told that if I got it down there NC would honor it, but I'm not sure it works the other way around.

I have family down there and would prefer to be able to legally carry when I'm visiting.

NC CHP is honored by most states, probably more wildly honored than most other states, at least in those that honor out of state permits.

The following honor a NC CHP, Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

The states not listed above honor virtually no other states permit, such as NY, MD, NJ, RI, CT, CA, OR, HI.

Last edited:

D70inilm

Out of State Permits

C. Concealed Handgun Permit
Certain residents of North Caro
lina may be eligible to obtain a permit which would allow
them to carry a concealed handgun under
certain conditions. N.C. Gen. Stat.
§
14-415.11. No
other weapons may be carried concealed pursuant to such permit.
North Carolina also allows out-of-state concealed handgun permittees to carry concealed
handguns, pursuant to such permits, in North Carolina. N.C. Gen. Stat.
§
14-415.24(a). While
carrying a handgun pursuant to such permit, qualified
out-of-state permittees are held to the same
standards as North Carolina pe
rmittees. Consequently, there are a number of areas where
concealed handguns cannot be carried in North Ca
rolina, regardless of the individual having a
permit to carry a concealed weapon. Included on the N.
C. Department of Justice website is a list
of “Do’s
and Don’ts” for carrying a concealed handgun in
North Carolina. In order to acquire a
North Carolina permit, an individual must apply
to the sheriff’s office in the county in which
he/she resides. As part of the application process, the applicant must accomplish the following:

http://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

The above is the earlier cite I gave revised in 2014. I misunderstood it as law, but it appears to be DOJ opinion. The laws were revised again in 2013 which I am trying to locate again. Also it looks like the section about only permits recognized from state of residence has been removed. It appears it was removed in 2013, the place I located the section was published in 2011.

So it does appear that a resident could use a out of state permit. But I would not want to be the one fighting an arrest on it in court. There is a lot of confusion between the law and the DOJ opinion.

Pardon me while i throw in my experience. From the Port City, aka "Detroit on the Cape Fear", there is absolutely no problem with a NC resident using a permit from a state that issues out of state permits. When I first started the process, obtaining a permit from Utah was the cheapest way to go. Was pulled over for speeding, showed the Trooper my UTAH permit and NC drivers license, all was well.

You may carry concealed, but may not use an out of state permit to purchase.

CDT COX

Pardon me while i throw in my experience. From the Port City, aka "Detroit on the Cape Fear", there is absolutely no problem with a NC resident using a permit from a state that issues out of state permits. When I first started the process, obtaining a permit from Utah was the cheapest way to go. Was pulled over for speeding, showed the Trooper my UTAH permit and NC drivers license, all was well.

You may carry concealed, but may not use an out of state permit to purchase.

Correct. I carry with an AZ permit.

Osharroyo

First time OC'g

Hey all. First time poster. Decided to OC for the first time today at Lowes in Charlotte. Felt very nervous because I have never seen anyone OC in Charlotte, and I wasn't sure how people would react. Nobody said a word and the staff was courteous as usual. Overall a great first experience; definitely going to keep this going.

WalkingWolf

Hey all. First time poster. Decided to OC for the first time today at Lowes in Charlotte. Felt very nervous because I have never seen anyone OC in Charlotte, and I wasn't sure how people would react. Nobody said a word and the staff was courteous as usual. Overall a great first experience; definitely going to keep this going.

Congratulations, and welcome to OCDO!:D

dmatting

Congrats and Welcome. I've only seen one other OCer (besides police, of course) and I had to go up to Virginia!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Out of state permits do not exempt you from the GFSZ restrictions, where in state permits do.
State and municipal officers seldom (never?) use GFSZ as a primary offense.

Fully expect the the present version of GFSZ will be found unconstitutional just like the orginal was.

WalkingWolf

Fully expect the the present version of GFSZ will be found unconstitutional just like the orginal was.

Most times if properly concealed there is no reason for officers to bother with it. Unlike open carry the cops do not know you are armed, unless you are not doing it properly, or they are searching you.

rotorhead

Quick question since we're already on the subject.

If I obtain my CHP in the state of North Carolina is it honored in the state of Florida? I used to live/work in Florida and wanted to get my CHP (CCP or whatever they call it down there) but I moved back home before becoming a resident. I was told that if I got it down there NC would honor it, but I'm not sure it works the other way around.

I have family down there and would prefer to be able to legally carry when I'm visiting.

Yes, FL recognizes the NC CHP :)

gary737

If I was open carrying through a GFSZ, I wouldn't rely on the "seldom (never?) use GFSZ as a primary offense", to keep me from being hassled or maybe arrested.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If I was open carrying through a GFSZ, I wouldn't rely on the "seldom (never?) use GFSZ as a primary offense", to keep me from being hassled or maybe arrested.

That being the case, you would best never drive about in a large city outside of your home state - GFSZ are not marked with yellow tape and might be impossible to avoid if they were.

A few examples:
http://www.ok2a.org/fedgfsza

Jamesm760

This is one of the big arguments I have against the whole licensing garbage just to carry CC. People who have CHPs are a privileged class. You have to pay to play - and it isn't necessarily cheap. By the time all is said and done, you have to put out close to $200 - and you still have to purchase a pistol and a proper holster. There are arguments out there that justify the cost - but I don't see it. There are many who see $200 as a LOT of money - enough to completely deter them from even starting the process. While spending money on a tangible item like a pistol can be justified - the expense of the privilege card cannot. It is an elitist club of government approved privilege holders and keeps many who need it from obtaining it.

For full disclosure, I am a member of the aforementioned elitist club because I do have a CHP. I mainly use it for carry purposes in other states (SC and FL, mostly) and occasionally here in NC as well. Perhaps that makes me a hypocrite, IDK. The fact that I have the CHP does not make me a proponent of it, though.

I completely agree with you and have mine for traveling as well... it should be constitutional carry nation wide. Problem solved, but even some of these "pro gun" people that have a business based around selling the permission cards are against anything having to do with constitutional carry, and thus the crack head lurker rumors begin.

WalkingWolf

Florida is currently CC only and honors the NC CHP. Walking Wolf had mentioned a retention holster requirement - I have not heard of this and have never carried in FL with a retention holster. Do they even make IWB holsters with active retention?

I think the confusion I had that unlicensed CC in a vehicle the gun must snapped in a holster or in a closed container. I had been told this by a CC instructor, actually more than one, thankfully I was not paying for one of their classes.

WalkingWolf

That being the case, you would best never drive about in a large city outside of your home state - GFSZ are not marked with yellow tape and might be impossible to avoid if they were.

A few examples:
http://www.ok2a.org/fedgfsza

While I agree, remember Grape we are on the edge of advocating something that is actually against a unconstitutional law.:uhoh: