• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transit Issues

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Ravenhawk wrote:
Bookman wrote:
What is the current standing with Metro Transit concerning OC/CC?
I OC on Kent bus often never a problem.
I don't ride the bus very often anymore, but I'm expecting my permit any day now and don't want to make any foolish mistakes. I believe it's perfectly legal for anyone but the driver. Unfortunately, as far as I know, it's in their employment contract that they can't carry while at work. I DO know that the courts upheld that decision in the past.

irfner

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I sent an e-mail to Susan Millbank the ombudsman for Spokane Transit and received this reply.

Mike,

Spokane Transit’s rule of conduct concerning firearms is:

“Carrying, exhibiting, displaying, or drawing any firearm, dagger, sword, knife or other cutting or stabbing instrument, club, or any other weapon apparently capable of producing bodily harm, in a manner, under circumstances, and at a time and place that either manifests an intent to intimidate another or that warrants alarm for the safety of other persons, unless otherwise authorized by law; (RCW 9.41.270)”

If a bus operator notices a weapon that he/she believes is capable of producing bodily harm, I can assure you that security and the police will be called. It is not up to the operator to discern if a weapon is legal. That task will be left to law enforcement personnel.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Susan Millbank

Community Ombudsman

Spokane Transit

1230 W Boone Ave

Spokane, WA 99201

(509) 325-6094

smillbank@spokanetransit.com

http://www.spokanetransit.com

I sent the following response

Susan
Thank you for your fast response. It is interesting though since the Washington courts have repeatedly ruled that a holstered weapon is not in violation of (RCW 9.41.270) and does not warrant alarm. Other transit agencies throughout the state are training their employees accordingly. I have attached a copy of a King County Police Training Bulletin for your reference.
Mike

Nivek

imported post

irfner wrote:
Susan
Thank you for your fast response. It is interesting though since the Washington courts have repeatedly ruled that a holstered weapon is not in violation of (RCW 9.41.270) and does not warrant alarm. Other transit agencies throughout the state are training their employees accordingly. I have attached a copy of a King County Police Training Bulletin for your reference.
Mike

Do you have a link for that training bulletin? Would be a nice thing to read!

DEROS72

imported post

I ride Metro OC and CC all over Federal way,Seatac ,etc.Not one driver has ever questioned me.

Bear 45/70

imported post

Bookman wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:
I ride Metro OC and CC all over Federal way,Seatac ,etc.Not one driver has ever questioned me.
No offense, big guy, but some people can say the same for Costco, even though their corporate policy says "no guns".
Don't want to pop your bubble but way back in the 80s, Metro knew they couldn't restrict carry of a firearm. They tried with me and the cops basically just laughed and went about their business, twice that Metro called onme. So Metro knows guns are legal.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Bookman wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:
No offense, big guy, but some people can say the same for Costco, even though their corporate policy says "no guns".
Don't want to pop your bubble but way back in the 80s, Metro knew they couldn't restrict carry of a firearm. They tried with me and the cops basically just laughed and went about their business, twice that Metro called onme. So Metro knows guns are legal.
COOL!:celebrate:celebrate Thanks, Bear!:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate
Edit: You're not popping any bubbles. I'm just being cautious.

trevorthebusdriver

imported post

My "The Book" (750 page book issued to all Metro employees 3 times a year-talk about a waste of paper) says:

I have to fill out a "Security Incident Report" if a weapon is displayed or implied.

I read that as someone saying "I'm gonna pull out my gun" or actually pulling out thier gun and waving/pointing it...

It also says "If there is an assult, robbery or weapon display or threat of such on the coach" I should press the EA(Emergency Alarm which summons the Transit Police)

Again, I read that to mean waving it around.

I will ask my boss or the Transit Police in the next couple days what the deal is.

DEROS72

imported post

Bear 45/70 wrote:
Bookman wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:
I didn,t know that....I wasn,t carrying back then or never rode a bus untill about a year ago.

Bear 45/70

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Bear 45/70 wrote:
Bookman wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:
I didn,t know that....I wasn,t carrying back then or never rode a bus untill about a year ago.
I lived on the west side of the sound and ferried over to Fauntleroy and bussed to 1st and Spokane to work. No rule against guns at Western Union then. The first time I was CC and dropped my bus pass. Bent over in the doorway to retrieve the pass and the driver saw my shoulder rig when my jacket came open. Then the moron waits until I'm on the bus next to him to say I can't have that, pointing to the gun, on his bus. I say yes I can and tried to show him my permit. He wants none of it and calls dispatch after closing the door. Now the moron has trapped a guy, on his bus that he has called the cops on. If I was a bad guy he would have been dead. Instead I backed away, sat on the steps at the door with my permit in my hand. An SPD Sgt arrives, moron opens the door and I hand my permit to the Sgt. He scans it quickly , hands it back an says "He's legal." and walks away. The next day, the same driver tried the same stunt, same Sgt, same resultonly this time the Sgt asks moron the name of the person telling him to do this. Never another word from the driver about it.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Bear, You worked for Western Union?

"TELEGRAM FOR MONGO, TELEGRAM FOR MONGO":celebrate:celebrate

Bear 45/70

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
Bear, You worked for Western Union?

"TELEGRAM FOR MONGO, TELEGRAM FOR MONGO":celebrate:celebrate
Worked in their Electronics/Satellite Switching Center south of 1st and Spokane, next to the Buffalo Sanitary Wiper building, as an inside electronics tech. Never ever touched a telegram. Did see a few when dispatched to the Pioneer Square Telegraph Office for equipment repairs. Good job with a totally mismanaged company. When the protections/restrictions for the Bell System phone companies ended so did Western Union's protection from competition and they weren't smart enough to compete in an open market.:banghead: