• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wisconsin stores that infringe upon our rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

protias

Just noticed it tonight and they are closed. Its no lose to me as i didn't like his store its extremely cluttered and hard to walk around in and i didn't see anything i would want in there just figured i would add it as its posted. When o talked to him the other day he asked me how it was legal to carry a gun like i was and i explained it to him and then he asked if i could carry it anywhere i wanted. I told him currently i could not carry it within 1000' of a school (on public land) anywhere with a class b (without permission) and anywhere otherwise posted no firearms.:banghead: apparently he was asking for other reasons than being interested in open carry.

Ah, so he was looking to find a way to keep law abiding citizens out of his store and allow criminals free reign... :banghead:

bmwguy11

Glacier hills credit union. Lady at the front desk said that is their policy to not allow guns. She sounded like your typical fearful liberal. At first she tried to claim it was against the law to have weapons in a bank. lol

Snake161

Attention;in regards to woodmans of appleton

ATTENTION

Hello, I know I have been scarce lately, but today 09/18/2011 at approximately 2:45 pm I was shopping at Woodman's in Appleton with my girlfriend when I was asked at the checkout to never come back with my firearm and that I do not come back into the store until un-holstered. I carry as usual, basically ignoring its there, not calling attention to myself. They cited company policy as being not allowing firearms in the store. I replied by letting them know that I have not seen that posted on the entrances around the building. They acknowledged that it indeed is not. He then attempted to say that it was posted on a company policy list at the front desk. I marched over there and read that to double check. Nothing of any sort was on the list. I asked to have the names of the two that asked me to leave, and made sure to let them know I caught them in their lie. I also made sure to tell them that it is indeed legal to carry in Wisconsin, and that you do not need a permit, since the less informed front end manager said that he figured I had a "permit" but still wanted me to leave.

Either way, I will be calling the corporate heads. There is no sign or documentation anywhere that states I cannot open carry, and I need to hear it from the top if I am to believe them. The best part is, I have it all on tape. :)

Feel free to enter your input. :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

protias

ATTENTION

Hello, I know I have been scarce lately, but today 09/18/2011 at approximately 2:45 pm I was shopping at Woodman's in Appleton with my girlfriend when I was asked at the checkout to never come back with my firearm and that I do not come back into the store until un-holstered. I carry as usual, basically ignoring its there, not calling attention to myself. They cited company policy as being not allowing firearms in the store. I replied by letting them know that I have not seen that posted on the entrances around the building. They acknowledged that it indeed is not. He then attempted to say that it was posted on a company policy list at the front desk. I marched over there and read that to double check. Nothing of any sort was on the list. I asked to have the names of the two that asked me to leave, and made sure to let them know I caught them in their lie. I also made sure to tell them that it is indeed legal to carry in Wisconsin, and that you do not need a permit, since the less informed front end manager said that he figured I had a "permit" but still wanted me to leave.

Either way, I will be calling the corporate heads. There is no sign or documentation anywhere that states I cannot open carry, and I need to hear it from the top if I am to believe them. The best part is, I have it all on tape. :)

Feel free to enter your input. :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-s-now-to-follow-state-laws&highlight=woodman

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...s-legal-OC-Let-s-thank-them&highlight=woodman

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-full-transcript-Link-here.&highlight=woodman

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Why do we even bother trying to educate folks like you? It must be because we know others will read what we have to say and might take note.

Once you are asked to leave there is no good to be accomplished by asking to be shown the policy, or the sign, or anything else in print anywhere. Working off the basics of trespass law once you are asked to leave anything you do except immediately comply is merely proof of your committing the crime of trespass. Arguing/debating/ranting at the person who asked (OK, told you) to leave just enforces the impression that you are obstinant, bullheaded, and impolite.

Yes, make contact with the store management and work your way up the corporate chain. Meet with them not only to discuss the issue and the incident, but to demonstrate that you are in fact both a law-abiding citizen and someone who can control their emotions and behavior. Remind them that you did nothing when asked to leave but comply with the request - that way they cannot come at you about your behavior.

Private property owners have the right to establish whatever policy/rules they want about the presence of firearms. There are only a very small number of states that have gone to the trouble of specifying the type of or location or color of signage needed to have the force of law. And even in those states a verbal request (command) to leave trumps the ineffectiveness of a sign that does not meet the absolute statutory requrements.

We, as firearms owners, have the right to not patronize establishments that do not welcome us with our firearms, and we have the right to tell others why we will not patronize them, as well as the right to urge others not to patronize them.

But if you want to change someone's mind - either about their existing policy or about their employees/agents creating/enforcing policy that did not come from higher up the food chain, it is always good to remember that force is perhaps the worst technique to use, closely followed by demands for the respect of rights you do not in fact posses with regard to private property.

Sometimes even appeals to logic will not persuade them to change their mind while emotionalism will. Their establishment is just that much less likely to be the scene of a crime if the BGs know that armed citizens could be inside at any time. It's like a free security service in their mind, even if you have no intent to ever protect their property should you be present when a robbery happens. Let them think you might.

Good luck in yourattempt to resolve the matter.

stay safe.

Snake161

Well Skidmark, I have to say, you don't know much about me or even what you are attempting to call me out on. From what I can muster, Woodmans decided that they would be an open carry compliant store.

Not to mention, I have carried there for over 2 years now. This is the first time I have been hassled.

How dare you bring to the table even a hint of my being ill-informed on open carry, much less firearms safety and ownership. I have grown up with them and I am a proponent as well as an active firearms enthusiast.

I'm not your average, run of the mill open carrying sod. I have studied the issue immensely, and I know exactly where I can tread, and rather, where I can't.

There is no posting on ANY entrance of the Woodmans store in question. There are NO postings of any kind regarding weaponry at the service desk.

These two ridiculous people lied in order to have me leave the store because I was going against a customers beliefs.

They attempted to ask about a permit. I flat out said you don't need a permit to carry. They said that store policy was no firearms. I said I saw nothing of the sort and that it should be clearly posted. They then changed their story to this "well the simple fact is, (now obliging without knowing it that they made policy up and I challenged them) we want you to leave".

And guess what I said? No problem.

I went to the car, put my .45 away safely, then squarely went back into the store, asked to see this policy, which didn't exist, and then proceeded to collect the names of the two individuals in question.

The rent-a-cop attempted to cover up the reason there was no policy cited, but fell on his face, figuratively speaking.

And whats more, it is all recorded for my personal records in crystal clear WMA. There is no discrepancy, Skidmark. They went against corporates ruling.

And I have a right to challenge within my means. And I know when to stop. I was not impolite at all.

But I have no dreams of sitting on the sidelines like a wall flower and hoping somebody will listen.

I disregard your posting as it contributes positively nothing to the situation.

I will post the email from corporate shortly.

Good day to you, and please do your best to not judge less ye be judged.

-Snake161-

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Just noticed it tonight and they are closed. Its no lose to me as i didn't like his store its extremely cluttered and hard to walk around in and i didn't see anything i would want in there just figured i would add it as its posted. When o talked to him the other day he asked me how it was legal to carry a gun like i was and i explained it to him and then he asked if i could carry it anywhere i wanted. I told him currently i could not carry it within 1000' of a school (on public land) anywhere with a class b (without permission) and anywhere otherwise posted no firearms.:banghead: apparently he was asking for other reasons than being interested in open carry.

from now on when asked these "questions" all I am going to say is...Open carry is legal in Wisconsin & nothing else. Let them do the research

civilwarguy

from now on when asked these "questions" all I am going to say is...Open carry is legal in Wisconsin & nothing else. Let them do the research

I always try to educate those who are curious... I guess this time he was acting interested for the wrong reasons. I still will not let this stop me from answering questions from those who want info because they themselves would like to carry. I think when we stop doing that the antis have won a small victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.