• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who said, Don't bring a knife to a gunfight?

robbiev427

imported post

GlockEm wrote:
1. Towards the end of the initial article, it was stated, "Mr. Autry will not be charged in the incident." Well Duh! It just strikes me as messed up that they even need to state this fact. I know I, as I am sure most of the folks on this forum, never even considered charging him as a possibility or something that would *need* to be stated. I think you see a lot of biased statements from the media in the smaller seemingly insignificant aspects of news articles.

2. I thought the 17-year old girl's family had a very appropriate remorseful response to it all, in that they said her death was the result of the choices she made and the crowd she ran with. All too often I see these stories where the family blames the crime victim.

I agree with your point in #1, except that I might add, it *may* be a good thing that it was mentioned. Even though the I doubt the media mentioned that fact to be pro-gun, it *may* convey the fact to the distrusting public that he didn't do anything wrong. If the article didn't mention that, there are probably many people that would just assume he went to jail.

Regarding #2, I agree with you. That's very refreshing to hear someone actually put the blame where it should be.

Opie

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
ProguninTN wrote:
Harassed by the punk's friends, who are armed, eh? If I were Autry, I'd keep a shotgun handy.

ProguninTN
12 gauge in the house, and .45 on the hip.
That's why I like you guys. I use the cable lock from my Mossberg to secure the gate to the back yard. It gives a criminal two valuable pieces of information: 1. This guy has a shotgun; 2.The shotgun is not locked*. -Opie

*Disclaimer - it is securely stored out of the reach of children, thank you very much!

badmonkey

imported post

I use the cable lock from my Mossberg to secure the gate to the back yard. It gives a criminal two valuable pieces of information: 1. This guy has a shotgun; 2.The shotgun is not locked*. -Opie
Wow, I really like that. Awesome idea. Too bad my Remmington 11-87 didn't come with a cable lock. I thought about posting "Secured by: Smith & Wesson" signs in the yard though.

SIGarmed229

imported post

Did you hear about Gunny Zickafoose, killed a guy with an e-tool. I think they made a GI-joe of him. Ive seen him walking around as I left the chow hall one day. One tough Mfer I would say.

Mini14

imported post

All the world is a toolbox, master said box and prosper.

Facts:

A. InWV.a sword is classified as a primitive weapon, not subject to state regulation. A Xiphos or Gladius would bea good defense and possibly even be hidden in a gym bag. You could join the SCA and learn sword play. Save the katana and longswords for D&D, they're too bulky for walking down a street.

B. Bear Spray is legal in areas where OC spray is not.

C. Atlanta Cutlery.com sells a gladius machete hybrid.

D Your vehicle is a very deadly weapon-run your foes over!

Bearspray link:

Sportsman's Guide.com

Sword links:

BY the Sword.com

Museum replicas

Deepeeka.com

www.swordmaiden.com

Mini14

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I would have thought that this ordeal for Mr Autry would be over except for the legal stuff. Apparently he has been getting threats from the associates of his attackers.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9465729/detail.html

"Three teenagers accused of armed robbery in Atlanta have been granted $70,000 bonds -- over the objections of a former Marine who killed one of their alleged accomplices in a Memorial Day attack.
Thomas Autry testified yesterday at a bond hearing that he was surrounded recently outside his apartment by as many as eight teens who threatened him for getting their friends in trouble."

I hope he is persuing more effective methods of selfdefense than his boxcutter.
These. 'eight teens.' have nothing with them that a firing squad woukl not cure. They are filth whose accountability has never gone beyond a belt or a grounding, they and who raised them; they are abig part of what is wrong with this country.

Mini14

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I would have thought that this ordeal for Mr Autry would be over except for the legal stuff. Apparently he has been getting threats from the associates of his attackers.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/9465729/detail.html

"Three teenagers accused of armed robbery in Atlanta have been granted $70,000 bonds -- over the objections of a former Marine who killed one of their alleged accomplices in a Memorial Day attack.
Thomas Autry testified yesterday at a bond hearing that he was surrounded recently outside his apartment by as many as eight teens who threatened him for getting their friends in trouble."

I hope he is persuing more effective methods of selfdefense than his boxcutter.
These. 'eight teens.' have nothing with them that a firing squad would not cure. They are filth whose accountability has never gone beyond a belt or a grounding, they and who raised them; they are abig part of what is wrong with this country.