• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VCDL Picnic

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

I am going to try to go, but I am not sure. If so, I will see you there.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Spent the weekend down at Foster Falls State Park. I must say it is one of Virginias hidden treasures. I think it is one of the best run parks and campgrounds I have been too. Much better than the National Parks I have been to lately. Unfortunately it is a no open carry zone, however permit holders are exempted but must keep their weapons concealed. While no guns were visable, more than a few magazine carriers were and there was some heavy printing for sure.

VApatriot

imported post

longwatch wrote:
Spent the weekend down at Foster Falls State Park. I must say it is one of Virginias hidden treasures. I think it is one of the best run parks and campgrounds I have been too. Much better than the National Parks I have been to lately. Unfortunately it is a no open carry zone, however permit holders are exempted but must keep their weapons concealed. While no guns were visable, more than a few magazine carriers were and there was some heavy printing for sure.
Can you please enlighten us all on how a state park can set extra rules about whomay carry and how theymay carry, without the park going against state preemption? Not even county parks are allowed to do that (with one minor exception).

VApatriot

imported post

Mike wrote:
Becasue there is no state agency preemption - what locality exception are you talking about?

See http://www.vcdl.org/new/kilgore_opinion.pdffor background on state park comprimise.
I don't know how it is in all counties, but in Fairfax County you are not allowed to carry any pneumatic air guns in or within 100 yards of a county park. It seems that this restriction is legal because the state code specifically delegate the regulation of air guns to the counties. Like I said, a bit of a minor restriction.

Fairfax County Code: http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?pid=10051&sid=46

State Code: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915.4

longwatch

imported post

The restriction in Fairfax does not apply if you are carrying for self defense purposes. It is basically a hunting restriction as I read it and within the authority allowed localities.

VApatriot

imported post

longwatch wrote:
The restriction in Fairfax does not apply if you are carrying for self defense purposes. It is basically a hunting restriction as I read it and within the authority allowed localities.
After reading the code more carefully, I would say you are again correct. However, I wounder, does the exception for personal safety mean that one could also carry a pneumatic gun on school grounds for self defence? It would seem that way to me, unless the state law about guns on school grounds already covers air guns.

longwatch

imported post

I would say yes it does, at least on the grounds, more so 16 year olds and up could open carry airguns for self defense in Fairfax.