• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone else in the Memphis area?

docwatson

imported post

So I can carry concealed in a restraunt but not in the open?

I'll be in down there for SabreTactical.com for thier CAR course and will be carrying while I am there and since Va and Tn have reciprocity, I will be carrying the entire time.

robbiev427

imported post

docwatson wrote:
So I can carry concealed in a restraunt but not in the open?

I'll be in down there for SabreTactical.com for thier CAR course and will be carrying while I am there and since Va and Tn have reciprocity, I will be carrying the entire time.

If you're talking about TN, you cannot carry legally in any establishment that sells alcohol for on-site consumption, regardless of whether it's open or concealed.

If a restaurant doesn't sell alcohol, it's legal either way, if it isn't a posted property.

Loaded247

imported post

I'm new to the site, so forgive the late response. I'm in Bartlett. I shoot at MSSA. Sometimes I shoot at RangeUSA, which is pretty close to me.....

canynracer

imported post

PT-940 wrote:
I am also in the Memphis area (Lakeland to be exact), basically on the corner of Canada and 64. I have always wanted to open carry, but having concealed for so long, it's not easy for me to let go of my reservations.

holy crap you are right down the street!! I shoot at RangeUSA...the people seem nice...

bcop35

imported post

Hey neighbor!! I live in the woodland subdivision as well!! Small world aint it!

bcop35

imported post

Pardon thedamn forums rookie here!! Ihope I posted this thing right!

Greetings to all, and howdy neighbor! I live in the woodland hills subdivision in lakeland as well. Seems a few of us live inclose proximity. Isling most of myleadon pvt. land in fayette co. Im carryingmost of the time. Sometimes when I dont even want to!! Im aMemphis officer. Thatsentence tends to bring out some hostile responsesfrom some folks.Having said that, allow me to tell you a bit about myselfand maybe dull the edges of talking witha new person on these subjects. Especially a cop! Maybe by givinga little insight onwho Iam,those who arentcop fans,wouldnt be on the defensiveso much with me.I have noticed that some folks on this site dontthink muchof the police and I certainly understand!! I dontrequire that folks like me and all police!! I do dislike the broad brush some of these folks paint with though. I agree that todays police are a different breed with some screwed up ideasand methodology.Believe me...I know...I get concernedwhen going for qualificationat our range.Some of themorons on the fire line next to you will get you hurt if you dontkeep an eye onthem. Is that not sad?? Lower standards!!Many of the femalesstruggle to get their damn weapon out of the holster!! (sorry ladies,the truthis what it is)So effectively, basicproficiency with the firearm is nowoptional??

I 'm nota stereotype cop with a narrow line of sight androbot-likeresponses.I dontside with big bro. govt. onmuch. I dont think that police do no wrong! andIm not exactly a "by the book" kinda guy. "By the book" type officers aredisfunctional idiots. Thoseofficers whofollow the "book" do so because they cant thinkand make decisions for themselves. Idont pay much attention to mickey mouse rules! Not because I think Im above the rules, I just hate redundant laws and rules that defyall logic. (ie gun control laws). Myview is,laws are made tocurtail negativebehavior and should be used as a tool toeffect a change on negativebehavior. In my opinion, if a persons actionsare not endangering, interfering or violating anothers rights, whyact . Just because a lawcanbe used, doesnt mean itshould be used.Todaysofficersseem to lack any discretion, to which I attatcha lack of job knowledge. I dont think Im gods gift to police work. Knowledgable about every law and expert in all weapons. I cant stand theknow- it -all type guy that loves to hearthemselvestalk. Speaking of which, Im gettin off the soapbox now. Im sorry for the lenghty autobiographyhere. Iwas hoping to maybediscardsome pre-concieved ideas about myself. Im usually not long winded!!!

So Back to the forum content!!!

I usually carry my 38 snub lightweight (consealed) or if Im feeling spunky I'll openly carrymy Sig 40cal. Being thatMemphis isa "crime challenged" city with shootings almost everyday, Im rarely withoutfirepower of some type.

So how did the plans for some of yall to meetwork out? Id like to join in sometime iftheres room. Im always willingtomeet withnormoral, good peoplewith the same basic beliefs! I had a thought...the pond in woodland hills sub. has a catfish or two in it! Wouldnt be a bad place to meet up. We can carry openly, even partake in libations if so desired, while we solve the worlds problems! Let me know if anyones intrested!!

C-ya

imported post

bcop35, welcome to a newbie from a newbie! I'll be moving to the area in Jan to start a new job. I'll be over in the Covington/Millington area. We were just down this past weekend and strolled Beale St. for a couple of hours.

Let me say that it is is refreshing to hear your thoughts on what the police should do and how they should act. I'm sure you are the minority, but thanks for your convictions and attitudes.

So, I'll be looking to meet some of you guys as well. I'll keep my eye on this thread.

canynracer

imported post

bcop35 wrote:
Pardon thedamn forums rookie here!! Ihope I posted this thing right!

Greetings to all, and howdy neighbor! I live in the woodland hills subdivision in lakeland as well. Seems a few of us live inclose proximity. Isling most of myleadon pvt. land in fayette co. Im carryingmost of the time. Sometimes when I dont even want to!! Im aMemphis officer. Thatsentence tends to bring out some hostile responsesfrom some folks.Having said that, allow me to tell you a bit about myselfand maybe dull the edges of talking witha new person on these subjects. Especially a cop! Maybe by givinga little insight onwho Iam,those who arentcop fans,wouldnt be on the defensiveso much with me.I have noticed that some folks on this site dontthink muchof the police and I certainly understand!! I dontrequire that folks like me and all police!! I do dislike the broad brush some of these folks paint with though. I agree that todays police are a different breed with some screwed up ideasand methodology.Believe me...I know...I get concernedwhen going for qualificationat our range.Some of themorons on the fire line next to you will get you hurt if you dontkeep an eye onthem. Is that not sad?? Lower standards!!Many of the femalesstruggle to get their damn weapon out of the holster!! (sorry ladies,the truthis what it is)So effectively, basicproficiency with the firearm is nowoptional??

I 'm nota stereotype cop with a narrow line of sight androbot-likeresponses.I dontside with big bro. govt. onmuch. I dont think that police do no wrong! andIm not exactly a "by the book" kinda guy. "By the book" type officers aredisfunctional idiots. Thoseofficers whofollow the "book" do so because they cant thinkand make decisions for themselves. Idont pay much attention to mickey mouse rules! Not because I think Im above the rules, I just hate redundant laws and rules that defyall logic. (ie gun control laws). Myview is,laws are made tocurtail negativebehavior and should be used as a tool toeffect a change on negativebehavior. In my opinion, if a persons actionsare not endangering, interfering or violating anothers rights, whyact . Just because a lawcanbe used, doesnt mean itshould be used.Todaysofficersseem to lack any discretion, to which I attatcha lack of job knowledge. I dont think Im gods gift to police work. Knowledgable about every law and expert in all weapons. I cant stand theknow- it -all type guy that loves to hearthemselvestalk. Speaking of which, Im gettin off the soapbox now. Im sorry for the lenghty autobiographyhere. Iwas hoping to maybediscardsome pre-concieved ideas about myself. Im usually not long winded!!!

So Back to the forum content!!!

I usually carry my 38 snub lightweight (consealed) or if Im feeling spunky I'll openly carrymy Sig 40cal. Being thatMemphis isa "crime challenged" city with shootings almost everyday, Im rarely withoutfirepower of some type.

So how did the plans for some of yall to meetwork out? Id like to join in sometime iftheres room. Im always willingtomeet withnormoral, good peoplewith the same basic beliefs! I had a thought...the pond in woodland hills sub. has a catfish or two in it! Wouldnt be a bad place to meet up. We can carry openly, even partake in libations if so desired, while we solve the worlds problems! Let me know if anyones intrested!!

Welcome bcop. I live in the subdivision behind sonic off of 64.

I for one have a great deal of respect for the law enforcement officers here in TN, Being from CA, I can say that you all definatley have your hands full!

If your interested, there is a GREAT site for the tn gun owners that has some stuff a little closer to "home" tngunowners.com...stop by and say hi, I have the same username there as well. Maybe we can all schedule some range time down at rangeUSA.

anyway, Welcome!

Canynracer

IceBreakerG

imported post

Just wanted to introduce myself here. I'm Eric, and I live in Cordova in the Woodland Hills area as well. Really good to know other people in my area that are carrying as well. I broke my right hand about a month ago (I'm right handed as well lol) so I haven't been able to shoot or anything for a while. But if anyone wants to meet up or something, I'd be down for it. Maybe take a trip to the range or something too.

RonnieH

imported post

Hello, I am Ronnie H. I live in the Raleigh Bartlett area of Memphis. I have come across a few places that do not like for their patrons to be carrying (open or concealed). I sometimes carry a back up that I can conceal in a pocket. Does anyone know why Shelby County Mayor A. C. Wharton closed the penal farm range?

crotalus01

imported post

Hey all, my name is Dan, I live in Midtown. I am getting my conceled carry permit early next year. I have been putting it off for far too long now.

As for why the penal farm range was closed, the mayor elected to close it rather than raise the price for shooting - why I have no idea, but it was determined by the powers that be that the range was costing the county too much money to justify keeping it open. Personally I would have paid more to be able to shoot there as I have yet to find an indoor range that will allow shootingassault rifles...

RonnieH

imported post

Dan, there is a place you can shoot your rifle at in the Lakeland/Arlington area. It is a private range and I cannot think of the name of it. But if you are interested, I can ask a few of my shooting friends and then post it. I think you have to also be a member of the NRA to shoot there or maybe it is a "club rule" to be a member of the NRA in order to join their club.

I prefer outdoor ranges because you can at least attempt to collect your spent brass to reload or make up a new hand load. Secondly, there are some firearms for which no brass is available, example being the FN 5.7 x 28. I can find load recipes, bullets, primers and powders but no brass.

Regards, javascript:emoticon(':lol:',%20'images/emoticons/lol.gif')

RonnieH

crotalus01

imported post

Hey Ronnie, I know the club you are talking about. No problem being an NRA member (I am) but in addition to that they also charge a large (can't remember how much off the top of my head but a LOT)one time membershipfee and a fairly steep yearly fee as well.

At any rate, I skydive at West Tennessee Skydiving in Somerville (sp?), and we have a berm set up out there where we shoot at night and on days the weather sucks. One of our other skydivers has a .50 Barret bolt action rifle that the berm was specifically built for, also lots of military jumpers who bring their personal weapons to play with.

Loaded247

imported post

The range is called MSSA, and yes, you have to be an NRA member in order to join. The fee is $240 a year. While that may seem steep to some, remember that once you pay your yearly fee, you DON'T have to pay each time you go.

If you are someone who shoots fairly often, say once a week at a minimum, then it is worth your while to join. For example, if you shoot once a week, then that fee averages out to approximately $4.60 per week to shoot. In other words, if you came on a Saturday morning at 8:00 a.m., and stayed all day and shot until dark, then your fee for the day would be approximately $4.60 for the day....

If you shoot twice a week, then you are looking at $2.30 per day...

Indoor ranges, on the other hand, will run $10.00 plus per hour...

So, if you don't shoot that often, then perhaps the indoor range is the better option, but if you shoot a lot, then MSSA starts to make more sense.

A couple of other things to consider: First, joining MSSA has a one time fee of $400, which is in addition to the yearly fee, and in addition to being an NRA member, you will also have to undergo a background check. All of this means that the guy you are shooting next to is most likely NOT going to be a gangbanger...:)

The range has a separate cowboy action range, a separate action pistol range (for IDPA, or any kind of advanced draw-shoot-move-use of cover type of stuff), a swell as a standard pistol range (7 to 15 yards), and rifle ranges going from 25 up to 600 yards. In addition to that, they have trap and skeet ranges as well....

They host separate cowboy matches, IDPA matches, blackpowder matches, long range rifle matches...M1 Garand matches....

Personally, I shoot a minimum of once a week, and I shoot a lot of blackpowder, so I joined, and I'm glad I did.....

RonnieH

imported post

Robin, yes still in the area. Top Brass in Millington is probably the closest place to you for an indoor range. I have some new pistols all S&W's to break in, (410S, 910S, 2 Sigmas). If you would like to shoot, I am free on most weekends. Right now, I am trying to get over the flu as I am not up to par yet.

robin48

imported post

RonnieH wrote:
Robin, yes still in the area. Top Brass in Millington is probably the closest place to you for an indoor range. I have some new pistols all S&W's to break in, (410S, 910S, 2 Sigmas). If you would like to shoot, I am free on most weekends. Right now, I am trying to get over the flu as I am not up to par yet.
There is a beautiful new range at Brighton Arms in Brighton. Just give me a shout when you are better.

Magnum Researcher

imported post

I live in Arlington you guys let me know when!:celebrateI've been to Brighton Arms a couple of times buthaven't shot there yet. They are some very nice people. I shootat Range USA but they are getting crowdedalways waiting for a lane. Top brass not so nice went in there with a friend not too long ago and felt like a ghost. On top of that the place was a dump.

Attachments

• Funny-Pics_Animated_Ak47Cat.gif
    Funny-Pics_Animated_Ak47Cat.gif
    64.6 KB · Views: 189