• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying in Lynchburg, Virginia

1COOLPO

Opt-Out Members
imported post

I work in Lynchburg, Virginia as a Probation/Parole Officer. I was out of the office doing field work and decided to stop at Wal-Mart on Wards Road to get some chicken strips for lunch. Upon entering the store, I was approached by one of the managers and told that I could not enter the store with my gun. When I showed him my badge and explained to him that I was a Probation/Parole Officer, he indicated to me that Probation/Parole Officers were not considered law-enforcement in his eyes. I suddenly realized that I was about to argue with an idiot, and I simply walked out of the store. Nonetheless, this Wal-Mart will never get my business. By the way, I find it ironic that this Wal-Mart sells firearms in the sporting goods section. Just a little thought. :?

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE!
GUNS KILL DINNER!

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

1COOLPO wrote:
I work in Lynchburg, Virginia as a Probation/Parole Officer. I was out of the office doing field work and decided to stop at Wal-Mart on Wards Road to get some chicken strips for lunch. Upon entering the store, I was approached by one of the managers and told that I could not enter the store with my gun. When I showed him my badge and explained to him that I was a Probation/Parole Officer, he indicated to me that Probation/Parole Officers were not considered law-enforcement in his eyes. I suddenly realized that I was about to argue with an idiot, and I simply walked out of the store. Nonetheless, this Wal-Mart will never get my business. By the way, I find it ironic that this Wal-Mart sells firearms in the sporting goods section. Just a little thought. :?

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE!
GUNS KILL DINNER!
Wow! I am speechless!

He is willing to bet your life on the chance that someone whose parole you had to revoke years ago will not decide to take his revenge on you if you meet them in the WalMart?

You should contact corporate and complain heavily. From what I understand of their corporate culture, they will come down hard on this manager. I have had good luck getting pro-gun responses out of WalMart as a consumer. As a LEO, you should get a great response.

Hit them where it hurts, with the fear of liability. Describe the scenario I gave above and ask them if they are willing to guarantee your safety. Let us know how it turns out.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

In Lynchburg?:shock:Just kidding, in a way. Glockman is right. His eyes. There's another post about Wal-Mart in here, somewhere and that it is 1.) Not a corporate policy, 2.) Not posted at any entrance. That said, if they ask you to leave, do so. You don't have to go back to that store. I'd drop a note on Wally-World's Corporate Office. They'd most likely take care of "educating" that store's manager.

VAspringer

imported post

I open carry on a regular basis at the several Wal-Marts in Northern Virginia.

Never had a problem or question........have even has some discussions with Mgrs. in the sporting goods department about the weapon I was carrying.

I agree with John and the other posters......Contact the corporate offices and tell them your story.

DoubleR

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just posted this on the "Hampton Walmart" posting, too.
Here's some Walmart Contact Info for us:
Phone
To reach the Contact Center of Wal-Mart Stores, call 1-800-WALMART (1-800-925-6278), from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday, from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. (CT) Saturday or from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. (CT) Sunday.
To reach the home office, call 479-273-4000, from 7 a.m. to 5:25 p.m. (CT) Monday - Friday.

Mail
Mail questions or comments about our stores or home office to:
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
Attn: Customer Service
702 S.W. 8th Street
Bentonville, AR 72716

Additional Walmart Contact Info - This link will take you to Walmart's Online Feedback page. You will be able to select the exact store in question.
http://walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=224

cs9c1

imported post

This is one of those times that would make my blood boil. Who the hell does that manager think he is to dictate law to anyone or to decide who is or is not an LEO. I am begging the original poster to follow the advice of the others and contact the main offices of Wal-Mart. I have to give it to the original poster for keeping his cool and not arguing. I would never shop their again without an apology.