• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Primary - June 13 - IMPORTANT!

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Virginia Politics
OK Virginians, the time is near! The Virginia Primary is Tuesday, June 13, 2006. We havea political situation that should concern all Virginians. Since I live in the 8th Congressional District in Virginia, my illustrious congressman is none other than James Moran. It is time to cut him loose from the halls of Capitol Hill. The Republicans have two candidates, Mark W. Ellmore and Tom M. O'Donoghue, running for the U.S. House of Representatives in this primary and will go up against Mr. Moran in November. Here are the Candidate's respective websites:
Mark W. Ellmore - http://www.markellmore2006.com
Tom M. O'Donoghue - http://www.tomodonoghue.com

The Vote Smart Website has a lot of info for the whole country, for those not in the Virginia 8th Congressional District - Check it out. Here's the link for the 8th VA District and the candidates. Please read their Bios and, more importantly, their "National Political Awareness Test (NPAT) Issue Positions". Mr. Ellmore did not respond to the NPAT request, so he has no "On the Record" positions. In fact, Vote Smart has little on Mr. Ellmore. My vote is clearly for Mr. O'Donoghue - he is an advocate for our Issues - especially "Gun Issues".

Click here for Mr. O'Donoghue's NPAT

I trust that this is an appropriate use of our website, if not I apologize. We have to get involved.

DoubleR
"You Can't Legislate Human Behavior"

VApatriot

imported post

Are you joking? This is exactly what this forum is for.:D

This guy is %100 better than Jim "Moron." However,he dose not support the easing or repealing of Federal gun control.:(

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

True, he did not check either box "C" or "D", but did not want to increase any intervention. In reading some of his views on his website andsome of the other items in the NPAT, it seems like he would be a good candidate as long as he holds to his beliefs. We'll see how it goes.

In case you missed it elsewhere - VAPatriot - Nice Flag! Fly one myself, compatriot. I tend the wreaths for the statue "Appomattox" in Alexandria. - Deo Vindice

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I wish either one of them luck but the only way Moran is leaving office is feet first. Your best bet to get rid of him would be to vote for his opponent in the primary. As far as I can tell no one is running this year so it is a moot issue.
On the senate ticket I am considering voting for democrat, but not in November. Its like this; helping Webb would ensure 2 progun candidates in the Fall, if Miller wins then its better and an easier victory for Allen, unless something bad happens to him between now and November.
Here is something else to consider, if Allen wins this year and then runs for and becomes President or Vice President, we get a democrat for senator because thats who Governor Kaine will appoint for the next 4 years. Sen. Warner isn't getting any younger either, he could die or have a medical retirement and we could get a another liberal senator. On top of all this the Republicans are suing to stop our open primaries in Va. and if they get their way then if you have ever voted in a Democrat primary as of this year you can no longer vote in republican primaries period. For those of us living in the gerrymandered 8th district this is a tough decision because if we honestly want to have our votes count and to moderate the liberals I think holding our noses and voting for the lesser of 2 evils is our only choice.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Yeah, Longwatch, I've kinda thought about it along the same lines. You've certainly taken it a few steps further, though. A tough choice, that will depend on any number of "what-if" scenarios. Good analysis!

longwatch

imported post

There are a lot of good blogs on Virginia politics out there that really lay out the situation well. Try http://notlarrysabato.typepad.com/ . Also I have lived in the 8th district for 18 years and worked very closely with the Otey campaign in 96. Sorry to say it but the game is fixed in favor of the Moran machine, thats why he gets away with what he does and gets reelected year after year. See http://goodbyejim.com/ and http://www.morantics.com/

longwatch

imported post

Went to vote today, decided to vote O'Donoghue. I don't think Webb has the steam to take Allen but even if he did its still safe for gun owners.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks, Sir. Yeah, you had to choose Repub or Demo, when you got to the door. You and I will meet up at a VCDL, soon on Columbia Pike. I joined VCDL and sent some "extra" in April, but I haven't heard anything from them. Follow-up e-mail was unanswered. Phil, I'm sure, is busy.

longwatch

imported post

Well if you don't get the newsletter in a few weeks you know something is wrong. If you don't let me know, VCDL does take its commitments to the membership seriously.