• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I want to open carry but I'm nervous...

PT-111

imported post

I moved here to Tennessee from Mobile Alabama 7 months ago. Now, no matter what you have heard and no matter what the law actually says, Alabama is a no open carry state. In most parts of Alabama, if you open carry, you will be arrested. This is true in Mobile County. I know a man who was arrested for openly carrying a handgun. He was arrested for breach of peace.

Let's not start a big open carry in Alabama debate, I lived there for 14 years. I know what I am talking about.

Now, I live in an open carry state. I would like to open carry if for no other reason than I can. But, I am nervous. I live in Arlington Tennessee, about 25 miles from Memphis up I-40. I have looked and looked while I have been out and so far I have not seen a single person open carrying. So, I am understandably nervous about doing it myself.

Is there anyone out there in my area who has or who does open carry? What can I expect in my area.
I am considering calling the Shelby County Sheriffs substation in Arlington and asking them what the attitude towards a citizen with a permit open carrying would be.

Let me hear your opinions.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

The first thing I would tell you is NOT to call the sheriff. They will only perpetuate the myth that while legal, open carry is somehow bad or wrong.

The second thing I will say is KNOW THE LAW. Carry it with you.

I live right on the VA/TN border here in Bristol, so I carry in TN all the time.

I have had TN law enforcement try to tell me on several occasions that you cannot carry openly with a permit in TN. They have stated that you could be charged with going armed.So, I have started carrying a small card around with me that quotes the law to educate them:

----------------------------------

39-17-1351. Handgun carry permits.

n) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (n)(2), a permit issued pursuant to this section shall be good for four (4) years and shall entitle the permit holder to carry any handgun or handguns that the permit holder legally owns or possesses. The permit holder shall have the permit in the holder's immediate possession at all times when carrying a handgun and shall display the permit on demand of a law enforcement officer.

39-17-1307. Unlawful carrying or possession of a weapon.

a) (1) A person commits an offense who carries with the intent to go armed a firearm, a knife with a blade length exceeding four inches (4"), or a club.

39-17-1308. Defenses to unlawful possession or carrying of a weapon.

(a) It is a defense to the application of § 39-17-1307 if the possession or carrying was:

(2) By a person authorized to possess or carry a firearm pursuant to § 39-17-1315 or § 39-17-1351;

[line]
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law live in Knoxville and I open carry there all the time with no problems. Last Christmas, in West Hills mall, my wife and I found a lost child in the mall and took him to a deputy who was working security there. We were both open carrying and he didn't say a word except thanks for helping the child.

And third, welcome to the world of open carry! :D

ProguninTN

imported post

I would do what jpierce recommends. (print the Law onpiece of paper and stick it in your pocket) If anybody asks, your covered. I should do the same thing. I have told people that open carry is legal, but they did not believe me. (I guess you can't trust those college students, eh ? :?)

sig226-40

imported post

I know the feeling about being nervous. Ihave open carry a few times. Would like to do it more in the future.I have seen a few peopleopen carryat wally world on 64.Maybe the more I do it the more i will feel comfortable doing it.

whiskeypapa

imported post

sig226-40, welcome to the forum

I live just south of Paris, and I open carry everywhere I go,been doing so for about 2years now,no problems so far and I really do not expect any.:p

TrueBrit

imported post

Mr. Pierce offers excellent advice, and I would only suggest, in addition, that you walk confidently,refrain from touching or fiddling with your gun and holster, and just behave naturally.

You should be just fine!

Welcome to the wonderful world of open carry, Sir!

Apologies for the blank post above, I hit the wrong button somewhere!

TrueBrit.

murphyslaw

State Researcher
imported post

When I first started to carry I was VERY nervous. After doing a lot of reading and memorizing a bunch of laws I decided I was ready. I started with carrying to certain places, like a friends houses. Then decided to take the next step, the parts store. After about a week of doing this I was starting to get comfortable so I kept expanding where I carried. Before I know it I felt odd with out my gun and carried where ever legally able. To this day I forget my wallet more then I forget my sidearm(NOT recomended). It’s really a process of getting used to it and not being paranoid.

When you first start to carry it may be helpful to you if,
  1. Assuming you drink coffee of soda or water. Carry a coffee cup when ever you can. to keep your hand from “wandering”.Carry stuff in your strong hand to keep your hand from resting on the gun or even touching it.If you can hang with other people that carry, it will make you feel like less a target for those “looks”, and help the nerves.BE NICE. Above all try to pretend its not there, don’t think about it.
Hope this helps a bit.

PT-111

imported post

I have carried a gun for 17 years. I am not a newbi to carrying a gun. I am however a newbi to open carrying since I lived only in non-open carry states prior to now.

ChuckC

imported post

PT-111, I am a South Carolina resident, but I have open carried a few times in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Although it has only been very few times that I have, I was never given any grief for doing so. The first time I open carried was at a Bojangles in Pigeon Forge. I was wearing an unzipped jacket that somewhatconcealed my weapon, but anyone who waslooking would have noticed it. When my wife (fiance at the time)and I sat down, I removed my jacket and was as nervous as heck. I wanted to test the waters and everything went fine. I even got up and went back to the buffet with my sidearm exposed an nobody hassled me. I am still a little edgy about open carrying in Tennessee due to the fear of a tourist making a "man with a gun" call. But hopefully I'll get over it soon.

And by the way, there is a good ol' boy on packing.org with the screen name of SomeKid. He lives in Chattanooga and OC's there all the time. I actually emailed him and asked for his advice on OCing before I left for Pigeon Forge. If you get a chance, look him up and read some of his previous posts.

In Liberty,

Chuck

ProguninTN

imported post

ChuckC wrote:
PT-111, I am a South Carolina resident, but I have open carried a few times in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Although it has only been very few times that I have, I was never given any grief for doing so. The first time I open carried was at a Bojangles in Pigeon Forge. I was wearing an unzipped jacket that somewhatconcealed my weapon, but anyone who waslooking would have noticed it. When my wife (fiance at the time)and I sat down, I removed my jacket and was as nervous as heck. I wanted to test the waters and everything went fine. I even got up and went back to the buffet with my sidearm exposed an nobody hassled me. I am still a little edgy about open carrying in Tennessee due to the fear of a tourist making a "man with a gun" call. But hopefully I'll get over it soon.

And by the way, there is a good ol' boy on packing.org with the screen name of SomeKid. He lives in Chattanooga and OC's there all the time. I actually emailed him and asked for his advice on OCing before I left for Pigeon Forge. If you get a chance, look him up and read some of his previous posts.

In Liberty,

Chuck
I have communicated with SomeKid. He's definitely one for the cause. I may try to meet him this summer.

ArmyCop

imported post

PT-111 wrote:

I moved here to Tennessee from Mobile Alabama 7 months ago. Now, no matter what you have heard and no matter what the law actually says, Alabama is a no open carry state. In most parts of Alabama, if you open carry, you will be arrested. This is true in Mobile County. I know a man who was arrested for openly carrying a handgun. He was arrested for breach of peace.

Let's not start a big open carry in Alabama debate, I lived there for 14 years. I know what I am talking about.

Now, I live in an open carry state. I would like to open carry if for no other reason than I can. But, I am nervous. I live in Arlington Tennessee, about 25 miles from Memphis up I-40. I have looked and looked while I have been out and so far I have not seen a single person open carrying. So, I am understandably nervous about doing it myself.

Is there anyone out there in my area who has or who does open carry? What can I expect in my area.
I am considering calling the Shelby County Sheriffs substation in Arlington and asking them what the attitude towards a citizen with a permit open carrying would be.

Let me hear your opinions.
I have to wonder what other circumstances might have been around the guy that was arrested for you mentioned...???
I sometimes open carry in the Mall and other places in Mobile Alabama and have never had any problems with it.