• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

It's Infectious

eBratt

imported post

I open carry probably 70% of the time now. One recent foray was to Fat Cats here in Provo to eat at the attached Costa Vida. I have open carried several times before to pick up food to take home, but have never stayed.

This time, my wife, daughter, and I all decided to stick around to eat. We got our food and sat down without a single second look. With my wife being 8 months pregnant and my daughter only being two, I was the designated soda-refiller and as such made several trips from our table to the soda machine.

There were two college age males sitting at the table next to us that I walked by at least three times. Right after I walked by and was up at the soda fountain, my wife overheard one of the guys say to the other, "Whoa, I didn't think that was legal [referring to my open carrying my SW 642]." The other one replies, "No, it's completely legit if you have your concealed permit." "Really? I've got to get mine."

Couldn't have asked for a better outcome to that.

SFC Stu

imported post

Another case of people not knowing the law. Good job. SFC Stu

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Right - utah requires a CHP to carry loaded openly; Open Israeli carry without permit is OK too.

Any chance we can get Utah to relax on guns in cars like TX and 15 other states? I.e., allow at least some kind of concealed carry without a permit inside cars?

overtaxed1

imported post

Mike wrote:
Any chance we can get Utah to relax on guns in cars like TX and 15 other states? I.e., allow at least some kind of concealed carry without a permit inside cars?
Car carry has been tried recently, but shot down (pun intended). The failure of this bill (I think-but don't quote me) was due partly to the Sheriffs Association and the Police Chiefs coming out against it.

It is too bad that it died without getting a full vote.

overtaxed1

imported post

In Utah, without a CWP, the gun is supposed to locked and stowed out of reach (not in glovebox or console) for transport. I drive a Jeep and that law was a big reason I got my CWP so I can take my gun to the range or to the trail when hiking without issues.

TrueBrit

imported post

Forgive the ignorance of this Limey Gentile, but what, pray, constitutes Israeli carry?Is it something like sideways sights for ghetto Glocks, or hillbilly speedloaders(elastic bands)?:D

TrueBrit.

overtaxed1

imported post

TrueBrit:

I believe that Israeli carry is a full mag, but no round in the chamber. The Israeli Army is required to carry this way. In Utah, an unloaded gun is considered at least two actions from firing. So a person can carry a semi-auto "Israeli-style" because it takes two actions (racking the slide and pulling the trigger) to fire the gun.

HTH

Overtaxed1

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

right - and I believe the condition 2 carry is legal only for open carry - so you need to a permit in Utah to open carry with a loaded (round chambered) gun and a permit to conceal any gun - that's my understanding.

cs9c1

imported post

Mike wrote:
right - and I believe the condition 2 carry is legal only for open carry - so you need to a permit in Utah to open carry with a loaded (round chambered) gun and a permit to conceal any gun - that's my understanding.
Damn, nothing like making it confusing. I am liking Virginia more and more, good thing since I am retiring here;). Now if we could just get rid of that dumb restaurant law.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

We did try permitless car carry the last legislative session; it was SB 24 sponsored by Senator Mark Madsen. Links to the various versions of the bill can be viewed here http://www.le.state.ut.us/~2006/SB0001ht.htm.The second and third substitutes were attempts to get SOMETHING past a hostile committee.

The bill was heavily opposed by a couple of associations of big business. Law enforcement was basically split on the bill and did not actively oppose it much.

Sadly, the bill got VERY little support from rank and file gun owners in Utah. For anyone who has a permit, such changes have no personal impact so too many of our otherwise most active gun owners simply don't care, at best. At worst, some actually oppose such changes believing, it seems, that nobody should be carrying a gun without some formal training and a State license.

Those interested in advancing the RIGHT to own and carry guns in Utah (openly or concealed) should go to http://www.GOUtahOrg.org and sign up for our free alerts.

Charles Hardy

Public Policy Director

GOUtah! (Gun Owners of Utah)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Narcisist wrote:
This post got a little confusing as I read, so can I ask for clarity? Is it ok to open carry in a car, or do I have to lock it in the trunk everytime I get in?

Do you have a concealed handgun permit issued by, or accepted by Utah? If so, no reason to lock it up.

Otherwsie, you can carry openly in vehicle if gun is"unloaded" per Utah law.

Narcisist

imported post

No, I don't have a ccp, but I'm working toward it. "Unloaded" is two actions away from firing right? So if there isn't a round chambered I can open carry in my truck with a ccp?

mazellan819

imported post

You can carry loaded in your truck with a ccp. Without one, you have to lock it up unloaded while in your vehicle. I know its a stupid law but its the law. It also has to be in accessible to anyone in the car. I hope this helps.

30 cal slut

imported post

israeli carry = no round in the chamber for pistol, hammer down on an empty cylinder for revolver.

UTOC-45-44

imported post

mazellan819 wrote:
You can carry loaded in your truck with a ccp. Without one, you have to lock it up unloaded while in your vehicle. I know its a stupid law but its the law. It also has to be in accessible to anyone in the car. I hope this helps.
Utah Code Section 76-10-505

[size=-1]76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street. (1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm: ...
le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_0C034.htm - 2k - Cached - Similar pages[/size]

[size=-1]76-10-505. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle or on street.
(1) Unless otherwise authorized by law, a person may not carry a loaded firearm:
(a) in or on a vehicle;
(b) on any public street; or
(c) in a posted prohibited area.
(2) A violation of this section is a class B misdemeanor.

Amended by Chapter 328, 1990 General Session
Download Code Section Zipped WP 6/7/8 76_0C034.ZIP 1,712 Bytes

[/size]

Utah Code Section 76-10-501

[size=-1]76-10-501. Definitions. As used in this part: (1) (a) "Antique firearm" means any firearm: (i) (A) with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, ...
http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_0C030.htm - 11k - ]http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_0C030.htm+76-10-501&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us]Cached[/url] - ]http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_0C030.htm]Similar pages[/url][/size]
(18) "Securely encased" means not readily accessible for immediate use, such as held in a gun rack, or in a closed case or container, whether or not locked, or in a trunk or other storage area of a motor vehicle, not including a glove box or console box.

[size=-1]IT STATES NO SUCH THING THAT IT HAS TO BE INACCESSABLE. YOU COULD COULD ( FOR NON-PERMIT HOLDER ) [/size]

[size=-1]TRAVEL DOWN THE ROAD AND HAVE THE FIREARM IN A TUPPERWARE NEXT TO YOU [/size]

[size=-1]AND IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE LOCKED // COPS JUST STATES THIS TO PUT SOME SCARE TACTICS OUT THERE [/size]

[size=-1]" I HAVE A BADGE" THING.[/size]

[size=-1][/size]

[size=-1]GOOD LUCK [/size]

cygnl7

imported post

UTOC-45-44 wrote:
mazellan819 wrote:

[size="-1"]IT STATES NO SUCH THING THAT IT HAS TO BE INACCESSABLE. YOU COULD COULD ( FOR NON-PERMIT HOLDER ) [/size]

[size="-1"]TRAVEL DOWN THE ROAD AND HAVE THE FIREARM IN A TUPPERWARE NEXT TO YOU [/size]

[size="-1"]AND IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE LOCKED // COPS JUST STATES THIS TO PUT SOME SCARE TACTICS OUT THERE [/size]

[size="-1"]" I HAVE A BADGE" THING.[/size]

[size="-1"][/size]

[size="-1"]GOOD LUCK [/size]
Don't forget the U.S. code, as well.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

So it looks like "the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."