• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing in the last frontier.

Swampbeast

imported post

Hey murphyslaw, from what you know where is the best place to aim on a bear coming towards you when using a handgun?

Baradium

imported post

Swampbeast wrote:
Hey murphyslaw, from what you know where is the best place to aim on a bear coming towards you when using a handgun?

I haven't shot a bear myself, but on another forum it was recommended to me to go for a shoulder shot on a charging bear. This is becuase vitals shots (center of the chest) can give a "kill" shot but still let the bear get to you. The idea being that if you break a shoulder, the bear will either turn or tumble (as well as slow down), giving you precious seconds to unload more rounds into it so it goes down and stays down.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

0fa8aef9419e344f76dc978e2528d2350

Baradium

imported post

murphyslaw wrote:
you make it to fairbanks yet.

Made it last night, only took a bit over 36 hours from Atlanta to Fairbanks.

They're starting us with flight with a goal of getting us online ASAP.

Truck jump started, going to see if it'll start tomorrow morning. If it does, the room mate is in trouble. ;)

AlaskanAtHeart

imported post

Way late replying, but someone's yanking your chain, LOL. If you ever get bored, check out some of the Alaska Bear Stories books, you'll read about bears killed with handguns, and then you'll read about bears that refused to die being shot with big rifles.

longwatch wrote:
Is it generally consider sensible up there to pack a handgun for Kodiak defense? I heard about a guy a couple of years ago who dropped an attacking bear with a .44mag. However, before that I had also heard that everyone who had actually killed a bear in self defense with a pistol had also died themselves.

Baradium

imported post

AlaskanAtHeart wrote:
Way late replying, but someone's yanking your chain, LOL. If you ever get bored, check out some of the Alaska Bear Stories books, you'll read about bears killed with handguns, and then you'll read about bears that refused to die being shot with big rifles.

I'd heard about some of those. Seems to me that even with big rifles, shot placement is very important with a bear. When it's charging at you, just getting a kill shot might not cut it.

Random Fairbanks related question: Have you been to A Taste of Chicago on college st? It's a trailer set up at the fair grounds at the moment, best barbecue I've ever had and the sweet tea was about perfect. That brings to 3 the places in town that have sweet tea (that I know of).

I'd just as soon not have to shoot at a charging bear, but I'd rather have something to shoot at it with than nothing at all...

AlaskanAtHeart

imported post

Baradium wrote:
I'd heard about some of those. Seems to me that even with big rifles, shot placement is very important with a bear. When it's charging at you, just getting a kill shot might not cut it.

Random Fairbanks related question: Have you been to A Taste of Chicago on college st? It's a trailer set up at the fair grounds at the moment, best barbecue I've ever had and the sweet tea was about perfect. That brings to 3 the places in town that have sweet tea (that I know of).

I'd just as soon not have to shoot at a charging bear, but I'd rather have something to shoot at it with than nothing at all...
(Having issues with quote feature, so please ignore any funky posts, LOL)

Yes, from reading the bear stories, it seems as if a head shot or a neck shot is the "sure" kill with a big gun. Stories in there about bears with their hearts literally blown to smithereens and they're still charging!

I have not been to that restaurant, I'm pretty lazy about not going out to eat much. It's been about a year since we last ate there, but we really like the BBQ at Player's Grill, they used to be on Airport, but they've moved to ummmmm.....Illinois, I think. (The road that crosses College near Sam's Club)

We're from the south, too, and we haven't dared order sweet tea in town. Neither of us drinks it rot-your-teeth sweet, but we're pretty picky about our tea, so we usually order Cokes and just get our tea fixes at home. (There's usually 2 gallons in our fridges at any given time)

I think I put it in the other thread, but we bought a couple of guns yesterday, .45 for me and a .300 win mag for him. Didn't get a chance to try them out today, unfortunately, but I'm guessing I'll have sore hands and shoulder if we get to take them out tomorrow, LOL.

Did you get a gun yet? What kind? Like it? I found a couple more places to shoot today on a run out CHSR, I'll post about them in the other thread.

Baradium

imported post

AlaskanAtHeart wrote:
(Having issues with quote feature, so please ignore any funky posts, LOL)

Yes, from reading the bear stories, it seems as if a head shot or a neck shot is the "sure" kill with a big gun. Stories in there about bears with their hearts literally blown to smithereens and they're still charging!

I have not been to that restaurant, I'm pretty lazy about not going out to eat much. It's been about a year since we last ate there, but we really like the BBQ at Player's Grill, they used to be on Airport, but they've moved to ummmmm.....Illinois, I think. (The road that crosses College near Sam's Club)

We're from the south, too, and we haven't dared order sweet tea in town. Neither of us drinks it rot-your-teeth sweet, but we're pretty picky about our tea, so we usually order Cokes and just get our tea fixes at home. (There's usually 2 gallons in our fridges at any given time)

I think I put it in the other thread, but we bought a couple of guns yesterday, .45 for me and a .300 win mag for him. Didn't get a chance to try them out today, unfortunately, but I'm guessing I'll have sore hands and shoulder if we get to take them out tomorrow, LOL.

Did you get a gun yet? What kind? Like it? I found a couple more places to shoot today on a run out CHSR, I'll post about them in the other thread.

Don't know about Player's grill. Know Aviator's steakhouse (decent tea) and Big ____'s (ok, can't remember the guy's name). They have fairly good barbecue andpretty good tea, Taste of Chicago is done by the guy who the barbecue place is named after, best barbecue ever and great tea. ;) I know of 2 places I wouldn't hesitate to order tea from and a 3rd I'm willing to test it with oncase by case basis. You can always get coke if the tea isn't up to par. ;)

What kind of .45 did you get?.45 ACP or .45 Colt?

I still havn't gotten a gun yet, although I'm still very much inclined towards the Ruger Blackhawk.

AlaskanAtHeart

imported post

Baradium wrote:
Don't know about Player's grill. Know Aviator's steakhouse (decent tea) and Big ____'s (ok, can't remember the guy's name). They have fairly good barbecue andpretty good tea, Taste of Chicago is done by the guy who the barbecue place is named after, best barbecue ever and great tea. ;) I know of 2 places I wouldn't hesitate to order tea from and a 3rd I'm willing to test it with oncase by case basis. You can always get coke if the tea isn't up to par. ;)

What kind of .45 did you get?.45 ACP or .45 Colt?

I still havn't gotten a gun yet, although I'm still very much inclined towards the Ruger Blackhawk.
I went cheap with the .45, it's a Hi Point, ACP. I'm assuming the .300 win mag is a cheapy, too, because it wasn't expensive, it's a Remington 710.

Paid about $135 for the .45, which is right up my price range for something I only plan to use maybe 20 times a year (use meaning carry it, not necessarily fire it). But, after visiting the Indoor Range, I'm thinking about getting a Hi Point 9mm to play with and if I like that, then a higher end one, maybe.

We've been here in Fbks for about 18 months now, and it's really sad but we've only been to a few local restaurants :shock: We tried The Cookie Jar right after we moved here, everyone else we've ever talked to about it loves it, we thought it was OK, nothing to really rave about. LOVED Player's Grill, really enjoyed the Mongolian BBQ place on Airport, and think Jalepenos is very good. I think that's all the local restaurants we've tried. Not overly impressed with the service at the Chili's here, but the food seems to be fairly good, so we just get take out when we go there, and of course Denny's is unique here, what with the reindeer they serve, LOL.

Baradium

imported post

AlaskanAtHeart wrote:
I went cheap with the .45, it's a Hi Point, ACP. I'm assuming the .300 win mag is a cheapy, too, because it wasn't expensive, it's a Remington 710.

Paid about $135 for the .45, which is right up my price range for something I only plan to use maybe 20 times a year (use meaning carry it, not necessarily fire it). But, after visiting the Indoor Range, I'm thinking about getting a Hi Point 9mm to play with and if I like that, then a higher end one, maybe.

We've been here in Fbks for about 18 months now, and it's really sad but we've only been to a few local restaurants :shock: We tried The Cookie Jar right after we moved here, everyone else we've ever talked to about it loves it, we thought it was OK, nothing to really rave about. LOVED Player's Grill, really enjoyed the Mongolian BBQ place on Airport, and think Jalepenos is very good. I think that's all the local restaurants we've tried. Not overly impressed with the service at the Chili's here, but the food seems to be fairly good, so we just get take out when we go there, and of course Denny's is unique here, what with the reindeer they serve, LOL.

You can try shooting the revolver I'm getting once I finally pick one if you'd like. ;) I do at least have it narrowed down pretty good though.

Is this .45 a rifle? Price doesn't seem too bad to me either... wish the ruger revolvers were that cheap. ;)

I've been in Fairbanks a month and a half now, don't even know where The Cookie Jar is. ;) Mongolian and BBQ together scares me. Jalepenos is good, there are a few other good mexican places around as well. I probobly won't ever go to the Chili's here again. I had that bad of an experience with them. I won't even do take out with them. I wasn't too impressed with Denny's when I went though, I have no desire to go there again, but that's just because other places had much better food for same or cheaper prices.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

Gotta love this great great state we live in here I am sitting in the southeast waffle company enjoying a mocha and free internet. Im opencarrying while reading about others open carrying. is there anything better. not to mention that whilst sitting here I have seen two other folks(both men mid 40's) come in get coffee and leave that had planly(sp?) visable sidearms. GOD I LOVE THIS STATE.

the yetty

imported post

I was thinking about going up to Alaska for some backpackinig with a buddy of mine.

I originally wasn't planning on taking any of my guns, but after talking to some people, i thought i might reconsider.

Originally i was thinking just a .22 pistol with red dot scope, its a good survival weapon, if we ever got lost or what not, ran out of food, easy to hunt small animals, not too bad for self defense but definitely not a first choice.

i also thought of a .22 rifle, but its too much to carry.

After talking to some more people, i thought, "well maybe i should bring my XD-40". at least its got a little more stopping power, but i doubt it would help against a bear.

I also have a 30-06 and a 18.5" 12 guage. I was considering one of those, but again, i don't know if i want to deal with carring a long gun.

Will a 30-06 or a 12 ga slug do anything against a bear.

is it worth the trouble to carry one?

should I even bother bring my XD-40, or is it just another hassle.

any thoughts?

Baradium

imported post

I brought my .44 mag up with me at the beginning of this week, since I was using a full sized gun case I also brought my 30-06. I asked at the gun store and got some rounds that the guy said should penetrate and then still have the energy to break bone. Basically you want a round with a lot of mass and a low expansion coefficient (not full metal jacket though). Drop isn't an issue since in a defense situation it'll always be within 100 yards. I don't know if I'll actually carry the 30-06 anywhere though unless I end up actually doing some hunting.

The 12 gauge with the biggest slug you can find is actually a recommended weapon for bear. When I did my initial research that and a 45-70 were the two best options. As far as handguns I was told thatthe .44 mag is really as small as you want to go if you plan on shooting a bear. I also bought some shot shell rounds for the .44 mag to use for small game.

There is bear spray and some people only carry that. You could carry bear spray and a smaller firearm such as the .22, but you have to realize that the firearm might not do anything to a bear other than make it more mad at you. I've been advised that in a defense situation the idea is to break a shoulder on the bear, you don't do a center mass shot because they take so long to drop. Breaking a shoulder will turn or tumble the bear and give you more time to knock it down so it stays down.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

For most times im in the woods i carry the xd45acp but thats just cause i dont have anything bigger would like to get something biger but this is what i have. I figure between the 14rds in the gun and the two extra clips of 13rds each even being small that kinda power should get something done.

in the last two weeks I have come within throwing distance of three brown bears, got within 20ft of a 2yr old brown and within 50ft of a mom and a single cub and not once did i feel it even nessecary to even draw the pistol just backed away nice and slow and kept my distance. oh btw i have been in tenakee springs for the last three weeks