• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moms Demand Action February 17th Meeting - Frankfort KY

DrakeZ07

I'm re-dying my hair pink as I type, in preparation for tomorrow! :D Gotta look my most fashionable for when I show all those soccer moms that trying to ban guns hurts the LGBT community and makes us more prone to attacks.

Sir Diealotz

I'm re-dying my hair pink as I type, in preparation for tomorrow! :D Gotta look my most fashionable for when I show all those soccer moms that trying to ban guns hurts the LGBT community and makes us more prone to attacks.

LOL

Pictures or it didn't (Hasn't) happen(ed)

Bonus points for selfies with the mad mommas :lol:

poetdante

I'd like to remind everyone to be calm and courteous. Let the opposition make fools of themselves. All speaking slots have been filled. We have 6 speakers for tomorrow at the 2pm event.

Drake, I'm assuming you'll be going to the Fairness Coalition (pro-LGBT thing I was told) in the Rotunda. It is at noon or 1pm and I think it is by representative DuPlessis.... I was also told they are not gun friendly and would not be in support of gun rights but since you're going to be there I thought I'd do a decent thing and let you know about it if you had not already heard.

Everyone, thank you for coming along and if you need my cell phone pm me.

DrakeZ07

I'd like to remind everyone to be calm and courteous. Let the opposition make fools of themselves. All speaking slots have been filled. We have 6 speakers for tomorrow at the 2pm event.

Drake, I'm assuming you'll be going to the Fairness Coalition (pro-LGBT thing I was told) in the Rotunda. It is at noon or 1pm and I think it is by representative DuPlessis.... I was also told they are not gun friendly and would not be in support of gun rights but since you're going to be there I thought I'd do a decent thing and let you know about it if you had not already heard.

Everyone, thank you for coming along and if you need my cell phone pm me.

I'm not going to the fairness coalition thing, ***** ***. I don't support any LGBT organization that is anti-gun rights, or not gun friendly; will just be at the capitol for the OCDO counter MD(m)A grouping, after that I'm going back home for warmth, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrakeZ07

Also, I may or may not stay for the 2pm speaking thing in its entirety, I've been up since midnight styling and dying and doing my hair up all nice, to be as noticable and flamboyant as possible, though I doubt anyone will miss the guy with a pink fauxhawk and pink camo pants. :D

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Also, I may or may not stay for the 2pm speaking thing in its entirety, I've been up since midnight styling and dying and doing my hair up all nice, to be as noticable and flamboyant as possible, though I doubt anyone will miss the guy with a pink fauxhawk and pink camo pants. :D
Some people have different priorities - jus' sayin'.

Sir Diealotz

You come and I'll take your picture with one of them.

Really wish I could, I'm pretty sure I talked to you at a gun show in Lexington about 4-5 years ago. If I didn't have to attend this thing called "Work" then I would be more inclined to join you guys and hang out.

Looking forward to pictures and updates. Have fun guys and gals...

poetdante

Will post updates when I have a chance. Not from my phone haha. Event went well. Mommies are watching this and other forums and were there in force for the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Mommies are watching this and other forums ...

I wonder if they just ignore all the threads where guns save lives, and where guns are carried damn near everywhere, whether they see them or not, and there are no issues.

I wonder if they notice how many mothers carry firearms because they actually want to actively be able to protect their kids instead of using them as a political tool.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I wonder if they just ignore all the threads where guns save lives, and where guns are carried damn near everywhere, whether they see them or not, and there are no issues.

I wonder if they notice how many mothers carry firearms because they actually want to actively be able to protect their kids instead of using them as a political tool.

Some antis are ostrichs with their head stuck in the sand.

Others pick a more personal location.

poetdante

Thank you everyone for coming out and showing your support.

There were at least a dozen of us in attendance supporting this bill. We met with Rep. Moore who said the opposition had sent him a scathing email and had not contacted him since. They were out in force. I expected an actual rally or protest but they had about 20-30 folks in groups of threes going and crossing off various representatives that they met. I think I saw six different groups so 18 people or so, about how many I saw leaving as a group around 1:30.

I find that the leadership of Moms is paid to be evil, but the general members just don't know any better. They are polite and respectful even when faced with adversity. The leaders, well they "knew all about me and the forum" and slammed the door in my face. So hence I had to avoid being 100% forthcoming straight off the bat later on, but I was never dishonest.

I think with better organization and a more intimate means of communication we can be more effetive. We can do more such crashes when they split into groups, etc. PMs will work until we can work out a group. they want to be quiet and sneaky (their notifications stopped going out to me this morning and they as much said so) we can be clever.

Overall we had a lot of positive outcomes. Our 2pm rotunda meeting was a complete success. Here are the news stories

http://www.wdrb.com/story/31247624/supporters-of-two-ky-gun-bills-rally-in-frankfort
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEh6eKCvdA4

I am greatful for everyone's help and hope this trend of attracting more warm bodies keeps going. 3 at the Louisville Highlands, 7 at Convington, 12 in Frankfort. With more time and more people sharing the story and events at gun ranges, stores, etc we can get a lot of folks involved. Not EVERYONE works 9-5 and we can find more folks to call, email, etc. I had 30 folks sign my petition on a slow day in a one-hour window at a local range. Imagine what regular outings, more community involvement, and a solid effort will do. We had this much success with my bungling and mismanagement with only a year of experience. Imagine what happens when there is more of us.

Also notice the "downhill" nature of the opposition. Not only are their arguments getting weaker but their effect is too. The had a strong showing in January in Louisville with media coverage, a weak showing with a biased article in a non-print paper, and now this, resorting to bribing officials and proudly tweeting it.

https://twitter.com/MomsDemand

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
We all owe a big "Thank You" to both poetdante and BB62 for organizing this event, acting a communications officers and going toe to toe with the Moms. Also, "Thanks" to all of you that took the time from your busy day and showed up. Those that spoke were fantastic. We all should contact Rep. Moore and thank him or this bill and arranging this rally.
Thanks for the mention, but NO credit is due to me for organizing things - that's all to poetdante and others. Representative Moore is a real gem - a bird colonel veteran who speaks well and with deep conviction.

I had meaningful conversations with at least 20 representatives, and have plenty of follow-up work to do: some of which I will no doubt refer to you and poetdante. ;)

We met LOTS of great attendees at this event, and look forward to seeing them again.

poetdante

I made contact with about 15 now that I think about it. Wow, so many in just one day. Couldn't have done it without your help everyone!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I had a great time. The state troupers were so nonchalant about carrying firearms. Even the employees were imperturbable. One legislator said there are quite a few legislators that carry at the capital. Great time.

b0neZ

Oh, yeah. Anybody that pulls agun out in that building will get shot a thousand times. There are plenty of them that carry every day. Jim DeCasare (R-Bowling Green), the House Minority Whip, once told me that he taunts Mary Lou Mazian (a very outspoken anti gun representative) every time they get on an elevator by pulling his jacket up to expose his gun and shaking his ass at her.

I sometimes have trouble explaining how casual they are with guns. Newbies think there has to be some trouble. The troopers do this everyday and don't think anything about it. Today, when I first went in the building. My friend and I were walking around the building and just happened to meet Alison Grimes(Secretary of State) coming from the parking lot. She said, "Just come with me" and used her key card to open an entrance on the west end of the building. We went in with her and there weren't any metal detectors at that entrance. She just waved "good bye" and went her way. Then when we went over to the annex to meet with you and the others, we used the underground tunnel, so we didn't need to use the metal detectors, again. When I came back from lunch, the guard said, "weren't you just in here" and I said "yes" and he waved me around the metal detector. Then, when I finally left for the day I got about 10 ft. outside and realized that I had left my sign and briefcase at the rally and had to go back. He waved me by, again! I was never scanned all day. Of course, I was OC, so what was there to find? But my friend was CC and had forgotten my advice and brought a knife with him. He was never checked, either. You tell people from other states, or even from Ky. that have never been there, they don't believe you.
But but but how is everyone there not dead and the why is the building not in ruins???

Surely just by bringing such things into a place like that they would have lept from the confinement of their holsters and gone on a murderous rampage!

(Yes, that was all written in jest. Glad to know everyone had a good time.)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
But but but how is everyone there not dead and the why is the building not in ruins???

Surely just by bringing such things into a place like that they would have lept from the confinement of their holsters and gone on a murderous rampage!

(Yes, that was all written in jest. Glad to know everyone had a good time.)

Whew!

There for a minute I thought you had your Everytown For Gun Safety card stamped. :p