• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SAF Files Complain About New Orleans Chief

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Story From The US Newswire

[line]The Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) is calling upon U.S. Attorney General Alberto Gonzales to investigate New Orleans Police Superintendent Warren Riley over his announcement last week that police in his city would once again confiscate privately-owned firearms in the event of another catastrophic storm like Hurricane Katrina.

During a live interview with a New Orleans radio station, Riley acknowledged that citizens may, under state law, carry firearms. He said, however, that police will confiscate firearms, and may arrest people, arguing that "During an exigent circumstance like that, we cannot allow people to walk the street carrying guns."

"We believe Riley's decision is a flagrant disregard of the federal court action, Louisiana state law and both the Louisiana and federal constitutional protections of the right to keep and bear arms," Gottlieb said in his letter to Gonzales.

"We're writing to General Gonzales in an effort to prevent Riley and officers under his command from committing the same egregious civil rights violations they did last year," Gottlieb explained. "It is outrageous that Riley would plan such actions when he knows they violate both state law and the state and federal constitutions. His claim that 'exigent circumstances' would allow such confiscations is preposterous.

TrueBrit

imported post

I believe I read it on an Alex Jones website today, that the Chief in N.O. has backed down over gun confiscation, according to Mr. Gottlieb of the SAF.

Let's wait and see if any more comes of this.

TrueBrit.

ProguninTN

imported post

TrueBrit wrote:
I believe I read it on an Alex Jones website today, that the Chief in N.O. has backed down over gun confiscation, according to Mr. Gottlieb of the SAF.

Let's wait and see if any more comes of this.

TrueBrit.
I hope you're right.

VApatriot

imported post

hirundo82 wrote:
Wasn't there a statute that just passed the Louisiana legislature outlawing gun confiscation during a state of emergency?
That is exactly the point of this latest confrontation. The police chief said he would confiscate guns in spite of the new state law.:shock:

Gun_Addict

imported post

He is crawfishing on what he said, but he still plans on stopping people carrying a gun to determine if it is legally owned and why carrying. He also stated that if they had a license, he GUESSED that they would be legal. Here is a link to the video interview:

http://www.wwltv.com/sharedcontent/VideoPlayer/videoPlayer.php?vidId=70084&catId=53

Or just go to wwltv.com to follow the link and also is a written article.

Personally, I don't trust him. It's going to take a constant watch over him and the department. New Orleans is known to do things their way and not follow the state laws or any other.

TrueBrit

imported post

First, a welcome to our new comrade, Gun Addict!

I seem to recall that a lot of Louisiana State law is based on the restrictive Code Napoleon,rather than English Common Law, which holds sway in all other States.

Nonetheless, the fact that N.O.,with its Mayor Chocolate and its out of control cops does things its own way, is most disturbing !

One can only hope that, if these buffoons step out of line again,they will have their feet held to the fire by the NRA, SAF, GOA, the full nine yards!

TrueBrit.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Does anyone know Riley's background? Heck, Nagin's for that matter? I'll look it up. It may bekind oflike Marion Barry, in DC., for all we know.

joekareca

imported post

I'm sorry you feel that way , but i'll carry in my car if need be. but when the middle east people start killing your family because they hateus andhappen to be in that building they blow up you might change your mind. I don't need a thing to say i can oc, cc or whatever. but if you do some reserch on how many people we have in this country, you would freak out like i did. its just a matter of time! that's all i'm gonna say about it and you wont here from me again! i'll do my thing and you do yours. good day & good by!

WhiteRabbit22

DMB

imported post

Karecajoe54 wrote:
....but when the middle east people start killing your family because they hateus andhappen to be in that building they blow up you might change your mind. I don't need a thing to say i can oc, cc or whatever. but if you do some reserch on how many people we have in this country, you would freak out like i did. its just a matter of time!
You really need to stop with the psycho-babble. It makes no sense and detracts from intelligent conversation. Thanks.