• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wendy's Restraunt

TaosGlock

imported post

Last summer three of us went to Wendy's carrying openly as usual. My wife, me and a good buddy who is a local trainer and CCW instructor. The Wendy's manager is pro-gun and says she welcomes good guys carrying openly. BTW-the overall crime index here in this sleepy little town of 5,000 (20,000 plus residents in Taos County) or so is a bit over twice the national average. Mostly gang and drug related crimes.

My buddy and I had 45ACP's carried on our strong side, condition one in open top holsters and my wife had her Glock 17 also carried strong side. Our dress was casual and neat, jeans and tee shirts appropriate for the town's warm weather.

We put our trays down and the guy sitting next to us said to my wife, "Why do you carry that?" She replied politely, confidently and casuually, "This is a 9mm Glock. As a woman, statistically, I have a 50% chance of being assaulted in my lifetime and the police have no constitutional duty to protect me." She is an attorney BTW. She went on and very briefly explained New Mexico's open carry and concealed weapons policy. Then she mentioned the crime rate index for our community. The whole conversation took a minute or so.

The guy, clean cut himself, listened politely, asked another question about open carry and seemed to be satisfied with my wife's answer. He didn't ask either of us guys any questions.
He finished his meal, left and smiled. We finished our meal shortly after.
Overall it was a positive experience.

SFC Stu

imported post

TaosGlock, I like your wife and I have never met her! Smart Lady! SFC Stu

ProguninTN

imported post

Good post TaosGlock. I also like how your wife mentioned case law which states that the police have no duty to protect citizens. Unfortunately, many people do not pay attention to court rulings and are not aware of this fact. I think that if more people were aware, they would take up arms in their own defense.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
Good post TaosGlock. I also like how your wife mentioned case law which states that the police have no duty to protect citizens. Unfortunately, many people do not pay attention to court rulings and are not aware of this fact. I think that if more people were aware, they would take up arms in their own defense.

Facts will not change their minds. These are no different than the people who against all evidence believe Islamic thugs will stop attacking us if we are nice to them.

This despite 1000+ years of history showing the exact opposite.

ProguninTN

imported post

ilbob wrote:
ProguninTN wrote:

Facts will not change their minds. These are no different than the people who against all evidence believe Islamic thugs will stop attacking us if we are nice to them.

This despite 1000+ years of history showing the exact opposite.
I suppose I got carried away. You are right. Too many people are lost in their own world without facts. However, to be an optimist, perhaps we may convert a few fence sitters ?

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ProguninTN wrote:
I suppose I got carried away. You are right. Too many people are lost in their own world without facts. However, to be an optimist, perhaps we may convert a few fence sitters ?

Thats about the best you can hope for.