• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Only in Virginia

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I just had an experience that could only happen in a state like Virginia where armed citizens are the norm.

[line]
First, a little background. I do software consulting and my office is in my home. My kids are out of school for the summer, so my son was lounging in the living room being lazy and my daughter was down at the barn playing with one of the horses.

Suddenly, my daughter comes bursting into the house yelling "Daddy! Daddy! The sheriff is here!"

I was (of course) wearing my Glock 17 on my hip, and I just got up and walked out on the porch where I met a deputy coming up the steps.

He said hi and asked if I had called 911.

I looked confused for a few seconds and then it hit me. I invited him in and went to the living room where my youngest (18 months) was sitting quietly in front of the TV, PLAYING WITH THE PHONE!

He had a good laugh over that and called it in as a false alarm. We talked for a few minutes and then he headed off. Not a single word or a hint of nervousness about the gun in all this time.

Take THAT New York! :p

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Im not saying Va is the best gun state, but sometimes it sure feels like it. I think that feeling comes from the contrast with our neighboring states, and the security of having an organization like VCDL fighting for our rights.

VAopencarry

imported post

I'm no expert but it seems like Va is right up there very near the top. I think preemption, OC and no gun registration are a few things that put it above others.

novaccw

imported post

Agreed...I am orginially from PA, but I still do not feel comfortable open carrying there. I will try it one of these days though. VCDL is the reason why VA is such a good gun state, it is very important to have people constantly fighting for our rights!

TEX1N

imported post

I would agree that VA is near the top in being one of the best gun states. I am originally from Texas (if you couldn't already tell ;)). I absolutely love it there and one day would like to make it back. That being said, VA had open carry and TX doesn’t.

I believe that even if you CC, having OC carry legal is a must. I find that when I am carrying in TX I go out of my way to make sure the gun stays concealed, and find myself leaving the gun in the car on extremely hot days just because it is impractical to conceal it. It is amazing how much freer I feel in an OC state, even when I am CC. I don’t have to worry about printing, or about the wind blowing my shirt up over my gun, etc. Although I do enjoy giving my TX friends who carry a hard time about not being able to OC. :D

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I'd like to see us get rid of that silly "one gun a month" rule too. (Besides, I don't have the money to follow that rule...) But remember, if you have a VA CCW you are exempt from that nonsense.

TrueBrit

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Im not saying Va is the best gun state, but sometimes it sure feels like it. I think that feeling comes from the contrast with our neighboring states, and the security of having an organization like VCDL fighting for our rights.

Longwatch,I am sure that you are correct. May I point out, with respect,however, that Kentucky allows us to carry billyclubs, slapjacks, switchblades,brass knuckles, nunchuks and all manner of exotica!Even ninja throwing stars!I believe that you poor devils in the Old Dominion are limited to just boring old guns?

One gun a month?WE don't need no steenkin' restrictions!(lol)

Just having fun with all of you Virginians,

TrueBrit.

TrueBrit

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
Thems' fightin' words!:D

Just don't forget what we Virginians did backin 1776 and 1812. . . of course that was before "one handgun a month."

All in good fun, to each his own.

You got me there, Patriot!The only small crumb of comfort that I can derive from that bit of unpleasantness in 1776 and 1812 is that the Virginians that you mention were rather like me....Dissident Brits!

Best I can do for now! Also, was not Kentucky part of Virginia until 1792? Great States both.

TrueBrit.

longwatch

imported post

Indeed Truebrit its not perfect here in Va and there is a lot of work that needs to be done yet. That said compared to many shall issue states we have a relatively good weapons regulation framework here. I would like to eliminate OGAM, make our permits CWPs, remove liability for valid self defense cases, get no permit car carry, go to Alaska carry, school carry, eliminate restrictions on 'bad' weapons and a lot of other things. There is literally hundreds of years of gun control that needs to be overturned in this country. I think that is the reality that is overlooked by a lot of progun groups, particularly the NRA. As good as it is in Virginia, we still are merely one of the healthier patients in the cancer ward.

TEX1N

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Indeed Truebrit its not perfect here in Va and there is a lot of work that needs to be done yet. That said compared to many shall issue states we have a relatively good weapons regulation framework here. I would like to eliminate OGAM, make our permits CWPs, remove liability for valid self defense cases, get no permit car carry, go to Alaska carry, school carry, eliminate restrictions on 'bad' weapons and a lot of other things. There is literally hundreds of years of gun control that needs to be overturned in this country. I think that is the reality that is overlooked by a lot of progun groups, particularly the NRA. As good as it is in Virginia, we still are merely one of the healthier patients in the cancer ward.
So, basically your saying you want a law passed that says our right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed? Yeah, like that will ever happen.;):shock::?

longwatch

imported post

Just saying it took years to lose our rights, its going to take years to get them back. The antis used the old 'how to cook a frog' recipe on us and it nearly worked. I think we were darn near cooked around 1993-94. However, grassroots movements driven by the internet have worked very well in getting us organized and fighting back. Its going to be a long road, and its going to take little increments and long term dedication to get our rights back. Frankly I think I'll be spending the rest of my life involved in this fight, because as Alan Dershowitz said, 'The fight for civil rights never stays won.'

VApatriot

imported post

We know we aren't perfect when the Brady folks:Xonly gave Virginia something like a C-. Come on, I think we should have at least gotten a D.However, we still have some work to do if we want to get that perfect F that Alaska and Vermont got.

VAopencarry

imported post

:D Patriot, I thought the same thing when I saw the Brady grades. Virginia has some child safety laws that gets 'goody' points from Brady.