• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

POT and Firearms... oh boy

Mapnapkin

I know a lot of people that smoke pot, I don't. I do drink though.
I don't drink to get drunk but occasionally it happens.
You wouldn't handle firearms while your drunk right?
Pot does alter your mind just like alcohol.

I personally have no problems legalizing pot but whether you believe pot should be legal or not, you shouldn't handle firearm while smoking.. just like alcohol.

You have to admit.. pot does hinder your clarity of thought.

(started new from "First ever encounter at my apartments" thread)

grishnav

You wouldn't handle firearms while your drunk right?

I avoid handling firearms and driving while drinking, along with anything else that seems ill-advised.

I personally have no problems legalizing pot but whether you believe pot should be legal or not, you shouldn't handle firearm while smoking.. just like alcohol.

Does anyone on this forum actually disagree on this point? I certainly don't.

Aryk45XD

I don't like the topic, but I've never responded.
When I'm inebriated I'm with family. I don't carry on me, but I put it in a place that is safe and the right people always know where it is. I do occasionally take the .22 double action out late at night.

amzbrady

I don't like the topic, but I've never responded.
When I'm inebriated I'm with family. I don't carry on me, but I put it in a place that is safe and the right people always know where it is. I do occasionally take the .22 double action out late at night.

I have never lost a friend due to a pot related accident, I have lost many due to alcohol. I dont condone pot, because it is against the law. If it were legal, which I would rather see and alcohol outlawed, then yay. Until then pot, alcohol, or any other mind altering prescribed or non-prescribed substance should not be mixed with firearms, or vehicles or heavy equipment.

.45ACPaddy

What it boils down to is personal responsibility. Do you know how you react to substances? Do you know exactly how much and how it affects you? For some, four beers won't hinder judgment at all, but for others, two may severely impair judgment. Specifically addressing a situation in one's own home: It's safer not to partake in any sort of mind altering substance while carrying, but if one does, it's safer not to carry. In public, DO NOT CARRY WHILE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ANY SUBSTANCE!

I don't drink anywhere outside of my own home and outside of a very select few friends' homes. I know my own limits and don't exceed them. When it comes down to a choice between being under the influence and being protected, I choose being protected.

What if someone breaks into my house at 4am while I'm drunk? What then? Judgment is impaired, aim may be out of whack, and reaction times are definitely drastically increased. Bad scenario.

What if someone breaks into my house at 4am while I'm sober? Bad scenario, but better than the first. At least I can make a sound judgment call on whether to shoot or not, I can aim, and my reaction time is most likely relatively close to when I'm on the range.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
What a topic for a 2nd Amendment Group that keeps telling the public they are law abiding and responsible in society and yet SOME promote partaking in illegal drugs.

FRIGGIN STUPID :banghead:

Thankfully there are more here that do not promote this stupidity.

Last edited:

Lovenox

We cannot, with any semblance of integrity, ask the police to follow laws when some on the board zealously advocate the breaking of other statues. We are quick to point out RCWs to the police when they are out of line yet fail to yield to our own standards when it comes to illicit drug use. It would not be out of the question for an investigative reporter or a New Age Snoop (blogger) with less than honorable intentions to come on here take your pro marijuana stance and run with it. Only to convert what you deem to be a harmless statement and political position on pot and brush our organization as one that haphazardly condones the mixture of illicit drug use and gun play.
Let us here no more of this in the open or at a minimum PM each other. Thats my .02.

Beretta92FSLady

I do not consume alcohol, or any type of drugs. If I did, I would lock my firearms up.

IMO, anyone who drinks to the point of intoxication or smoke marijuana to the point of uncontrollable munchies are opening themselves up to a dangerous situation. Firearms, whether locked up or not are like fuel to fire when someone is out of control, yes, drinking or smoking causes a person to be out of control.

amlevin

We cannot, with any semblance of integrity, ask the police to follow laws when some on the board zealously advocate the breaking of other statues. We are quick to point out RCWs to the police when they are out of line yet fail to yield to our own standards when it comes to illicit drug use. It would not be out of the question for an investigative reporter or a New Age Snoop (blogger) with less than honorable intentions to come on here take your pro marijuana stance and run with it. Only to convert what you deem to be a harmless statement and political position on pot and brush our organization as one that haphazardly condones the mixture of illicit drug use and gun play.
Let us here no more of this in the open or at a minimum PM each other. Thats my .02.

You beat me to it. I guess it's a matter of "abide by the laws we agree with, to hell with the rest".

If we don't like the laws that we have there are three choices. Go ahead and follow them, Change them, or CHANGE THE PEOPLE THAT MAKE THEM.

If all the energy that is put into complaining about our "pot" laws was redirected into changing the idiots that occupy our Congress and Legislatures we'd see some real progress.

I totally agree that people should be allowed to do what they want, right up to the point that their actions place me in jeopardy. If you want to smoke enough pot so that in comparison to you Tommy Chong looks like a genius, great. Just don't go out in public with your gun or car. Since so far most people haven't demonstrated their ability to control their actions when stoned. I guess we'll be stuck with these laws.

Everyone sees laws like this as an infringement on their "Rights". I see it as a way of preventing someone from infringing on my number one right. The right to not be killed by someone who's under the influence of a mind altering substance.

Don't like it, then do what you can to get the law changed.

Last edited:

Leatherneck

Calm down people!!!

The OP doesn't promote smoking pot! He's simply pointing out that he feels firearms shouldn't be handled while someone is under its influence, just like alcohol.
Call the dogs off people!

I knew this would become a thread of its own. It's been a hot side topic on many other threads.

(btw- nice pic mapnapkin!)