• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greater Cincinnati Area Experiences

JSK333

imported post

To balance the other post in this section, I thought I'd post with places I've been while open carrying in Ohio, here in the Cincinnati (Green Township mostly) area, over the last three years or so:

Subway restaurant
The UPS Store
Taco Bell
Happy Buffet (Chinese)
Marathon gas station
Home Depot
US Bank (four separate locations, including downtown)
Meijer
Biggs
Thriftway (now a Kroger)
On the sidewalk in Clifton (during an organized Open Carry Walk)
Tri-County Mall
Northgate Mall (twice; one time I was confronted by LEOs/security, as I had missed a "no weapons" line on a rules sign. this was the only bad experience open carrying I've had, and ended up with no law issues)

I've only had three or four people ever mention it, most don't even seem to notice. The ones that do either ask if I am an LEO or if you need a license to do so.

JSK333

imported post

Oh, one other place:

The backseat of a police cruiser!

No, I was not under arrest. :) It was during the Open Carry Walk, I could not find the group who had already began the Walk. An officer, who was already patroling (mostly for us), tried to find them for me on his radio. He told me where and when I still could not find them, he found me again and offered to ride me over there!

Yes, this was even before Ohio's concealed carry law went into effect, when there was no legal means to have a loaded firearm accessible inside a vehicle. He didn't check my ID or anything, just let me in the backseat while open carrying. When he started driving he said, "I just have one request: please don't shoot me." LOL! I laughed and said no, I'm one of the good guys you don't have to worry about me.

This was an officer with the Cincinnati Police Dept. in Clifton. Nice guy.

jabeatty

Columbia Township (Cincinnati), Ohio, USA
imported post

JSK333 wrote:
To balance the other post in this section, I thought I'd post with places I've been while open carrying in Ohio, here in the Cincinnati (Green Township mostly) area, over the last three years or so:

Happy Buffet (Chinese)
Happy Buffet met an untimely end, supposedly at the hands of the health department. :)

Its replacement, Namtip Thai, is excellent! Well worth the visit...

Jim
Monfort Heights

Lew

imported post

JSK333 wrote:
Oh, one other place:

The backseat of a police cruiser!

No, I was not under arrest. :) It was during the Open Carry Walk, I could not find the group who had already began the Walk. An officer, who was already patroling (mostly for us), tried to find them for me on his radio. He told me where and when I still could not find them, he found me again and offered to ride me over there!

Yes, this was even before Ohio's concealed carry law went into effect, when there was no legal means to have a loaded firearm accessible inside a vehicle. He didn't check my ID or anything, just let me in the backseat while open carrying. When he started driving he said, "I just have one request: please don't shoot me." LOL! I laughed and said no, I'm one of the good guys you don't have to worry about me.

This was an officer with the Cincinnati Police Dept. in Clifton. Nice guy.
That's really great! It's so nice when the police, or anyone for that matter, takes the time to think and realizes, hey, this guy's on our side.

JSK333

imported post

jabeatty wrote:
Happy Buffet met an untimely end, supposedly at the hands of the health department. :)

Its replacement, Namtip Thai, is excellent! Well worth the visit...

Jim
Monfort Heights

Yep, I figured as much. I saw them in there a couple times, butI thought the owner was doing what they were asking. Maybe not...

I have been to Thai Namtip many times, and agree it is very good food. Haven't carried openly (only concealed), but I don't think they'd mind. If you do, Jim, let me know the response!

jabeatty

imported post

JSK333 wrote:
Yep, I figured as much. I saw them in there a couple times, butI thought the owner was doing what they were asking. Maybe not...

I have been to Thai Namtip many times, and agree it is very good food. Haven't carried openly (only concealed), but I don't think they'd mind. If you do, Jim, let me know the response!
I managed to invert the name up there... :)

TN serves beer and wine and possibly some other drinks; I haven't checked to see if they have a full Class D license or not. I haven't open-carried there either.

Jim

JSK333

imported post

Really, are you sure about the alcohol? I've checked their menu and never saw that...

Is it possible they don't serve them during their lunch hours? Because that's the only time I go...

If they serve any alcohol, they should have a Class D license. However, if it's only beer, our law specifies we can't carry only where "liquor" is being served. And the ORC excludes beer from the definition of liquor. Wine, however, is included...

jabeatty

imported post

JSK333 wrote:
Really, are you sure about the alcohol? I've checked their menu and never saw that...

Is it possible they don't serve them during their lunch hours? Because that's the only time I go...

If they serve any alcohol, they should have a Class D license. However, if it's only beer, our law specifies we can't carry only where "liquor" is being served. And the ORC excludes beer from the definition of liquor. Wine, however, is included...
I'll double-check next time I'm there. I don't think it's on the menu, just on one of those table card holders. (I could be thinking of the Golden Dragon, but I'm pretty sure Thai Namtip has the same setup.)

Jim

JSK333

imported post

I happened to be there again today and noticed nothing about alcoholic drinks anywhere. I think I remember asking once too and they said they didn't. Let me know if you find out for sure too.