• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Experiences

novaccw

imported post

Glad to see the forum is back up and running...I guess I will go first!!

This is just a random posting about some of my open-carry experiences (all of which have been positive). I have been open-carrying more and more lately because the weather has been getting warm (I have a VA and PA CCW). I was worried that open-carry would draw undue attention to myself and possibly cause businesses (who don't notice when I carry concealed) to post "no guns" signs. I was wrong about all of this.

The first time I ever open carried was at Mango Mike's in Alexandria about a month ago (great experience). Since then, I have open carried at the following places in Alexandria and the surrounding area: Giant (on Duke St), Rite Aid, a couple of gas stations, Comcast (Van Dorn), Blockbuster (on Duke), Fairfax police station (VCDL Meeting), and Fudrucker's (Anandale). No problems at all. Last Saturday I open carried at Costco in Pentagon City. I have to admit I was nervous about that one... it is practically in DC. Once again, no problems. I even had a guy come up to me and engage me in conversation about the rugby shirt that I was wearing.

I am a friendly person...I tend to be even more friendly when I am open carrying so that I project a positive image for my fellow firearms owners and carriers. VCDL and its members have given me a lot of my confidence when it comes to open carry and also the ability to defend my right if challenged. This forum has also been great for my confidence and overall understanding of VA's laws. Just want to say thanks to everybody who posts on here and who I have talked to at VCDL meetings! Let's get this forum cranked up like the old one was! Stay safe, all, and God Bless!

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hello, novaccw, just wanted to say HI! I'm glad it's back, too. I'm located somewhere around your "neck-of-the-woods", since I frequent all the same places:cool:. I recently joined VCDL and have my VA CCW, too. I've not open carried, because of the same concerns that you have had. I hope to start off at a VCDL meeting soon and progress from there. Keep in touch, here.

DoubleR

VAopencarry

imported post

I'm still a little self conscience OC'ing in some areas. Like last weekend at a rest stop on 95. I wanted to take off my jacket but didn't, too many out of towners, tourist, non-Virginians didn't want to freak anyone out. I was on my motorcycle, wearing a leather jacket. I could imagine some sheeple freakin out 'biker with gun'.:shock:

I think I am going to desginate one day a week and Open Carry everywhere I go that day. I pretty much carry 99% of the time where I legally can.

fka-mica(Chris)

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well, that is a good start. Kinda like, I'm going to learn/experience something new today:D. It's legal, it probably will not be even noticed, and exemplifies the qualities of a law abiding, pro-defense citizen of the Commonwealth. ENJOY and be safe!

VAopencarry

imported post

I'm a big believer in OC, however, since I got my CHP I rarely OC. So I am trying to make an extra effort to OC.

For the record. I did OC at WAWA in Fredericksburg later that day.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I know the feeling. I was out your way, yesterday. I went past the Sully PD station twice, just before all H$%^* broke loose. Picking up my new S&W 3913TSW at Blue Ridge. Lived here all my life, what a tragedy. I've seen all of the changes in this area. What more can I say.

VAopencarry

imported post

Coincidently, I went to Blue Ridge about 1.5 hours after all hell broke loose. I didn't know what was going on until the guys at Blue Ridge told me. I saw a police pick-up with lights and siren going, carrying barricades in the back and what looked like a mobile CP on Westfield above rt 28. Was getting a strange feeling..... Anyway,

OC'd at the Giant in Centreville on St. Germain(?) Nothing unusual to report.

novaccw

imported post

Just thought I would tell everybody...open carried for the first time in a bank yesterday...Chevy Chase in Alexandria (near Old Town). No funny looks, no questions...just friendly tellers. One asked me if I cared to open an account...(I was getting my loose change turned into cash!). Hope everybody is safe and well...God Bless!

VAopencarry

imported post

good deal.

OC'd a little today- 7-11 at Rt.28 and Residency(Manassas), next to Guns and Ammo Warehouse and G&A but I don't think that counts. :) no problems.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In the last year, I have taken to open carry in the Yorktown area. Have carried a compact 9mm in a OWB pancake holster at 4 o'clock. So far I have carried at 2-3 different gas stations, the local hardware store, Firestone Auto, Lowe's, Food Lion, Rite-Aid, Eckerd, Advance Auto, 7-11, Uno's, Tuscany, Wendy's, RockOla, and Hooter's. Only one comment so far...from an incredulous lady from Maryland, who I had to educate. No problems, really.

novaccw

imported post

Open carried at the Kingstowne Wal-Mart tonight. No problems. Had a nice conversation with the Indian guy in the sporting goods department. He mentioned that he used to work for the United Nations doing some kind of engineering... I didn't fill him in on my opinion of that particular organization. He was a nice guy and didn't seem at all uneasy about my sidearm. I did have a few stares on my way in and out of the store...but uneventful overall.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

somehow I am not surprised that a guy that used to be an engineer for the Un is now working as a retail clerk at a walmart.

TEX1N

imported post

ilbob wrote:
somehow I am not surprised that a guy that used to be an engineer for the Un is now working as a retail clerk at a walmart.
I could list a few people working for the UN who are barely qualified to work for wal-mart. ;)

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

OC'd at the Giant at Edsall Road and Van Dorn St in Alexandria. It was the first time there. No issues. I did hear the speaker systemannounce twice "Security, Section six". I figured I was a goner by that time, but nothing came of it. HadOC'd a couple of times in a small strip center down the street at the cleaners.