• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gold Carry State

rotorhead

That article was in November, and where are we know? We have the head of the GRNC telling us it is not possible, and still trying to sell us on privilege cards, just this month.

This IS November 15th, wolf. Is that such a long time ago? lol.

No, he told you it wasn't possible under the then political environment, and then went on to explain in detail what happened when he tried anyway. Then, he went on to show what they have been doing since that time to help create a better political climate out there so they can then attempt later on. Finally, he told you that, with the newest elections over, it may be possible to go for broke and ask for everything that we want- even though other circumstances may still prevent an all out repeal of most of the laws in place.

This whole discussion would actually have some merit if you would stop with the ridiculous conclusions you come to and be just a little honest with them. Until then, you'll remain sitting on the sidelines, holding your breath and pouting about every ill in the world of gun ownership. Put your big boy pants on and at least try to see some of this objectively...please?

Cricketdad, I hadn't seen that yet. Interesting. I know it'll be near impossible for every stupid law to be turned around in NC in one swoop, but are there certain ones that will be targeted immediately?

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

No, he told you it wasn't possible under the then political environment, and then went on to explain in detail what happened when he tried anyway. Then, he went on to show what they have been doing since that time to help create a better political climate out there so they can then attempt later on. Finally, he told you that, with the newest elections over, it may be possible to go for broke and ask for everything that we want- even though other circumstances may still prevent an all out repeal of most of the laws in place.

This whole discussion would actually have some merit if you would stop with the ridiculous conclusions you come to and be just a little honest with them. Until then, you'll remain sitting on the sidelines, holding your breath and pouting about every ill in the world of gun ownership. Put your big boy pants on and at least try to see some of this objectively...please?

Cricketdad, I hadn't seen that yet. Interesting. I know it'll be near impossible for every stupid law to be turned around in NC in one swoop, but are there certain ones that will be targeted immediately?

Nothing he said indicated he supported constitutional carry, he made it clear that only privilege carry were sane and safe. It has only been a few days ago he made these comments.

Let me make this clear again~there is no compelling others or I to support him, or GRNC. You may not like it, but that is tuff, want my support~earn it, which you certainly are not.

I did make a mistake in thinking the article was from last year. Does not change how Paul has acted or how his supporters have acted. You can't honestly think you will get support by being pushy.

BTW I am far from sitting on the sidelines, if you think for one minute that I have not communicated the crapp to representatives that has been posted you are foolish. Paul and you need to get over yourselves. He has no power, you have no power, give me a break with faux tough guy routine.

Last edited:

rotorhead

Nothing he said indicated he supported constitutional carry, he made it clear that only privilege carry were sane and safe. It has only been a few days ago he made these comments.

Let me make this clear again~there is no compelling others or I to support him, or GRNC. You may not like it, but that is tuff, want my support~earn it, which you certainly are not.

I did make a mistake in thinking the article was from last year. Does not change how Paul has acted or how his supporters have acted. You can't honestly think you will get support by being pushy.

BTW I am far from sitting on the sidelines, if you think for one minute that I have not communicated the crapp to representatives that has been posted you are foolish. Paul and you need to get over yourselves. He has no power, you have no power, give me a break with faux tough guy routine.

No tough guy here, that's for sure. I'm the biggest wuss in the world. I just don't like it when people clearly either cannot comprehend what's given to them, or intentionally twist words around to make them appear to support their cause.

Honesty, wolf, that's all I'm looking for. Show some, and I'll let it be- I promise.

Also, I'm not compelling anyone to join anything. Frankly, GRNC is probably better off without members who have little by way of comprehension skills. Those are needed when going out to volunteer for events. Join them or not, it makes no difference to me. Just be honest about them, that's all. Stop with the "elitist, privileged" crap. It's not true and a severe breach of personal conduct on your part.

I'll give you a little background on why I feel this way.

A year or two back, I was pretty loud about permits and my distaste of them on any level. In many ways, I had (and still hold btw) the same exact views as you do about them. I don't think it's right to carry these stupid archaic laws around which were designed originally to prevent colored people from owning guns. Today, it's morphed from that to controlling anyone a sheriff might decide to dick over. That kind of thing doesn't sit well with me.

Also, I held, and still hold, the opinion that the CHP has become more than just a means to carry concealed in the state (it's original intent) and has turned into some sort of quasi-qualification to prove that a person is worthy of not only owning a gun, but carrying one in public. I'm not all about that idea either. But, it's the system we have right now, and one that needs to be addressed. Now that GRNC has helped to shape the political spectrum within our legislative landscape (along with the hard work of thousands of unaffiliated residents, as well), it may be that the time is right to move forward with such an agenda.

So, we hold many of the same ideals, I'm just more honest about my assessment of this particular group than you are, that's all. This is mainly because when I was spouting off all of this stuff on forums, I actually took the time to contact Mr Valone personally through email and get his take on things.

I don't share personal conversations on an open forum, but in summary, I can say a few things about the conversation. Firstly, he answered every question I had asked. I didn't like every single answer and some of the answers weren't to my personal satisfaction, but each answer was given respectfully and in total. Why is this? Because I took the 3 minutes to ask him the questions in a mutually respectful manner. I didn't sit around on forums and nail the guy for months (or in some cases, well over a year) and then expect sweet little kisses in a response. No, I acted like a man instead.

Secondly, after talking with him, I realized that I didn't know a damn thing about how things actually worked in Raleigh when it came to passing unpopular legislation in a political environment that was hostile to gun rights, even on the Republican side. You see, I had thought that "Republican" meant that they were on our side. Silly me, right? Mr Valone explained in detail the process and gave real life examples of how some of the bills they tried to pass ended up. I then took that info and cross-referenced it with public records. Lo and behold, what did I find? Yeah, they matched what he was saying.

Thirdly, he gave me a challenge- one that I was free to accept or deny. The challenge was to volunteer with them just once to see some of the things that go on out there and then match up what I hear on internet forums with what I actually saw. Any guesses on how that turned out? I can't claim any kind of magical, mystical revelations, but what I was seeing was just a little more clearer, and it didn't match up at all with what was being said on internet gun forums. That's when I learned not to believe so much from people who were talking out of their asses, and believe more of what I saw actually unfolding in terms of how legislation moves around in the House and the Senate, and then how it makes it to the Governor's desk.

So, it's not me who will compel you to join any group that you feel is not fighting for you in a way that you desire it to. If GRNC isn't cutting it for you, then there is no reason to join them. But here's the only thing I WILL ask of you: Stop talking out of your ass and at least be honest in your arguments, and watch how things actually work out there. If you've ever drafted a bill and then found a willing politician to introduce that legislation onto the floor of our General Assembly, followed it daily using your own time off of your normal job, hounded your representatives and Senators daily with emails, calls, and personal visits, argued against the Senate and House leaders when they turned tail and ran away after promising you they would deliver, and been a significant part of civil trials which had an impact on every gun owner in the state, and did all of this using your own personal money with only hotel and travel expenses being reimbursed to you, then I'd be happy to sit down and talk with you about your ways of doing all this and hearing how you think your way is far superior to theirs.

If not, I'd rather just sit here and play another round of solitaire than listen to what you think should happen to make these laws change in a more effective manner because honestly, after reading your version of how to do it, it doesn't sound to me like you have the slightest clue.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
<snip>

Firstly, he answered every question I had asked. I didn't like every single answer and some of the answers weren't to my personal satisfaction, but each answer was given respectfully and in total. Why is this? Because I took the 3 minutes to ask him the questions in a mutually respectful manner. I didn't sit around on forums and nail the guy for months (or in some cases, well over a year) and then expect sweet little kisses in a response. No, I acted like a man instead.

Secondly, after talking with him, I realized that I didn't know a damn thing about how things actually worked in Raleigh when it came to passing unpopular legislation in a political environment that was hostile to gun rights, even on the Republican side. You see, I had thought that "Republican" meant that they were on our side. Silly me, right? Mr Valone explained in detail the process and gave real life examples of how some of the bills they tried to pass ended up. I then took that info and cross-referenced it with public records. Lo and behold, what did I find? Yeah, they matched what he was saying.

<snip>

I'm very glad you got that kind of response. My e-mails to him have not elicited the same respect.

So perhaps, now that you know GRNC better, you can tell me:

- Where can I find the charter?
- Where can I find the by-laws or other governing documents?
- Where can I find a list of the board of directors -- WHO runs the organization besides Paul Valone?

I'm not asking (nor have I in the past) for bank statements, only for basic information one needs to make a decision whether to join an organization.

WalkingWolf

If you want me to read something, cut it down to basics. I don't read books in threads on the internet. If I am going to do that I will read something I am interested in. I am not interested in GRNC.

To be blunt, we are talking about my support, possibly wabbits, not anybody else. Paul and you knew that from the beginning, yet both of you made complete fools out of yourself arguing about MY CHOICE, MY OPINION. It is up to the rest of the community to decide on the posts that Paul and you have so eloquently try to shove down my throat. Hopefully they can make a wise choice on the behavior that has been displayed. I am not asking for their support, but GRNC is. Good luck with that.

cricketdad

There is this little thing called a Non Disclose Agreement that prevents me from commenting. After the General Assembly goes back into session, be ready to act.

Last edited:

ncwabbit

you know doble, i am not sure which character to claim as a characterization of me...

but as has been pointed out, perhaps the attempt is seen as insulting to those making a discussion point...

just saying...

wabbit

NC-Heel

cricketdad

That's cool but here is my problem. I travel a lot for business and if N.C. adopted Constitutional Carry and did away with concealed permits that would suck for me. Reason we need National Constitutional Carry. What are your thoughts on this after we have worked for one of the best reciprocity with other states there is?

I would do like AK and AZ, leave the permit as is for those wanting reciprocity.

moonie

Remember having a sense of humor involves having fun or poking fun at others, not insulting, if everyone involved is not having fun you are a bully. I teach my children this. Bully's are not respected by anyone.

WalkingWolf

Remember having a sense of humor involves having fun or poking fun at others, not insulting, if everyone involved is not having fun you are a bully. I teach my children this. Bully's are not respected by anyone.

I appreciate that, and good for you and your children. IMO I hope you are also teaching them to stand up to bullies.

moonie

I appreciate that, and good for you and your children. IMO I hope you are also teaching them to stand up to bullies.

My sons were in trouble in school on occasion for standing up for others against bullies. One is now a U.S. Marine so yes, I think I'm doing it right.

WalkingWolf

My sons were in trouble in school on occasion for standing up for others against bullies. One is now a U.S. Marine so yes, I think I'm doing it right.

Well, standing up to bullies is one of those things Marines do so well. Congrats, and shake his hand for us.

ncwabbit

sounds like moonie you did good!! i hope your son is able to join the family and his loved ones for the upcoming holidays...

his service to our country is greatly appreciated...

wabbit

ps: do away with the permit system of each state and just carry...open or conceal. the bad guys do already!!

pps: wonder what the GRNC and like organizations would do since they only sell to the GAs what they believe the gun toting citizens need?

ppps: glad the NRA has an additional responsibility under its original charter to provide firearm educational activities, huh!!

Last edited: