• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin Open Carry

VApatriot

imported post

Wisconsin does not have CC, but itis listed as an open carry state. As I will be heading that way this summer to visit family, can anyone tell me about the acceptance of open carry in WI?

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Pretty much non-existent. I think you can put an unloaded gun on your dashboard or something. i am not sure what the actual statutory provisions are.

pkbites

imported post

ilbob wrote:
Pretty much non-existent. I think you can put an unloaded gun on your dashboard or something. i am not sure what the actual statutory provisions are.

I'm a police officer in Wisconsin. Driving around with a handgun on your dash, even unloaded, is going to get you pulled over, probably as a high risk stop (i.e. at gun point).
I can assure you that if you do this on the freeway they'll be a zillion 911 calls about it and a dozen squads responding. You can whine all you want about how it's technically not illegal while you're being booked (probably for disorderly conduct).

There are no laws on the state books regarding open carry, if you don't count hunting laws and regulations governing armed security guards. Wisconsins preemption law also voided all local ordinances on open carry.

However, most larger cities are charging disturbing the peace (a local charge) or disorderly conduct (can either be a local or a state charge). Actually getting convictions for those charges are another thing. I've seen lots of those charges get kicked.

What needs to happen is there needs to be a State Supreme Court ruling on whether open carry constitutes disorderly conduct/disturbing the peace. I would say no, as the statutes don't fit the description of walking around with a handgun secured in an open holster.

pkbites

imported post

ilbob wrote:
maybe it is time for wi gun owners to organize some OC walks like what happened in Ohio.
What really needs to happen is for the WSSC to rule that the State constitution right to bear arms clause covers open carry, and that it's not disorderly conduct.

The problem is, the court right now is left leaning, so don't hold your breath for any such ruling. In fact, just a few weeks ago the court handed down a very bad ruling against a tavern owner whom had a pistol in his truck, saying the state constitution clause didn't cover that. The amendment to bear arms in our S.C. is very specific & well worded. How they came to that bad ruling is beyond me. Look it up & read it. It's state v fisher I believe.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Didn't the WSC come close to doing something like that a few years ago? But stopped just short of doing so to give the legislature a chance to deal with the problem?

streams180

imported post

ya this whole thing is crazy...i have to take my gun off when i go from duluth to superior which is right across the bridge...im guessing that if i open carried i would be arrested in superior?

pkbites

imported post

ilbob wrote:
Didn't the WSC come close to doing something like that a few years ago? But stopped just short of doing so to give the legislature a chance to deal with the problem?

The court ruled that business & property owners could use the RTKABA amendment as a defense for CCW on their property. That court highly recommended that the legislature creat a permit/licensing system.

THAT court, however, leaned to the right. Todays State Supreme Court leans to the left.
Pro gun rulings are not going to come from this current court.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pkbites wrote:
ilbob wrote:

I'm a police officer in Wisconsin. Driving around with a handgun on your dash, even unloaded, is going to get you pulled over, probably as a high risk stop (i.e. at gun point).
I can assure you that if you do this on the freeway they'll be a zillion 911 calls about it and a dozen squads responding. You can whine all you want about how it's technically not illegal while you're being booked (probably for disorderly conduct).

According to opencarry.org, a well respected repository of information on open carry,
Open Car Carry

Open carry in a car is legal if the firearm is unloaded and on the dashboard
I knew I had seen that somewhere.

John -can you tell us where you found this information at?

pkbites

imported post

ilbob wrote:
According to opencarry.org, a well respected repository of information on open carry,
Open Car Carry

And you can babble that all you want to the police. You can quote OC.O, state statutes and Biblical scripture all you want too. But if several frantic calls come in about someone driving around with a gun sitting on the dash, chances are very high you're going to get nailed with disturbing the peace or DC. And with a weapon present it is going to be handled as a high risk stop. I've seen it happen. Whether or not you get convicted is another thing. But driving around with a firearm on the dash is asking for your day to go south.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I was just curious where it came from. I checked the WI statutes and did not find anything that seemed like it said anything like that.

pkbites

imported post

ilbob wrote:
I was just curious where it came from. I checked the WI statutes and did not find anything that seemed like it said anything like that.

I'll have to look into the DNR regulations. I don't have them on me right now. They have regs. on how firearms can be transported.

The statutes also are silent (with the exceptions I've already posted) about open carry.
But that doesn't stop someone from being charged with dtp or dc or getting ordered in on a d.a. referral. My point is, just because these things aren't specifically illegal doesn't mean one will get away with doing them. Until this state get's it's head out of it's [Always Shoot Safely] about guns, people are going to remained disarmed & helpless!

I personally don't think any of these constitutes disorderly conduct. Read Wisconsins DC statute and you'll see what I mean. I've never charged dc for open carry.

Theres a rumor going around the web (like Packing.Org) that the Attorney General sent out an opinion about open carry. I browse our departments copy of the Wisconsin Criminal Justice Bulletin every month and I didn't read it. If it's out there, I'd like to see it.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Open Car Carry

John -can you tell us where you found this information at?
First, remember that I am not a lawyer and the standard site disclaimer applies :cool:

Having said that, I derived that information from 2 sources.

First, the text of Wisconsin code section 167.31

(2) PROHIBITIONS; MOTORBOATS AND VEHICLES; HIGHWAYS AND
ROADWAYS. (a) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may
place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a
motorboat with the motor running, unless the firearm is unloaded

(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess
or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle,
unless the firearm is unloaded and encased

(4) EXCEPTIONS. (a) Subsections (2) and (3) do not apply to
any of the following

e. His or her firearm is in plain view, as defined by rule by the
department of regulation and licensing.

(The dashboard component of this was decided by court precedent in State vs Walls 1994 which held that in common sight on a seat was insufficient to be in plain view).

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

John

The exception you quoted only applies to security guards.

I think you need to update the WI page to suggest OC in a car is NOT legal in WI.

WI-Guy

imported post

Hold on, John - don't change it so it says OC is illegal.

pkbites has described how the situation actually is. What this site should say is simply:

OC is technically legal as it is not explicitly addressed by law.

However, Disorderly Conduct and Disturbing the Peace charges will likely be pressed if you are seen by an LEO or reported by a concerned citizen.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

WI-Guy wrote:
Hold on, John - don't change it so it says OC is illegal.

pkbites has described how the situation actually is. What this site should say is simply:

OC is technically legal as it is not explicitly addressed by law.

However, Disorderly Conduct and Disturbing the Peace charges will likely be pressed if you are seen by an LEO or reported by a concerned citizen.
The court case dealt strictly with whether a gun was concealed if it was on the seat. The courts decided it was. But that is for the purposes of the concealed carry law.

Carry of an uncased firearminside a car is specifically prohibited in another statute. The court case cited did not deal with that law at all.

OC outside a vehicle is what is not prohibited. I think the state is color coded correctly, just the part about putting the gun on the dashboard is wrong.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I have corrected the WI page. Thanks to all who helped with the research!

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pkbites wrote:
I personally don't think any of these constitutes disorderly conduct. Read Wisconsins DC statute and you'll see what I mean. I've never charged dc for open carry.

Have you ever run across anyone who was open carrying?

if so, what did you charge him with?

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

pkbites wrote:
Theres a rumor going around the web (like Packing.Org) that the Attorney General sent out an opinion about open carry. I browse our departments copy of the Wisconsin Criminal Justice Bulletin every month and I didn't read it. If it's out there, I'd like to see it.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/

There is a link there for looking at AG opinions. I did not find anything on point.

I had read somewhere that Gov. Doyle had made the statement that CC was not needed because OC was legal in WI. It does not sound like something he would say.

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/lrb/pubs/wb/06wb6.pdf

Is an interesting summary of the laws of the various states compiled by WI's Legislative Reference Bureau. I note they failed to mention anything at all about OC in WI although they did mention it was legal in OH. Nice map on the last page summerizing what states are no/may/shall-issue.

They state AL is a may-issue state. I think technically they may be right.I looked it up and the statute uses the phrase "may issue".

pkbites

imported post

ilbob wrote:
pkbites wrote:

Have you ever run across anyone who was open carrying?

if so, what did you charge him with?
Open carry is exceptionally rare here. The very few times I've come across it, I was usually a back up officer to officers from other departments. (I work it an area which closely borders 3 cities, plus with the County Sheriff, State Patrol, & the DNR, it's not unusual to have daily contact with officers from those 6 agencies).

A few years ago I personally did come across someone open carrying, but he was in a state owned building and we charged him with that. That guy made some real jackass comments too, about how he was carrying just in case someone ticks him off, and things like that.

I've gotten into some arguments with other officers about open carry not meeting the definition of disorderly conduct.