• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ABC Hires Gun Control Activist as Firearms Reports

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

"Reports" in the Title Should Have Been "Reporter".

SAF News Release

It looks like ABC News has no problem at all with the appearance of bias, now that they've assigned a reporter who used to work for Handgun Control, Inc. to cover firearms-related stories, the Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) said today.

Washington correspondent Jake Tapper once worked for Handgun Control, according to a piece he wrote when he worked for Salon News. His obvious bias greatly alarms SAF founder Alan M. Gottlieb.

"This is the same ABC News that rushed to the air this week to report that Republican House Speaker Denny Hastert is under investigation by the Justice Department, when the Justice Department said he wasn't," Gottlieb noted. "This is the same news network that added George Stephanopoulos, a former top aide to anti-gun President Bill Clinton. Now they've got a former staffer for an extremist gun control group reporting on firearms issues.

"It is no wonder why so many American citizens believe there is an institutional bias in the national press," Gottlieb continued. "MSNBC's Chris Matthews once worked for anti-gun Congressman Tip O'Neill and wrote speeches for Jimmy Carter. NBC's Tim Russert was chief of staff for anti-gun Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan and was a counselor for Mario Cuomo, an avowed gun prohibitionist. Does anyone see a pattern here?"

SAF urges gun owners to express their disappointment to ABC News by e-mail at: support@abcnews.go.com , or via mail to ABC News, 7 West 66th Street, New York, NY 10023.

cs9c1

imported post

There is a bias in the press. Say it isn't so.:p That is why I watch Fox news.

Ask anyone just back from Iraq if the media is biased and they will probably just frown.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

CBS did just get rid of Dan Rather.

I think he was a serious embarrassment and getting worse as he got older.

ProguninTN

imported post

Fox is better than others, but they still have some people I am suspicious of. I'll include a name as well: Geraldo Rivera.

ProguninTN

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
Fox is better than others, but they still have some people I am suspicious of. I'll include a name as well: Geraldo Rivera.

ProguninTN

The one thing I do like about Fox News is that they generally separate news and commentary and most of the time the news is pretty neutral, at least compared to other sources.

I expect commentary to be biased toward the speaker's POV. It is supposed to be.

I also want news that is news and not commentary biased toward a POV.

At one time I was an avid watcher of 60 minutes. They had high standards and you could depend on a fair assessment and reporting of the facts when they did a story. The last 10 years though, they have gotten to the point where I just stopped watching it. I think the low point might have been when they allowed Bill and Hillary to engage in blatant dishonesty, and no effort whatsoever was made to point out those dishonesties.

cs9c1

imported post

The way I see it, is Fox allows other points of veiw while the "Big 3" keep the liberal bias alive at all costs. Even at the cost of their own standards. I use the word standards loosly when talking about ABC, CBS, or NBC.

:cuss:

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

cs9c1 wrote:
The way I see it, is Fox allows other points of veiw while the "Big 3" keep the liberal bias alive at all costs. Even at the cost of their own standards. I use the word standards loosly when talking about ABC, CBS, or NBC.

:cuss:
Fox is not particularly conservative. I am astounded to see all the rantings to the contrary. Those that claimthat obviously don't watch much Fox. What they did was make a business decision to allow a more balanced approach on the commentary side, and to make an effort to separate news and commentary.

ProguninTN

imported post

bWhile Fox is more balanced, those who claim it is conservative either fail to recognize its liberal tint, or they are so liberal, anyone who is more centrist is labeled "conservative" in their opinion.

ProguninTN

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
bWhile Fox is more balanced, those who claim it is conservative either fail to recognize its liberal tint, or they are so liberal, anyone who is more centrist is labeled "conservative" in their opinion.

ProguninTN

they are a lot better at separating commentary and news.

i don't care if a commentator expresses a POV. that is what they do. and you are right that much of the fox news commentators, like oreilly, are anything but conservative. i get a kick out of the whiners who put oreilly up as proof of how far to the right fox is. it is obvious they do not watch the show or they would never say such a thing.

it is like people who do not listen to rush Limbaugh claiming he says all kinds of things that are just totally out of character with his show. i know he just never said it, or perhaps said in a way that he clearly meant it as humor or satire.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Personally I don't trust any media outlets including fox. Last week they had a story on psychics (only they called themselves 'sensitives)andFox dead serious about it. It really made me question their intelligence or wonder what they think of the viewers intelligence.