• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads - OC reports

hafnhaf

Unicorn sighted at Sam's Club on Jefferson Ave on Friday afternoon. Nobody else seemed to care at all. Just the way it should be...

OCed all over Williamsburg this weekend. Received a couple of nice comments. No nasty looks, several head nods/smiles.

HAFNHAF

Self-preservation is an instinct. Self-defense is a Right!

mpguy

03//06/16. Took the kids to Sweet Frog in Suffolk for doing good in School. A lady confronted me outside, and thank'ed me for carrying. During our conversation she asked various question, that I answered. I also pointed her here, and to VCDL's website. Nothing has changed as far as carry here in Suffolk. Usual places. Food Lion, Wally World, Various Gas stations, local city park, and the lot.

2a4all

Judge chided by Vet for losing control of his dog

I had to stop by my vet's today to pick up some meds for my dog. While waiting in the lobby, another client exited the exam room led by his small dog at the end of a very long leash with an oversized collar attached. As he tried to rein in the dog, the dog, who had already reached the lobby, slipped out of its collar. As I was standing between the dog and the door, I reached down and restrained the dog while the owner slipped the collar back over its head, telling the dog "He's got you now.".

Whereupon the veterinarian owner remarked "I hope you can maintain better control of your courtroom than you do of your dog." The judge replied "I have a big burly bailiff to help me in court." He then proceeded to tell a short anecdote about the stupidity of an individual who had appeared before him on a bank robbery charge. "He wrote his robbery note on one of his deposit slips."

The judge, it turns out, is a Circuit Court Jurist in Newport News who lives just down the block from me. I guess it's a good thing I was OCing, as this judge doesn't like to sign CHPs.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--

The judge, it turns out, is a Circuit Court Jurist in Newport News who lives just down the block from me. I guess it's a good thing I was OCing, as this judge doesn't like to sign CHPs.
He is more elite?

There is a cure for that = writ of mandamus.

2a4all

I had to stop by my vet's today to pick up some meds for my dog. While waiting in the lobby, another client exited the exam room led by his small dog at the end of a very long leash with an oversized collar attached. As he tried to rein in the dog, the dog, who had already reached the lobby, slipped out of its collar. As I was standing between the dog and the door, I reached down and restrained the dog while the owner slipped the collar back over its head, telling the dog "He's got you now.".

Whereupon the veterinarian owner remarked "I hope you can maintain better control of your courtroom than you do of your dog." The judge replied "I have a big burly bailiff to help me in court." He then proceeded to tell a short anecdote about the stupidity of an individual who had appeared before him on a bank robbery charge. "He wrote his robbery note on one of his deposit slips."

He is more elite?

There is a cure for that = writ of mandamus.

I didn't say he refused to sign CHPs, only that he doesn't like to. The other circuit court judges handle this among themselves.
I was wondering if there was any mention to his being armed??

Could the judge be one of those who think hiding their gun is wrong
He wasn't armed.

Last edited by a moderator:

papa bear

I didn't say he refused to sign CHPs, only that he doesn't like to. The other circuit court judges handle this among themselves.

He wasn't armed.

Question still applies

And the poster wasn't armed? Thought they would have been since the thread was of that title

Thundar

Open carried all over Hampton Roads with no issues. There was a squeamish receptionist at AAA off of Mercury Blvd in Hampton, but she was well behaved. At Peninsula Town Center the security guards did not like the Libertarian Ballot Petition I was circulating, but said nothing about the Sig 229 on my hip. The security guards first tried to tell me that I could not circulate a petition at PTC. I told them that PTC was a municipal authority and that Hampton did not have any rule or law prohibiting ballot access petitioning. They then decided that I was a peddler and asked for my license. Luckily I had my pocket constitution in my pocket (The 2nd A is highlighted and tabbed, just waiting for a cop to ask for my open carry permit) and turned to the 1st A. They shook their heads and left, didn't even sign the petition.

wrearick

Open Carried this weekend at the Earth Day activities at Mount Trashmore in Va Beach. People much more interested in my little dogs than what was on my hip. I am pretty sure the guy at the commonwealth attorney's booth noticed but when he heard I went to the naval academy with the brother of the Virginia beach's commonwealth attorney he reluctantly concluded I probably wasn't a bad guy. Also visited about 6 or 7 yard sales in the area.

On Sunday the missus and I checked out the new Fresh Market at Pembroke in Virginia Beach. No posting of any kind and no one said a word about my OC's firearm.

Stay safe.

wrearick

Oc'd down at the ocean front yesterday afternoon. Summer is a coming and I don't care how small your piece is, there are some outfits down there you could not possibly CC in without it printing in a very obvious manner.

OC'd this morning while dropping the wife at Norfolk International Airport. let her out in front of the sky cab stand, got her bag for her from the trunk. No folks running and screaming. No problems at all.

wrearick

Walked the dogs around the lake at mount Trashmore today. When talking with one set of folks, after I told them the names of the dogs, one guy asked me what I called my sidearm. I told him 'friend". Thought for about 2 seconds and explained further that I don't have a name for my firearm and have resisted giving it one since it is already a struggle to get people to realize the side arm is an inanimate object, not able to be good or evil, act on it's own or have a name. He quickly agreed and said it is the people who are good or evil and guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Also OC'd at the Va Beach Central Library to day doing returns and picking up items on hold. Also saw a car in my travels with a big orange "Guns Save Lives" stickers on the back. Couldn't get a good look at the driver, but wished them well anyway. ALso visited chic-fil-a and a wawa today. as usual, no issues.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Va_Nemo

Inside City Hall or just around it? If inside did not chickenleavings AG/Gov prohibit it.

Gov/AG doesn't control local government buildings, and state laws prevents local government from prohibiting it.
McAwful would if he could, but he can't.

I regularly OC in both Richmond City Hall and Chesterfield County administrative offices.

Last edited:

Thundar

Inside City Hall or just around it? If inside did not chickenleavings AG/Gov prohibit it.

Nemo

Inside of course. To the Commissioner of the Revenue and stopped in the election office, so for Newport News that is the big side entrance and a trip through the main lobby and into the elevators, right past the police officer sitting at a booth in the lobby. No reaction from Newport News Finest.

Nemo, how could McAwful or the Crappy Attorney General prohibit my exercise of my rights on city property?

Live Free or Die,
Thundar

ron73440

I will be moving to Chesapeake next month.

I always OC in NC and it looks like it's very similar in VA, but I'll be able to carry in bars and restaurants where they sell alcohol.

Is there anything I need to be worried about up there?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I will be moving to Chesapeake next month.

I always OC in NC and it looks like it's very similar in VA, but I'll be able to carry in bars and restaurants where they sell alcohol.

Is there anything I need to be worried about up there
Nothing spectacular - our governator has decreed that all state agencies are GFZ, but there is no penalty except to be told to leave....then trespassing.

Join VCDL and get involved.

Welcome to Virginia.

Last edited: