• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Happened in the NRA-sponsored D.C. Lawsuit

EagleFiveZero

imported post

Some time ago, I read with keen interest the Hoopla made by the NRA-sponsored lawsuit attempting to restore the rights of DC citizens to own firearms. It seemed like a great idea at the time.

....But now I am not sure what the heck the status is of that case. Anyone know???

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

EagleFiveZero wrote:
Some time ago, I read with keen interest the Hoopla made by the NRA-sponsored lawsuit attempting to restore the rights of DC citizens to own firearms. It seemed like a great idea at the time.

....But now I am not sure what the heck the status is of that case. Anyone know???
The NRA backed Seegars vs Ashcroft

The NRA filed Seegars vs Ashcroft in an attempt to short circuit Parker vs DC which was filed by the CATO institute.

The federal D.C. District Court upheld D.C.'s handgun ban in a decision issued on January 14, 2004. U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton dismissed the lawsuit and ruled that, "The Second Amendment does not confer an individual a right to possess firearms. Rather, the Amendment's objective is to ensure the vitality of state militias."

The NRA appealed the judge's ruling on July 28, 2004. The U.S. Court of Appeals heard oral argument on November 17, 2004, and on January 10, 2005, dismissed the appeal by a 2-1 vote. The court found that the plaintiffs did not have standing to challenge the statute as none of the plaintiffs faced imminent criminal prosecution (which the plaintiffs in the Parker vs DC did).

The NRA asked for a rehearing by the full panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals, which was rejected on June 21, 2005.

The Cato backed Parker vs DC

Parker vs DC had been ordered suspended pending the outcome of Seegars vs Ashcroft.

In June, 2005, when the appellate court declined to re-hear the Seegars matter, they ordered the parties in Parker to again brief the question of how the case should proceed.

In November, 2005, the appellate court denied the defendants' motions to dismiss our appeal or summarily affirm the judgment, and granted our motions to set the case for argument on the merits. It will be argued before the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals sometime in 2006.

For up-to-the-minute details of this case, the lawfirm of Gura & Possessky maintain a complete record of their work on this important case.

ProtectMd

imported post

In either case, whether they decide to allow citizens to carry or not, I believe that they should activate DC's standing militia to patrol the SE portion of the city due to the current crime emergency that the city doesn't have a handle on.