• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why is the Second Amendment worded that way?

mikeyb

Since governments always tend to grow in size and power, and since grievous oppression can only happen when the people are effectively disarmed, it is clear that "a well regulated” (trained) “militia," consisting of the common people who are well armed, while "being necessary to" maintain "the security of" freedom from government oppression in "a free state," it must follow that "the right of" the free "people to keep and bear arms" to resist government oppression, "shall not be infringed."

Clearly someone has horribly wrong information and inexcusable assumptions.

Well-regulated meant supplied. I remember reading a clip of the militia handbook (posted/linked on OCDO, I think, long ago) that outlined the requirements to serve in the militia. One such requirement was they brought their own firearms.

That means, at the basic level- and, in my opinion, completely immune to argument- is that regardless of militia action/involvement, we (citizens) are to have the necessary supplies (firearms) to possibly serve in the militia.

Fallschirjmäger

Why? Because of the time period that it was written in, many people still counted Germanic ancestry and sentence structure can vary between cultures. See Wikipedia

I, being of sound mind and body, do hereby bequeath....
vs
Being of sound mind and body, I do hereby bequeath....

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Well,,,

It may have meant that among other things, but it certainly didn't mean that solely.

The things I've read have it meaning "properly operating".

some thing I have read meant,,,
all you men folk,, bring your guns and balls and powder with you to church on every Sunday,
then after the service, we all will all go out back and practice target shooting,
and maybe marching and preparing for ... whatever....

Well Regulated....

hadji

Citations corrected

My understanding of how to cite indirect quotes was in error.
solus has provided me with documentation of the correct form.

The OP has been fixed.
I hope.
hadji

countryclubjoe

Something I have been pondering for a while, and decided to do some research on the topic.
I thought that I would share my current understanding:

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed." United States Constitution, Amendment 2.

The wording of the Second Amendment, to my ears, is unusual in its form.
To understand the intent of the Second Amendment, it is profitable to follow its formation from the beginning.

One way to do that is to examine the proposed wording of the Second Amendment from the individual states, before the Second Amendment was adopted.

From Massachusetts Minority, February 6, 1788
"That the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience: or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms". Massachusetts Convention, pp. 86-87(see below: CBR, pg 181)

From New Hampshire, June 21, 1788
Congress shall never disarm any Citizen unless such as are or have been in Actual Rebellion. State Ratifications, Record Group 11, General Records of the United States Government, Nation Archives. (see below: CBR, pg 181)

From New York, July 26, 1788
That the People have a right to keep and bear Arms; that a well regulated Militia, including the body of the People capable of bearing Arms, is the proper, natural and safe defense of a free State. State Ratifications, RG 11, DNA. (see below: CBR, pg 181)

From North Carolina, August 1, 1788
That the people have a right to keep and bear arms; that a well regulated militia composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural and safe defense of a free state. State Ratifications, RG 11, DNA. (see below: CBR, pg 182)

Taking into consideration the proposals from the various states, the wording, as first proposed by Madison in the House, on June 8, 1789, was:
"The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed, and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country: but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms, shall be compelled to render military service in person." Congressional Register, June 8, 1789, vol. 1, p. 427
This version was also reported contemporaneously by the Daily Advertiser, June 12, 1789, p. 2, col. 1. and by the New York Daily Gazette, June 13, 1789, p. 574, col. 3.(see below: CBR, pg 169)

During subsequent discussions, a motion was made by Burke, in the House, on August 17, 1789. Mr. Burke proposed to add to the above clause, an amendment to the following effect:
"A standing army of regular troops in time of peace, is dangerous to public liberty, and such shall not be raised or kept up in time of peace but from necessity, and for the security of the people, nor then without the consent of two-thirds of the members present of both houses, and in all cases the military shall be subordinate to the civil authority."
Congressional Register, August 17, 1789, vol. 2, p. 222. (see below: CBR, pg 172)

This motion was also recorded contemporaneously in the Daily Advertiser, August 18, 1789, p. 2, col. 4 and the New York Daily Gazette, August 19, 1789, p. 802, col. 3 and the Gazette of the U.S., August 22, 1789, p. 249. col. 3. (Ibid)

The above wording, or very similar, regarding "a standing army...is dangerous to public liberty" came up again during discussion in the Senate on September 4, 1789, again recorded contemporaneously by several sources. Several states incorporated the wording of both clauses in their constitutions.
(CBR: All of the above quotes, as noted by double indentation, are cited in The Complete Bill of Rights, 1997, Congan)

In the times before the establishment of the United States, various governments and kingdoms maintained standing armies. Those armies were to assist in the security of the state, but were also occasionally used to oppress the citizenry of the state. Indeed, this was part of the genesis of the Magna Carta.

Being aware of the foregoing, the founding fathers realized
“that the only security against the tyranny of the government lies in forcible resistance to the execution of the injustice; because the injustice will certainly be executed, unless it be forcibly resisted.”
“Since, then, this forcible resistance to the injustice of the government is the only possible means of preserving liberty, it is indispensable to all legal liberty that this resistance should be legalized.” Lysander Spooner, An Essay on Trial by Jury, Juries Judges of the Justice of Laws, Chapter 1, Section 2, ¶ 19-20. (circa 1848)

This right of resistance had to be recognized
“by the constitution of the United States, as a strictly legal and constitutional right, enforced by the provision that “the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” This constitutional security for “the right to keep and bear arms,” implies the right to use them – as much as a constitutional security for the right to buy and keep food would have implied the right to eat it. The constitution, therefore, takes it for granted that the people will judge of the conduct of the government, and that, as they have the right, they will also have the sense, to use arms, whenever the necessity of the case justifies it.” Ibid.

“Many of these bills of rights also assert the natural right of all men to protect their property – that is, to protect it against the government. It would be unnecessary and silly indeed to assert, in a constitution of government, the natural right of individuals to protect their property against thieves and robbers.” Ibid.​

The foregoing notion was entered into the written record during the discussion of drafts and proposals on August 17, 1789, by Mr. Gerry, whose speech is quoted here in relevant part:
"What, sir, is the use of a militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty." Mr. Gerry goes on to state: "Whenever government mean to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise an army upon their ruins. This was actually done by Great Britain at the commencement of the late revolution. They used every means in their power to prevent the establishment of an effective militia to the eastward." Congressional Register, August 17, 1789, vol. 2, pp. 219-23. (see above: CBR, pg 186)

It was well understood that the common people, who were well armed, would be a deterrent against an oppressive government. In the terms of the day, the common people, well armed, were referred to as the 'militia'.
The militia was not the army, nor the National Guard, nor the police, nor any other branch or division of government.

Further, “well regulated” was a common phrase, meaning, in this context, ‘in good order’ or ‘properly disciplined’ and ‘well trained’. Random House College Dictionary (1990), Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Edition, 1989, The Federalist Papers, No. 29, respectively. Additionally, usage in context of contemporaneous writings carry the notion of ‘well trained’. Journals of the Continental Congress, 1774-1789, December 13, 1777.

Considering the context of the militia clause, i.e. that ‘well regulated’ refers to a group of well armed common people for the purposes of resisting the grievous oppression of government, it doesn’t make much sense to have that same group of people be under the burden of numerous laws, rules and regulations from that oppressive government.

In the case that armed resistance was required against an oppressive government, the milita must be well armed, disciplined enough to respond to the call to arms, and trained enough to mount an effective resistance.

Let us set these thoughts aside briefly, to examine the actions of more modern governments:

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated' people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century: 56 million. Now you understand why, in the words of Justice Joseph Story (appointed to the Supreme Court by James Madison), "The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered as the palladium of the liberties of a republic; since it offers a strong moral check against the usurpation and arbitrary power of rulers; and will generally, even if these are successful in the first instance, enable the people to resist and triumph over them."
The above quote, as noted by double indentation, is from: The Patriot Post, Gun Control History

These are sobering thoughts.

So, with the above notes as background, let's amplify the wording of the Second Amendment drastically, and taking great liberties, include the foregoing thoughts embodied in that cryptic text:

Since governments always tend to grow in size and power, and since grievous oppression can only happen when the people are effectively disarmed, it is clear that "a well regulated” (trained) “militia," consisting of the common people who are well armed, while "being necessary to" maintain "the security of" freedom from government oppression in "a free state," it must follow that "the right of" the free "people to keep and bear arms" to resist government oppression, "shall not be infringed."

Hi Folks

Lets look at "militia"..
. A military force that is raised from the civil population to supplement regular army in an emergency.
. A milita force that engages in rebel or terrorist activities, typically in opposition to a regular army.
. All able-bodied civilians eligible by law for military service...

In heller the court opined that the term "militia" equated to the federally organized militia and the citizens organized militia...

What is a federally organized militia? What is a citizens organized militia? -- I clearly have no idea what either militia is or where they are operating...

The term " militia" is in my opinion a degrading ambiguous term, therefore I purpose we remove the word militia from the 2nd A and replace it with.

" A well- regulated body of civilians necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed..

Civilian--- One not on active duty in a military, police or fire- fighting forced...2- OUTSIDER

Do militias exist today? I know of no one that belongs to a so call militia..

I purchase and train with my weapons not to go to war with our government or any of its agents, I train to protect myself and my property and my love ones from the bad guys, if bad guys happen to be an agent of the government then so be it, my problem.

If we were to count all the LEOS from our three biggest states, chances are they out number the entire British Army from the revolutionary period.. Just LEOS, not counting our military personal. Therefore no regulated "militia" in our great country is needed. We reside in a country where we have the RKBA and protect what we hold dear, many other folks on these planet cannot make the same claims...

OP, A good topic for debate and thought, thank you!

My .02

Regards
CCJ

hadji

Hi Folks

Lets look at "militia"..
. A military force that is raised from the civil population to supplement regular army in an emergency.
. A milita force that engages in rebel or terrorist activities, typically in opposition to a regular army.
. All able-bodied civilians eligible by law for military service...

cites?
hadji

B

Bikenut

Yes... let us look at what the "militia" is:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOD...011-title10-subtitleA-partI-chap13-sec311.htm

10 U.S.C.
United States Code, 2011 Edition
Title 10 - ARMED FORCES
Subtitle A - General Military Law
PART I - ORGANIZATION AND GENERAL MILITARY POWERS
CHAPTER 13 - THE MILITIA
Sec. 311 - Militia: composition and classes
From the U.S. Government Printing Office, www.gpo.gov

§311. Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(b) The classes of the militia are—
(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
--Bold added by me for emphasis--

If a person is a citizen, or who has declared to have the intention to become a citizen, between the ages of 17 and 45 then they are members of the militia.

And that definition isn't from any dictionary but is from U. S. Code.

solus

Yes... let us look at what the "militia" is:

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCOD...011-title10-subtitleA-partI-chap13-sec311.htm

10 U.S.C.
United States Code, 2011 Edition
Title 10 - ARMED FORCES
Subtitle A - General Military Law
PART I - ORGANIZATION AND GENERAL MILITARY POWERS
CHAPTER 13 - THE MILITIA
Sec. 311 - Militia: composition and classes
From the U.S. Government Printing Office, www.gpo.gov

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.

(1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
--Bold added by me for emphasis--

If a person is a citizen, or who has declared to have the intention to become a citizen, between the ages of 17 and 45 then they are members of the militia.

And that definition isn't from any dictionary but is from U. S. Code.

yes bikenut, but this definition was not available to our founding fathers in the mid-1700s especially since females were not recognized nor was the statement about 'made a declaration of intention to become' (AKA Capt KAHN who wasn't made a citizen until after his death or the other 69K green card holders currently serving!!)

grylnsmn

yes bikenut, but this definition was not available to our founding fathers in the mid-1700s especially since females were not recognized nor was the statement about 'made a declaration of intention to become' (AKA Capt KAHN who wasn't made a citizen until after his death or the other 69K green card holders currently serving!!)
You might try doing a little bit of historical research for yourself. Here's a brief history of the legal definitions of the Militia in federal law.

The Second Militia Act of 1792 (passed May 8, 1792, 6 days after the First Militia Act of 1792) was the first federal law defining the Militia in legal terms:
Section 1. Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, That each and every free able-bodied white male citizen of the respective states, resident therein, who is or shall be of the age of eighteen years, and under the age of forty-five years (except as is herein after excepted) shall severally and respectively be enrolled in the militia by the captain or commanding officer of the company, within whose bounds such citizen shall reside, and that within twelve months after the passing of this act. And it shall at all times hereafter be the duty of every such captain or commanding officer of a company to enrol every such citizen, as aforesaid, and also those who shall, from time to time, arrive at the age of eighteen years, or being of the age of eighteen years and under the age of forty-five years (except as before excepted) shall come to reside within his bounds; and shall without delay notify such citizen of the said enrolment, by a proper non-commissioned officer of the company, by whom such notice may be proved. That every citizen so enrolled and notified, shall, within six months thereafter,How to be armed and accoutred. provide himself with a good musket or firelock, a sufficient bayonet and belt, two spare flints, and a knapsack, a pouch with a box therein to contain not less than twenty-four cartridges, suited to the bore of his musket or firelock, each cartridge to contain a proper quantity of powder and ball: or with a good rifle, knapsack, shot-pouch and powder-horn, twenty balls suited to the bore of his rifle, and a quarter of a pound of powder; and shall appear, so armed, accoutred and provided, when called out to exercise, or into service, except, that when called out on company days to exercise only, he may appear without a knapsack. 1803, ch. 15.That the commissioned officers shall severally be armed with a sword or hanger and espontoon, and that from and after five years from the passing of this act, all muskets for arming the militia as herein required, shall be of bores sufficient for balls of the eighteenth part of a pound. And every citizen so enrolled, and providing himself with the arms, ammunition and accoutrements required as aforesaid, shall hold the same exempted from all suits, distresses, executions or sales, for debt or for the payment of taxes.
This definition of the Militia was expanded in the Militia Act of 1862 (passed July 17, 1862) to include "persons of African descent" (see Section 12).

It was amended again in the Militia Act of 1903 (passed January 21, 1903), which established the National Guard and divided the Militia into the classes of Organized and Unorganized. That definition was later codified in 1956, when they reorganized the US Code, as 10 USC 311, and in 1958 was expanded to include female commissioned officers of the National Guard. The current form of 10 USC 311 was passed in 1993 and expanded the definition even further to include all female members of the National Guard.

Last edited:

solus

You might try doing a little bit of historical research for yourself. Here's a brief history of the legal definitions of the Militia in federal law.

The Second Militia Act of 1792 (passed May 8, 1792, 6 days after the First Militia Act of 1792) was the first federal law defining the Militia in legal terms:This definition of the Militia was expanded in the Militia Act of 1862 (passed July 17, 1862) to include "persons of African descent" (see Section 12).

It was amended again in the Militia Act of 1903 (passed January 21, 1903), which established the National Guard and divided the Militia into the classes of Organized and Unorganized. That definition was later codified in 1956, when they reorganized the US Code, as 10 USC 311, and in 1958 was expanded to include female commissioned officers of the National Guard. The current form of 10 USC 311 was passed in 1993 and expanded the definition even further to include all female members of the National Guard.

let me see grylnsmn, how did you word it...oh ya, quote: You might try doing a little bit of historical research for yourself! unquote

Bikenut posted the 21st century USC definition of militia, which, to jog your memory, states ALL Citizens, male, female, ethnicities PLUS those green card holders of age who the Armed Forces has a skill they need!

my comment stated, that is not what the founding fathers in the mid-1700 stated.

thank you, but in the 'SECOND' Militia Act of 1792 which stated...oh lookeeee, WHITE MALES only! No females, no ethnicities, no green card holders as our 21st definition includes.

now i am so glad you so proudly pointed out section 12 in the Militia Act 1862, but seems your research focused on strictly one term..'persons of African Descent' then skipped down through section 12 picking out of context only those words you wish that prove your point...

thorough research you would have provided the full text of section 12, quote:

SEC. 12. And be it further enacted, That the President be, and he is hereby, authorized to receive into the service of the United States, for employ persons the purpose of constructing intrenchments, or performing camp service, or any other labor, or any military or naval service for which they may be found competent, persons of African descent, and such persons shall be enrolled and organized under such regulations, not inconsistent with the Constitution and laws, as the President may prescribe . unquote (your own cite.)

yes sir Grylnsmn...need those of African descent male bodies for constructing intrenchments, performing camp service, other labor...cuz we unionists have a WAR of the States to fight!! oh ya, if they are found competent maybe military/naval service...

bottom line, to our founding fathers, as i stated and documented militia meant white folk being conscripted into the state's militia.

ipse

added: uh who do you believe comprised the congress ~ hint...majority were the founding fathers...

Last edited:

grylnsmn

Bikenut posted the 21st century USC definition of militia, which, to jog your memory, states ALL Citizens, male, female, ethnicities PLUS those green card holders of age who the Armed Forces has a skill they need!
You might try reading what he actually posted, then. From 10 USC 311, as quoted by Bikenut:

It specifically does not say "ALL Citizens, male, female, ethinicities PLUS those green card holders of age who the Armed Forces has a skill they need". It specifies all males between 17 and 45 who are citizens or who have declared the intention to become a citizen (which could include more than Green Card holders, in some cases), and all female citizens who are members of hte National Guard. Note that it doesn't say all female citizens, nor does it say anything about what skills a potential member of the militia might have. Following a strict interpretation of the text, it doesn't even include female members of the National Guard who have declared an intent to become citizens of the US.

my comment stated, that is not what the founding fathers in the mid-1700 stated.

thank you, but in the 'SECOND' Militia Act of 1792 which stated...oh lookeeee, WHITE MALES only! No females, no ethnicities, no green card holders as our 21st definition includes.

bottom line, to our founding fathers, as i stated and documented militia meant white folk being conscripted into the state's militia.
Except you are neglecting a key point. Clearly, the Founding Fathers did not intend to define "Militia" in the Constitution, instead leaving it to legislation. (Had they intended to define it in the Constitution, they could easily have incorporated it into the Second Amendment or the original document itself.) They had no problem defining the term in 1792 on the basis of Congress's powers over the Militia in Article I Section 8:
To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;
As such, there is no requirement for the current definition to be available to the Founding Fathers. They enacted their definition in 1792 by the authority that they granted to Congress, and it has since been properly modified by Congress under that same authority.

EDIT: Also, your emphasis on my pointing to the "'SECOND' Militia Act of 1792" shows more historical ignorance. The First Militia Act of 1792 did not define who was in the Militia, but it set forward the procedures for the President to call them to duty, and was passed only 6 days before the Second Militia Act of 1792.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

Militia Clause--- (1918) One of two clauses of the U.S. Constitution giving congress the power to call forth,arm, and maintain a , military force to enforce compliance with its laws, suppress insurrections, and repel invasions. U.S. Constitution article I section 8, cos 15 and 16 .

Blacks law 9th page 1083...

So the government is controlling the so-called militia, I doubt said militia will turn its arms on its master( the oppressive government)

The concept of a "militia" minus any government authority in the 21st century is null and void.. It simply does not exist.

My .02

Regards
CCJ

countryclubjoe

The justices look to the history of the time of framing and to intervening history of interpretation. But the ultimate question must be, what do the words of the text mean in OUR time.. Justices read the Constitution in the only way that they can: as 21st century Americans...

In todays America the " Bill of Rights" would not get through Congress today, hell It wouldn't even get out of committee...

My .02

CCJ

solus

The justices look to the history of the time of framing and to intervening history of interpretation. But the ultimate question must be, what do the words of the text mean in OUR time.. Justices read the Constitution in the only way that they can: as 21st century Americans...

In todays America the " Bill of Rights" would not get through Congress today, hell It wouldn't even get out of committee...

My .02

CCJ

darn CCJ, we were lucky to get newt grinch (threw his butt out for misconduct) or the weeping arch angel banal, er, uh, or however you spell his bloody name, out of congress...

ipse

solus

You might try reading what he actually posted, then. From 10 USC 311, as quoted by Bikenut:It specifically does not say "ALL Citizens, male, female, ethinicities PLUS those green card holders of age who the Armed Forces has a skill they need". It specifies all males between 17 and 45 who are citizens or who have declared the intention to become a citizen (which could include more than Green Card holders, in some cases), and all female citizens who are members of hte National Guard. Note that it doesn't say all female citizens, nor does it say anything about what skills a potential member of the militia might have. Following a strict interpretation of the text, it doesn't even include female members of the National Guard who have declared an intent to become citizens of the US.

Except you are neglecting a key point. Clearly, the Founding Fathers did not intend to define "Militia" in the Constitution, instead leaving it to legislation. (Had they intended to define it in the Constitution, they could easily have incorporated it into the Second Amendment or the original document itself.) They had no problem defining the term in 1792 on the basis of Congress's powers over the Militia in Article I Section 8:As such, there is no requirement for the current definition to be available to the Founding Fathers. They enacted their definition in 1792 by the authority that they granted to Congress, and it has since been properly modified by Congress under that same authority.

EDIT: Also, your emphasis on my pointing to the "'SECOND' Militia Act of 1792" shows more historical ignorance. The First Militia Act of 1792 did not define who was in the Militia, but it set forward the procedures for the President to call them to duty, and was passed only 6 days before the Second Militia Act of 1792.

let's split some hairs here shall we...
as you have regurgitated the USC once again...
1. all males, hummm... under the 14th that is inclusive of all males, regardless of ethnicity who are US citizens!!!
2. intentions to become citizens statement ~ here ya go, research at its finest: quote Generally, if a person is not a U.S. citizen, they need to be a green card holder, i.e., a lawful permanent resident, to join the military. unquote. http://stories.avvo.com/rights/immi...-us-military-8-rules-non-citizen-service.html
3. Females ~ already covered...see # 2 immediately above!!

finally...civics 101:
A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. On December 15, 1791, the Bill of Rights (the first ten amendments to the Constitution)

finally, the first militia act was consummated on the 2nd of may and they changed their mind when congress reconvened and SIX days later on the 8th of May pushed the second act with provided for conscription of white males. the first was to cover their butts over, quote: There was a widespread fear that the Western Confederacy of American Indians would exploit their victory during the recess of Congress. unquote. previously cited in first post!

ipse

Last edited: