• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Parks

VAspringer

imported post

We are all aware of the ongoing efforts of VCDL and others to have the laws changed on carrying a handgun for personal defense while in a National Park.

I would appreciate some clarification as to the current legal way to transport a handgun in an automobile or motorcycle while traveling through a National Park.

Example: If a person is legally armed while traveling in or through Virginia and decides to travel on "Skyline Drive" (a National Park) for several miles, what is the proper procedure? Unload the weapon and lock in the trunk, or in the case of a motorcycle, in a saddlebag? etc????

I would appreciate hearing from some of our very knowledgeable "posters"

Thanks

VAopencarry

imported post

Yeah, That park presents a problem for motorcyclist and carrying. Often my rides will take me 'through' it, east/west if nothing else. Anyway, go figure I just checked NPS's website, the firearm related page is 'down', for updating.

VAspringer

imported post

Thanks for the quick response. I've read/heard several different sceneriosas towhat the lawful procedure is in all National Parks. I've also sent an e-mail to Philip at VCDL to get his input.

This will be good info for all of us to get updated on.

Thanks again,

Mike

VAspringer

imported post

I just heard from Philip at VCDL. Unloaded and locked in the trunk of an automobile. For motorcycles, unloaded and locked in a small carry case then placed in a saddlebag will meet the requirements while traveling in National Parks.

Mike

VAopencarry

imported post

I'm guessing if I am on a ride with friends I will not carry if we are heading in that direction. Often they take rt.211 through the Park, they do not carry and I am not crazy about the idea of stopping and un-concealing and packing up my firearm for a brief cut through of Shenandoah. Haven't had to make that decision yet, I'll see....

VAspringer

imported post

Yep I think it only makes sense if you are going to ride a good long distance on Skyline Drive......which I frequently do. Pick it up in Front Royal and ride south.

What are you riding Va Open Carry?