• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Car

possumboy

imported post

During the summer, my Open Carry normally drops - mainly because of clothing. I do conceal carry in a book bag.

When I get in my car, I remove my gun from the bag, and place it on the seat or on the dash.

So far, no issues.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Hip or shoulder holster? If you have a CHP, no problem with potential seatbelt concealment issue.

We tried to get the General Assembly to join the 16 states which don't require a permit to carry concealed in cars - the Senate changed the exception to a locked glovebox, then the Gov. vetoed it. So much for privacy and safety.

I hate to tell non-permit holders to levae a gun on the seat to be sure you are not accused of concealing...but what else can you do? Maybe make a special holster mounted in the car?

possumboy

imported post

I do not have a holster during the summer because I'm usually in t-shirt, shorts (cloth), and sandles. I carry my ID, money, medication, gun, and other items in a bag.

I'm just paranoid that I will need to get my ID from my bag, and have problems when I tell the LEO that I have to get my ID from my bag, and I am legally carrying.

I like to Open Carry as much as possible. I have been though a couple of checkpoints with a hip holster, without problems, but with therecent problems with LEOs in VA right now, I want to know I'm in the right.

darrel_h

imported post

possumboy, i notice that your profile says you are in the dumfries area. i just moved to lake ridge about a month or two ago from alexandria and, as i posted on one of the other topics on here, am not sure of how accepted it is around the woodbridge area to open carry. you said you prefer to open carry and have been doing so so i was hoping you could shed a little light on this subject for me and maybe give me some places, restaraunts and such, that you have been received openly. i know potomac mills is a no-no, but not sure of anywhere else. what about places like best buy and borders? any help will be appreciated.

now, as for your carrying in the bookcase, you should be fine. personally i usually carry concealed anyways, and i leave it on when i am driving, typically. as long as you have your ccw on you then it won't be a problem, unless you run into one of those high and mighty, non-gun educated leo's, but you would have a problem either way in that case. my suggestion would be to leave it in the bag (that way it's not in plain site and less likely to fly around in a tight cornering maneuver) and if you are stopped let the leo know it's there before reaching. he may pull you out of the car and get the id and ccw himself, but to me that's understandable for his safety. but other than that i wouldn't imagine you having a problem. good luck man, hope i was some help.

possumboy

imported post

I have OC'ed in both borders and best buy. It really depends on my mood and how I am dressed.

I do not OC in Potomac Mills either, only concealed. I usually only go there for the movies are when my wife wants to go. I do have the habit of walking through the parking lot OPEN, and then concealing at the entrances.

I OC'ed before I had my CHP. I got my CHP mainly for parks because that is the law. You can conceal carry in parks with permit, and cannot OC - period.

I should probably start asubject of where I OC for Woodbridge. I went to Bento's today. Getting ready to leave for TKD class right now. I will conceal in my bag.

zoom6zoom

imported post

docwatson wrote:
I wonder how a thigh holster would be interpreted - concealed or open while driving?
If you can clearly see the grips, in my opinion (IANAL) that would constitute open carry, regardless of where upon your person it was located.

possumboy

imported post

I believe code states that open carry in a car is on the front seat, or dashboard.

Anywhere else is not considered open carry. If an officer wants, he or shecould push the issue that it was not "readily visible" while on your thigh.

I usually place it on the seat next to me if no one is there. I do have a CHP, so it really doesn't matter, I just like to OC whenever possible.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

possumboy wrote:
I have OC'ed in both borders and best buy. It really depends on my mood and how I am dressed.

I do not OC in Potomac Mills either, only concealed. I usually only go there for the movies are when my wife wants to go. I do have the habit of walking through the parking lot OPEN, and then concealing at the entrances.

I OC'ed before I had my CHP. I got my CHP mainly for parks because that is the law. You can conceal carry in parks with permit, and cannot OC - period.

I should probably start asubject of where I OC for Woodbridge. I went to Bento's today. Getting ready to leave for TKD class right now. I will conceal in my bag.

I cc'd at Potomac Mills the other night, based on the VCDL web site. Entered through the JCPenney outlet. Couldn't find a single sign prohibiting weapons. Is it only at the main entrance?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Tess wrote:
I cc'd at Potomac Mills the other night, based on the VCDL web site. Entered through the JCPenney outlet. Couldn't find a single sign prohibiting weapons. Is it only at the main entrance?
Don't ask, donl't tell applies to OpenCarry too sometimes - why look for signs?

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

I have a CHP, but, I OC as much as possible in my car and outside of it. I usually put my weapon on my dashboard because if I ever get stopped, I don't want there to be any question to any LEO that I have a weapon. Just use common sense, and, you should be all right. For instance, I would not have my weapon on my dash if I am taking my 10 year old daughter to school (for obvious reasons). For instance, if it is dark, you may want to use the dashboard instead of the passenger seat since it will be hard for the LEO to see a loaded weapon on the passenger seat than on the dashboard. Again, common sense prevails. Bad neighborhoods - CC; good neighborhoods - OC. All I hope anyone gets out of this is to use common sense. I am not saying that what I am suggesting is right for everyone. Just be smart and look at it from the perspective of the LEO.

2nd Amendment..........Use it............Or, lose it!!!:X