• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restaurant Carry 2

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I am curious. How many people do you encounter in your day to dayactivities who also OC? Forget uniformed LE and security personnel. I am just talking regular, normal, law abiding citizens.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I have seen other open carriers about 3 times over the years, outside of VCDL and gun shows of course. The first time in about 1991 at a comic book store in Arlington, once at a Townhall.com meetup in 2004 and a few weeks ago at Cosco in Chantilly. The conclusion I draw is that few of the good guys actually carry or a lot of people carry illegally (not open carrying in restaurants or CCW without permits. Overall I would say OC has grown alot, because it wasn't that long ago hardly anyone except Jim Snyder VP of VCDL OC'd at the meetings. At the last meeting almost everyone was open carrying even though I'm sure most have permits.

longwatch

imported post

5/29/06 OCW at Pan Am Restaurant in Fairfax. No problems.

5/30/06 OCW at Aldo's Italian Steakhouse in Fairfax. No problems.

5/31/06 OCW at Pan Am Restaurant in Fairfax. Two FCPD officers sat down in the next booth but I don't think they even noticed me. No problems.

coltcarrier

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Was out near Falls Church last night and checked out Idylwood Grill. It's not obvious as to location, but once you find it, it's a nice little place. Food and Service were great. I was there with my wife and 6wk old son and was OCing.

VAspringer

imported post

I am starting to notice that the small group of us that are posting gun friendly restaurants are visiting the same establishments many times over. I am guilty of the same thing myself :?. I suggest, that in an effort to promote open carry in Virginia, that we spread our wings a little and try some new places in an effort to expand our gun friendly restaurant list. I am planning to do just that this everning. Having dinner with friends tonight at a new location and plan to open carry. Will post result later.

Tricorn

imported post

06-03-06 OCed at The Log Cabin on Rte 1 in Stafford. Arrived early, had more people there than expected due to a HS graduation party having dinner. Steady stream of people coming in while we were there. Good crowd by the time we left. Other than 2 or 3 double-takes, no comments/issues/problems.

longwatch

imported post

VASpringer is right, there needs to be more trailblazing. I'm guilty of not doing it too. We also should seek out new contributors and anybody reading this should know this is a team effort and the more partisans we have open carrying and posting the more effective this effort will be. If you are reading this and wish to contribute, your posts will be more than welcome.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

6-3-06. Open carried at Bennigan's on Coliseum Dr. in Hampton. Don't know if anyone noticed. A non-event.

VAspringer

imported post

OC'd this evening at a new "Five Guys" restaurant in Lake Ridge / Woodbridge. Was very busy got a few looks....no comments or "double takes." This Five Guys is in a relatively new upscale shopping center on the Prince William Parkway...after eating we walked around the shopping area (outdoors) had ice cream in new shop...chatted with the new owners. They obviously noticed the S&W 357 but said nothing and did not appear distracted or concerned.Stoped at the Safeway (supermarket) to pick up bread and milk......still OC'ing....no problems...cashier noticed......no comments.

Now that warm weather has arrived I'm glad I've become comfortable OC'ing and not having to wear an outer garment to conceal. :cool:

I'm planning to OC in one new location every week.

VAopencarry

imported post

Excellent... One new place a week sounds like a good idea. I might try that, though I seem to go the same places all the time, eating or otherwise.

lprgcFrank

imported post

OC'd on 6-1 at Hama Sushi on Centreville in Reston. Kimber Ultra Carry .45 in Comp-Tac IWB. No issues in the restaurant - although I did get lots of stares from pedestrians as I waited for traffic to clear to get to my car.

longwatch

imported post

6/3/06 OCW at El Paso Restaurant in Arlington, crowded as usual on a Saturday night. Caught a person looking but no problems at all.

Swampbeast

imported post

6/3/06-- OC'ed at a McDonalds in Winchester (I know they don't serve booze but I don't have a permit VA honors) and was waited on by the manager who noticed but did not react to my oc. No problems/ comments/ stares.

6/1 and 6/2-- OC'ed at various fast food places and gas stations from Fairfax to Fredericksburg to Staunton. No problems or issues, just one stare. I really did love being in VA. I felt much more comfortable OCing there than back home.

VAspringer

imported post

OC'd at another new restaurant this morning. Dumfries Cafe at the intersection of Route 1 and Main Street in Dumfries, Va. Great Country breakfast and service. Rode motorcycles with a few friends ...stopped for breakfast. Was carrying concealed (under leather jacket) Walked in and ordered breakfast....no alchohol served at this place but took of the jacket while eating. Two local LEOs were having breakfast...(Dumfries finest) they obviously noticed the sidearm....no questions or comments...but they were very interested in talking about the Harleys.:D Got a few looks from other customers.....but no comments or problems.......